Model Information on MH Profile Pages

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Model Information on MH Profile Pages

Post by Tachyon » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:08 pm

I've been wondering for a while how to best communicate to visitors of the FSS pages just how much knowledge can be found for FSS model building here in this forum. Most of the visitors to the FSS pages never visit this message board. Don't you think it's probable that people read a MH profile, glance at the illustrations and then wonder what model kits are available?

Why not offer FSS fans more? My idea is to place information and box images at the bottom of each mortar headd profile page so that people can learn what model kits are available. Info like the model kit's name, its scale, what year it was first put on the market, etc. Also, links would lead them to threads in this forum where the model kit is reviewed by one of you guys (with replies by the rest of you with further comments on the kit).

Who would be willing to put a little time into this sort of thing?

BENEFITS:
1) It would lead more FSS model builders to this forum.
2) It would give you all the chance to network with other FSS fans who might want to buy stuff from you.
3) It would make it easier to feed traffic to KOG's Web site (once he gets it running).

DRAWBACKS
1) I know nothing about modeling so some of you would need to spend the time to write kit reviews and hunt down (or scan) model box images.

I welcome your feedback on this idea.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:30 pm

I can help out with infos on the kits I have once this thing is up and running.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:22 am

Why wait? The Knight of Gold will be the first test of this new idea.

For the Knight of Gold I want people to submit lists of the available model kits. For each model kit (of the Knight of Gold) I want to know the following:
1) year it first came out
2) scale
3) company that made it
4) name of the model kit (we have to identify it somehow!)
5) sculptor/creator (optional)
6) photo of the model kit box (optional)
7) which issues of which hobby magazines feature photos of the model (optional)

Ok, everyone. I'll be waiting to see your lists. Let's post them here in the FSS Modeling forum so that we can discuss until we all agree on a final list. Then I'll post it on the KOG's profile page and we can see if we like the result.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:12 am

Here goes for KOG ver.3. BTW, should we list the price for the kits too?

1. Released in 2002
2. 1/100th Scale(29cm)
3. Produced by Volks
4. Name of the kit: Volks 1/100th Scale "Solid Art Version" Knight of Gold version 3
5. Sculpted by Hiroshi Oishi(Zoukei-Mura)
6. Box-
7. Pictures can be found in July 2002 Hobby Japan
Last edited by Sheizzel on Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:17 am

SSS2002 KOG w/Buster:

1. Released in 2002
2. 1/100th Scale(Heights: 21cm / Buster Launcher: 78cm)
3. Produced by Volks
4. Name of the kit: Volks 1/100th Scale "Super Spirits Series 2002" Knight of Gold with Buster Launcher
5. Sculpted by Hiroshi Oishi(Zoukei-Mura)
6. Box-

elemental

Post by elemental » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:27 am

An interesting idea. But you sure picked a complicated MH to start this process with. There would have to be more KOG kits out there than any other MH except the LED Mirage. :wink:

I'm happy to contribute to this effort as much as my time permits. And this week that isn't much. :(

I know KOG (the board member) has lots of info too, but he is on vacation.

natsukage

Post by natsukage » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:17 am

Great Idea, makes buying decision a bit easier, especially from a FSS noobie like me :o

KOG

Post by KOG » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:20 pm

Hiya elemental! Just got back into town on the evening of the 7th actually.

Umm... I like the idea here. Listing EVERY kit for a MH might be really hard though... since there are just so many (for things like LED, KOG, Junchoon, etc). But we could probably list the main ones...

Once upon a time, Happy had a giant spreadsheet listing all kinds of kits and release dates and things... maybe he still has it.

Box photos may be challenging, except for older kits. I've got a pretty big collection of original kits, I'll photo what I can when time permits.

I should also note that some kits have been sold in MANY different boxes, so that complicates things.

Volks has had 3 distinct styles of boxes for their 1/100 kits over the years. And sometimes kits are sold first in one box, and then later in another type of box. Sometimes the box color itself is different... a kit may first be sold in a grey box, and then you might later see a copy in a red box.

I suppose it'll be simplest if we just stick with one box photo per kit. :P

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:32 pm

The lists on MH profile pages don't need to be complete but I think it would be great to give people an idea of what's out there.

I'm going to take the 2 models submitted and add them to the KOG page and we can talk about how to best format the info.

Does anyone want to write reviews of the 2 KOG kits mentioned above? It's doesn't have to be super-detailed.

tree

Post by tree » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:55 pm

I actually had the same idea not too long ago about putting up a site with all the references of fss kits.
I can help to put up a site with a management system so users can submit the pics or infos of the kits they own or found. I think this can save sometimes for the webmaster to update the pages and it will be easier to keep them organized. let me know if this idea works for you.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:25 pm

Thanks for the offer of help. I may want to get that going with you. I'll need to find some time to sit down and get something started for the models on profiles idea.

I've always wanted to cover modeling on Gears Online but I don't know anything about it. This looks like a good opportunity to get things started.

tree

Post by tree » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:04 pm

i think it'll be better to start another website that's dedicated to the model kits and do a 2 way links with here so people can have more details for the spec. of the mecha.
any suggestions?

sharky

Post by sharky » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:24 pm

tree

Post by tree » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:31 pm

any suggestions for what domain name i should use?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:55 pm

http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/mh/kog/kog.php

Look for "Model Kits" at the bottom of the page. I need to tweak the table header a bit for Firefox but it will serve for now. What does everyone think? It's simple but do you think it will work? For rich, detailed info on modeling I'd like to send people to KOG's Web site (well, when he gets it working - hint hint :wink: ). Only 2 kits are listed but this is just a rough draft. If KOG isn't going to run his site for a while I'll link to some other modeling site if people here agree it's good.

Sheizzel, do you want me to use your reviews "as is" or do you want to rewrite them? For those who review model kits in the future, please include standard prices if you know them and try to answer the questions "Do I like this kit?" and "Would I recommend this kit to someone else?"

Ok! Let's discuss!