Hobbyfan vs E2046

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

Jester13

Hobbyfan vs E2046

Post by Jester13 » Wed May 24, 2006 11:35 am

Hi all, I'm new to these forums (n FSS in general :D )
I've got the Wave 1/100 Led Mirage + Boomerang Unit, Wave KOG ver 3, and I want to start with the resin kits!

Can anyone tell me which of the two places is more reliable and which has cheaper shipping?

Btw, I'm from South Africa and importing stuff here is WAY too expensive!
(+ which place import s to the US cheaper?)

So many questions!! Thanks guys!

elemental

Post by elemental » Wed May 24, 2006 12:47 pm

Hi Jester

I've never bought from Hobbyfan, but I have bought from e2046 (but not recently). I think both stores get many of their kits from the same manufacturers in Hong Kong. Quality of kits from e2046 can vary, sometimes good, sometimes not as good. Last time I bought from them, their postage was fairly cheap. The reason I have never bought from Hobbyfan is that their international postage used to be VERY expensive. Not sure if this is still true, but they should tell you on their website how much it will cost you.

Others here who have bought from Hobbyfan will be able to help you more with your questions.

Jester13

Post by Jester13 » Wed May 24, 2006 1:16 pm

Thanks Elemental,
I don't suppose you remember how much the postage was when you bought stuff (ballpark figure?)

sarion

Post by sarion » Wed May 24, 2006 2:24 pm

seems like hobbyfan has dropped their postage fee somewhat, but it can't beat E2046 postage price.

quality wise, i guess both are around the same, i have got kits from both before, also able to get a missing part from a kit from Hobbyfan so their service is ok.

+point for E2046 is their kits are always shipped in a plastic tuppleware-like container to minimise damage.

Jester13

Post by Jester13 » Wed May 24, 2006 2:58 pm

Hey Sarion, thanks!

Does the E2046 stuff come in plastic containers inside the original box? Or no box, just tubs?

+ can anyone tell me what it cost to get the stuff to them? On the sites I can't get an accurate estimate, they want me to buy, THEN e-mail me the shipping cost

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed May 24, 2006 3:39 pm

I've bought from both.

On average, I think the quality of the stuff I get from Hobbyfan is a bit better.

Hobbyfan also seems a bit better in the customer service area... they process my orders faster, are good about responding to emails, and are very helpful when I have an issue with a missing or broken part.

Jester13

Post by Jester13 » Thu May 25, 2006 7:17 am

How long does it take for Hobbyfan to deliver? (Outside the US)

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Thu May 25, 2006 8:37 am

Jester13 wrote:How long does it take for Hobbyfan to deliver? (Outside the US)
I get my Hobbyfan stuff between 3-5 days, and I live in Australia.

Quality wise for me: HF's recasts are top notch in my eyes. e2046 is absolutely horrendous. I will never, ever again buy a recast from e2046.

Jester13

Post by Jester13 » Thu May 25, 2006 8:51 am

Thanks Jinnai! I reckon you've just sealed the deal for me to buy from Hobbyfan! (I dont really want to gamble with getting a dodgy cast!)

Can u maybe tell me how much delivery cost to you in Aus?

(+ thanks for all the prompt replies guys!)

elemental

Post by elemental » Thu May 25, 2006 12:06 pm

Yes jinnai, how much does it cost to get HF stuff to aus? They used to charge an arm and a leg.

elemental

Post by elemental » Thu May 25, 2006 12:55 pm

jinnai wrote:Quality wise for me: HF's recasts are top notch in my eyes. e2046 is absolutely horrendous. I will never, ever again buy a recast from e2046.
I would agree that e2046 quality can be a bit iffy, but it's not true that they are always absolutely horrendous. My Volks SAV Prom is an e2046 recast. I have no complaints about it. All my recast figures are from e2046 too. Decors... again, no complaints regarding quality.

My clear resin KOG AT V3 though... horrible. :(

I think if you are trying to purchase older kits there is a greater chance that the quality will be bad. But sometimes recasts of newly released kits can be bad too.

zchen

Post by zchen » Thu May 25, 2006 6:30 pm

I really haven't had any truly horrible recasts from either place, although the Machine Mess Auge from HF a couple of years back with paper thin parts was kind of bad. But I think one should realize that any time you order a recast without hands on inspection you are taking a risk. I also echo the thought that recast of older kits are even more risky.

Jester13

Post by Jester13 » Fri May 26, 2006 6:30 am

Hey guys, I see E-bay has a couple of Resin kits up for sale, from a store called Tradezone88. Has anyone bought from there? The international shipping is cheap $7.5 US.

Seems like a bargain

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Fri May 26, 2006 6:58 am

elemental wrote:Yes jinnai, how much does it cost to get HF stuff to aus? They used to charge an arm and a leg.
$34.70 USD for standard airmail via USPS for a 2kg package.

I think that's quite cheap personally. Obviously FSS is lighter, so therefore, cheaper. But not by much.. maybe $20 USD?

Hellequin

Post by Hellequin » Fri May 26, 2006 2:21 pm

I never had a quality problem with anything I ever got from Hobbyfan... but I haven't purchased anything in quite a while. It always used to be e2046 that got listed as the better supplier. I wonder what changed.