recurring problem

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Nightmare of Solomon

recurring problem

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:55 pm

Greetings-

I have been a fan of this site for some time now-

I am having a recurring problem- When visiting the message board- I often select the "view posts since last visit" search parameter so that I can scan the latest and greatest-

after viewing a few posts, some windows related issue kicks me off line / or the site refuses to respond and I am forced to close out my connection and log back on-

When I do this- All the posts on my prior list dissappear as my "last visit" was 2 minutes ago-

the site is very large and scanning every forum to see what's current takes too much time and I miss a lot of good posts for this reason-

Is there any means to limit this search parameter so it will only consider your last visit if it was on a different date?- thus any visits on the same day would get the same results (effectively being the same "visit")

Since my online connections are infrequent and unreliable, I encounter this problem on nearly 1/2 my visits- It is very frustrating.

If this can't be done, could a new search parameter be added that would only list new posts from the last several days (no more than a week) searching by date ?

Thanks in advance for looking into this - you run an awesome site, but this recurring issue is getting on my nerves.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:58 pm

The message board software doesn't currently support that. I looked at the source code for the search tools and identified a good block to modify. I'm hoping the techies on the support message board reply to me soon so I can write a custom fix.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:32 pm

I have some custom code written that I'll load and test tomorrow. I need to get home now and help with the little ones.

Falk

Post by Falk » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:43 am

You think this is the problem ? I'm quite surprised Ôo.

Do you have that problem with Gears only ? Or all phpbb boards ?

I'd expect the search function to be heavy on the hosting server, but not that much on your computer, it's just returning data. :|

Are you using IE or Firefox ? :twisted:

(well I'm no programmer ^^)

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:06 pm

So far this is the site where I have experienced this specific problem-

But I have to say that the simple truth is that I don't visit more than maybe 7 or 8 sites with any regularity-

I can only access the web from work and then, only for short periods-

my personal E-mail and Gears are pretty much top of my very short list ^_^ (yeah gears!)

As for seacrch engine- I'm pretty much stuck with IE- it's what's on my machine at work- and my employer really does'nt encourage a lot of extraneous downloads- no matter how much better the system might work-

Thanks again for checking things out- Im hopefull to get my home PC connected to the net again soon and hopefully not have this type of problem as often-

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:47 pm

I've got 2 options.

1) I write a custom command that you type into the browser's address bar that lets you see all new posts in the past 48 hours.

2) I add a mod that lets you reset the last time you visited the message board and then you click on View All New Posts.

Pick one and I'll try it out.

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:06 pm

I think 2 will work better - it is sometimes longer than 48 hrs between visits- I may have to sift a bit more- but that way I'll actually see what's been added since the last visit- whether it was 2 minutes or 2 weeks ago-

Thanks again for your efforts

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:06 pm

I have modified the message board system. In the upper left of the screen you should see "You last visited on..." Next to that you should now see "Change." Use that "Change" link to alter the record of your last login. Then, click on the link that shows all new posts since your last visit.

Let me know if you run into any problems.