custom lineart idea

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Temjin

custom lineart idea

Post by Temjin » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:43 am

How do you guys feel about the idea of Custom lineart? It seems kind the popular over mahq.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:32 pm

I don't have a lot of time these days to drop by MAHQ so I don't know the details of custom line art. What exactly do you mean by custom line art? Is that line art of Gundam MSV? Fan created line art? Something else?

Sorry to meet your question with more questions but I just want to be sure I understand you.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

kosh

Post by kosh » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:18 pm

Custom line art is new suit designs,new paint schemes/weapon layouts/etc.I love doing them,my prototype Z Plus line art is an example of custom line art (albiet modified from official line art).Why?Watcha got in mind Temjin?
Do you understand?

Temjin

Post by Temjin » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:38 am

Kind the like Kosh said, and correct me if I 'm worng. Custom lineart is copy part of a drawing and overlay it into another drawing to create a new composition. It just modifying other's drawing in that manner bothers me a little.

I don't have a very strong opinion against people who enjoy doing it, it just something to think about.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:48 pm

You're the first one who has brought it up. There's no policy yet. Personally, I don't have a problem with it. Over at Gundam Watch they call them "Frankengundams."

kosh

Post by kosh » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:39 am

That's what they call them at Solomon Suburbs aswell,you take a public domain image and add or subtract pieces and parts to get the design you want.True custom line art starts with a wholey original design,but I don't have that much time anymore and most people group frankens in with custom lne art,calling it modified line art.
Do you understand?

Temjin

Post by Temjin » Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:47 am

heh, that's a funny name for it.

I have a narrow view on a lot of things, but I guess it's about showing some respect to the mecha and the creator, by not cuting up their drawings/designs.

kosh

Post by kosh » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:03 pm

Temjin,you said something about frankens bothered you a little.How do you feel about Katokis redesigns of Okawaras original designs?In a broad sense Katokis' work is "Franken" and these are some of the most celebrated designs in all of gundam.
Do you understand?

Temjin

Post by Temjin » Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:39 am

That's like a different story though, when Katoki redesign stuff he really redesign stuff. He might make tons for sketches to work on the idea. ( Of Course I'm guess here, I have no idea how he does it)

I think "Franken" refering to combining parts from various places and put them together. Like building a monster. Even it doesn't matter how they design their stuff, but modifying someone's drawing is just not right.

Kosh, I know I'm giving you a hard time here, since you like Custom lineart so much. I just want to get my point out, and please don't let me stop what you 'LOVE" to do. :)

kosh

Post by kosh » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:54 pm

Not at all Temjin,I like hearing others opinions and ideas(that's why I'm not so fond of some people over at mahq.).I was simply curious about your take on the subject,everyone has different opinions and I don't get offended at all. :)
Do you understand?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:58 pm

This thread got me thinking about my own opinions on "custom line art." I didn't have much of an opinion on this stuff before but I'm thinking it over now.

Not surprisingly, custom line art doesn't bother me. Granted, there are some things that really get me steamed but this just isn't one of them. I've seen lots of frankengundams done from Mark Simmon's original art. People take MS body parts from 3 or 4 different drawings and connect them to make one "new" mobile suit image. Some people say this isn't creative or original but who said they're trying to be original? What if they just want to have some fun. I have sometimes wondered if these frankens make other fans think up new ideas. Looking at something familiar in a new way can often do that. Also, the fans making frankengundams will probably soon tire of the limitations of "mix and match" art and start drawing their own. However, I think people drawing frankengundams should always give credit to the artists whose images they're cutting up.

Katoki's "re-do's" of Okawara work is cool with me for 2 reasons.
1) He has Okawara's permission and the full backing of the company(s) that own the copyrights.
2) He isn't mixing and matching pre-drawn parts but he's actually drawing the complete image himself by hand.
The fact that he stays true to the ideas behind the original design doesn't hurt either. I wouldn't say he's "re-designing" it. Rather, he's simply tweaking the proportions a bit to make it match up better with more recent Gundam offerings (and, usually, look a little better).

Temjin

Post by Temjin » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:33 am

I guess you're right about fans just wanted to have fun.