Observations On A Visit To Japan

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Observations On A Visit To Japan

Post by Tachyon » Sun May 21, 2006 2:36 pm

My 2 week trip to Japan was a lot of fun. I played guide for my father and 2 brothers. We spent a week in Kyoto looking at historical and cultural sites and then headed to Tokyo to get a taste of modern Japan.

As an anime fan I was interested to see how strong certain series have remained over the years. The manga for Fist of the North Star is being reprinted in several different styles and is easy to find everywhere in Tokyo. The Newtype 100% edition for the Five Star Stories movie never went out of print. It's easy to find regardless what book store you step into.

At Yellow Submarine's/Kaiyodo's main hobby shop in Akihabara many models were on display. A large proportion of them were Five Star Stories. I enjoyed the large diorama of the Final Junchoon's battle with the Knight of Gold 2. Very large scale models of the LED Mirage and Knight of Gold were on display nearby. Some series have so much staying power that we'll never need to fear their disappearance.

The anime craze of girls in maid outfits is getting a little out of control. On street corners all over Tokyo girls in maid outfits are handing out advertisements and inviting people into shops. I doubt any of them know how to serve tea or polish silverware.

I don't know when I'll get back to Japan but this trip gave me a chance to revisit a lot of favorite spots and do some serious Gears Online shopping.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun May 21, 2006 10:51 pm

Sounds like a productive and enjoyable trip.

I wish I have the chance to get back to asia someday, specifically Japan, since I didn't go there (Okinawa was the closest I got) on the Navy's dime.

My problem is that I like Japanese women so much, I might just choose to stay....
Shinei!

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Mon May 22, 2006 1:57 pm

The anime craze of girls in maid outfits is getting a little out of control. On street corners all over Tokyo girls in maid outfits are handing out advertisements and inviting people into shops. I doubt any of them know how to serve tea or polish silverware
Well, the phenomenon even has effect in Thailand here. I found advertisement of Maid Cafe on internet last month...(though it's just part of manga shop) Well, I still think maid outfits is one of most cute outfits (must be the apron).
Justice will never lose!

2000YearsOldMan

Post by 2000YearsOldMan » Wed May 31, 2006 4:13 pm

post some photos of trip man.
original gundam series rule.
my site www.ericguoart.com