something new, non FSS from Nagano?

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

hitori

Post by hitori » Wed May 31, 2006 3:32 pm

Haha, I generally feel the same way as you Rubel.

We know NSG will defend Nagano no matter what.
He just hasn't been an FSS fan long enough! :D
I mean that in a good way though.
In some ways I envy you Nu Soard. ;)

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed May 31, 2006 3:39 pm

I've been thinking over these "breaks" that Nagano takes. It seems to me that he takes either too many breaks or breaks that are too long. Getting fresh ideas for the manga is great but too much "fresh thinking" will derail the direction laid down at the beginning. As a fan it's been fun to see FSS develop over the years but too much "re-thinking" and I'm afraid it will morph into a very different kind of manga.

Hopefully my fears are unfounded.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Falk

Post by Falk » Wed May 31, 2006 5:03 pm

Yup', I agree on this, there are already many inconcistencies and more re-thinking may lead to even more, well I mean more inconcistencies about the "feel" of the manga than about little details like SR2->SR4.

Gunnm (Battle Angel Alita) for instance, the 9 first books are amaizing (the end a bit rushed), but the sequel Gunnm Last Order (whether you like it or not) has not the same feeling, not even the same drawing style.

I already feel this a bit for FSS, if his drawing matured from the first books up to book 10, the last preview of Newtype looked a bit more "simplistic" to me.
More black & white, and less shading (Auge in preview versus Auge first appearance in book 10... Or maybe it's because preview was scans ? I'll make my mind when I eventually buy book 11 & 12... HLJ hasn't restocked yet... if ever :P ).

Edit : Damn ! FSS 12 is in-stock on HLJ

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:03 am

hitori wrote:Haha, I generally feel the same way as you Rubel.

We know NSG will defend Nagano no matter what.
He just hasn't been an FSS fan long enough! :D
I mean that in a good way though.
In some ways I envy you Nu Soard. ;)
Hey, I've been a Nagano/FSS fan for 14 or so years now, since around 1992 (when I first saw the FSS movie) but I've only been following the manga since about 95.
Shinei!

hitori

Post by hitori » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:43 am

Not doubting your devotion since you're the most enthusiastic fan here.
But FSS began to be published in English starting in 1999.
How can you say you've been following the manga if you weren't able to read it? ^_^
Since 1999 Nagano has taken only maybe 3 breaks tops.
You haven't wasted your time enough on this manga yet wahahahaha

Newton

Post by Newton » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:53 pm

Hey man, even the functionally illiterate can follow the pictures! I've been an FSS fan since 1986, trying to figure out what was going on from piecing together the katakana (of which there ain't much) and the pictures.

All in all, I've done a pretty good job for an illiterate... Most likely Sir Graphite has a better grasp on Japanese than yours truly. :D

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:40 pm

My concern is that at the end of the day, Nagano is a businessman who has a family and needs to make money.

If he believes there is a slower demand, say based on manga sales or his data from Volks, WSC on a slower demand on FSS resin kits, he has no choice but to try something new. Something that will sell. But he only has 24 hr. a day, so if that new series sells, he has no choice but to spend more time on it, and cut down on the MH design and storyline of FSS.

Nagano is a manga writer, so let's compare him to William shatner, who's a sci-fi fiction writer. Shatner didn't just write star trek series novel, he also write Tek war, and other causal non-fiction books. If he finds out a drop of his fan and book demand on Tek war, he'll move to write more novels on star trek series instead, this is a very simple issue of supply vs. demand.

I guess abandoning is a strong word, a writer would never say he abandon a certain series, but I have seen many series just die down to a stall due to the creater believes a slower demand is not worth more production/ publication.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:47 pm

My concern is that at the end of the day, Nagano is a businessman
A good point. However, my own impression is that Nagano has more of an artistic temperament and that FSS is something he prizes as his masterpiece. I don't think his heart would allow him to leave it for long.

elemental

Post by elemental » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:22 am

I think Nagano has invested so much of his life into FSS that he would never abandon it.

If he was churning FSS out by the truckload, and licensing products left right and centre, then it might be fair to say FSS is all about money. But considering the fairly relaxed pace at which he writes FSS, I don't think money is his primary motivation.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:14 am

and licensing products left right and centre,
Nagano has taken a relaxed approach to merchandising which is probably good in a lot of ways. Still, I wish I could buy flags of the nations in the Joker system. I would love an AKD or Mirage Corps. flag to hang by my desk at the office. There's other stuff I'd buy if it had a Blood Cross on it. I guess it's the fan boy in me coming out. :wink:

hitori

Post by hitori » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:10 pm

FSS emblems?
I recently saw something interesting.
Check these out. (click on thumbnail for full size)

Image Image Image

They are metal stickers.
About 0.1 mm thick nickel, plated with either silver or gold color (not silver plating/gold plating).

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:42 pm

Those are really cool. Where did you come across those?

hitori

Post by hitori » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:48 pm

I got mine from a friend.
The stickers themselves are made by a fan in South Korea.
Quality is great.
There even is a thin film over the shiny surface to protect the finish and help you position your stickers when you apply.

If there's enough interest, I could probably order some for you.
Each sheet is around 10 bucks and come in two colors: gold look and silver look.

KOG

Post by KOG » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:07 pm

hitori wrote:I got mine from a friend.
The stickers themselves are made by a fan in South Korea.
Quality is great.
There even is a thin film over the shiny surface to protect the finish and help you position your stickers when you apply.

If there's enough interest, I could probably order some for you.
Each sheet is around 10 bucks and come in two colors: gold look and silver look.

I'd probably want some sheets, if you were to order some.

Newton

Post by Newton » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:13 am

I'd be interested in some of those stickers, too!