Gold?

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

Tsunami65

Gold?

Post by Tsunami65 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:44 am

Hi, I seeem to remember there being a long and interesting discussion a while ago about how to get the best gold finish on your KOG/Patraqushe. However, I can't remember any of the answers, nor can I find the thread. Could people please help and let me know how they achieve their gold finish, perhaps accompanied with shots or links to shots of their kits? I would be most grateful,

Dave Ross

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:06 pm

There's a method of achieving a nice gold finish with the use of silver or chrome as base, and a mixture of clear yellow + clear orange on top.

Or, you can just get the "Pale Gold" from Alclad, which is known for their metallic paints.

sarion

Post by sarion » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:15 pm

it's difficult to achieve the same uniformity using this method, cos if u spray the clear mixture too much in one area it will be darker compare to the rest of the part.

i've tried on my KOG.....

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:05 am

You can use Alclad chrome as a base, and then go with a clear yellow/amber overcoat. It's not perfect, but it's cheap, and loads nicer than the "metallic banana" look you get with the Gunze metallics.

The twisted people such as myself will resort to vacuum-metalizing.
John F. Moscato

Tsunami65

Post by Tsunami65 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:33 am

I would love to be able to afford to have a KOG gold plated like the one in Factories... :)

TSP

Post by TSP » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:38 pm

John F. Moscato wrote: The twisted people such as myself will resort to vacuum-metalizing.
What's vacuum metalizing?

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:10 pm

Without getting into the intricacies of the process, it's the equivalent of "metal plating", but for non-metallic objects. Not nearly as expensive as some people think: if you do all the prep for your parts, the metalizing shouldn't be more than $100 or so.

Personally, I don't recommend the gold finish right from the factory: the parts are initially metalized chrome, and they get the gold finish by simply applying a clear orange over the parts. Problem is, the platers don't know a valuable KOG kit from the crack in their butts, and you may end up with some color inconsistencies from one part to the next. The orange/amber overcoat can more finely be applied yourself via airbrush once you've gotten the patys chromed.
John F. Moscato

TSP

Post by TSP » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:16 pm

Thanks! So it would look like it was made of pur Gold then? :twisted: sweet :twisted:

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:28 pm

Pure, bloody, 24K gold baby!!! :twisted:
John F. Moscato

Tsunami65

Post by Tsunami65 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:19 am

John F. Moscato wrote:Pure, bloody, 24K gold baby!!! :twisted:
I am guessing that this is the method used on the KOG in the original Factories book. OK, so the model isn't that well sculpted, or built, but that polished gold looks stunning!