Volks Luminous Mirage **NOW COMPLETE**

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:45 am

It's hard to tell exactly what shade of pink KC has used. His photos have a lot of glare and shadows. But just looking at the contrast between the white and the pink and comparing that with the Smoke Walls art, it seems he has gone with a darker pink. Perhaps he is following Volks colour mixing guide?

Whatever the case, obviously he can paint his kits as he pleases. Perhaps he wanted to do it differently to his FAC Calvary R? The pinks are similar but not identical.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:33 am

w/ all the fancy camera tech. today, that a half decent camera can do 12 MB pixel, why are those Japanese still using these 640 x 480 miniature photos?

It's hard to tell the details nor the color w/ those cheap junk cameras. Why can't they photo w/ 12 MB pixel camera w/ large file? Trying to tell the differences in color in that set of photo is like an eye exam.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:28 am

I would guess KC posts 640x480 pics to help keep his site bandwidth under control. He has a huge collection of finished models, and a good number of pics for each model. He is also one of the better known modellers (if not the best known FSS modeller), so his site would get a lot of hits.

Having said that, I would also like to see him post bigger pics.

I think a 12MP camera would be overkill. When I photograph my models I take 3 megapixel pics and reduce them down to 1200x1600 or 1200x900. I use a friend's 6MP camera.

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:29 pm

All of my pictures are being taken with a 7.2mp camera.

Although I'm still learning how to use the bloody thing.

Expect updates this weekend. Also, I have all of easter off, so I intend to finish the Luminous then.

But for a non image update.. all pink has been painted. I've masked already to paint all the white tonight, then tomorrow I hope to lay that silver coat on. After that, glossing, washing, and detailing.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:50 am

But KC can post on photobucket or imageshack.

Is there an expiry date for hosting photo at photobucket or can you show them forever?
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

when you buy a pet:

Adopt a pet

Vincent Valentine

Post by Vincent Valentine » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:56 pm

Keep us updated Jenny..

I'll try to get back into modelling when my business tax returns are done... but before that, I need to do a few things first.

I'll let you have your victory - for now.

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:45 am

Big big BIIIG updates are coming over the next 12 hours.

I would have painted more, but I've been distracted.

35,980 w/ shipping from Y!J.

No middleman (celga, rinkya, SMJ, etc) markups. Pure yen cost. Final auction price was 29,510, internal shipping at 1200yen, EMS to me at 2,600 + paypal charges.

I got very lucky. :)

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:39 pm

Ok, here we go. It's started. :)

I have all of easter off, and I don't return to work until Wednesday. Let's see if I can get her finished.

I jumped the gun and got the floral detailing done before finishing anything else.

Here's an insight into my masking technique.. I really should change it, but I sorta don't have the patience for cutting small pieces of tape.

Then onto the green details..

And just before the masks are removed..

Next up: head and face.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:45 pm

jinnai wrote: 35,980 w/ shipping from Y!J.

No middleman (celga, rinkya, SMJ, etc) markups. Pure yen cost. Final auction price was 29,510, internal shipping at 1200yen, EMS to me at 2,600 + paypal charges.

But how? Japanese don't deal w/ anyone internationally. So w/o the middlemen, how does that box get to you?

By the way, looking at your masking pic., the masked part that you air brush on, is very closed to the "totally unmasked parts (pink)". Are you concern that some paint particles, for e.g. green, spray out to the unmasked part? Usually for people who don't mask the "somehow immediate proximity", they put a piece of paper slightly tight wrapped around it and sealed it w/ tape.

when you buy a pet:

Adopt a pet

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:09 pm

happy hopping wrote:
jinnai wrote: 35,980 w/ shipping from Y!J.

But how? Japanese don't deal w/ anyone internationally. So w/o the middlemen, how does that box get to you?

By the way, looking at your masking pic., the masked part that you air brush on, is very closed to the "totally unmasked parts (pink)". Are you concern that some paint particles, for e.g. green, spray out to the unmasked part? Usually for people who don't mask the "somehow immediate proximity", they put a piece of paper slightly tight wrapped around it and sealed it w/ tape.
I had a middleman so to speak, but I didn't have to pay a markup. The only markup I had to pay was paypal's 3% charge, which I was more than happy to do.

This is the same guy who was going to get me kits at wholesale.. which I couldn't do due to lack of capital.

Any overspray particles are dealt with a quick rub of windex. There already was some. Plus, lowering the PSI on the compressor and spraying at low pressure helps prevent all overspray. Remove the end cap from the airbrush, and just have the needle sticking out, and you get more accuracy also. Notice that all my spray points don't deviate too much from where I'm painting?

Also, more progress.

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:37 pm

One last pic for the night..

Lighting is not good at 1:30am. The darkness on the flower petals is what's bringing that orange out more. Ask Jack.

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:52 pm

Oh bugger it.. one more final final pic.

I didn't like my original results with using black oil paint to wash the pink. So I made my own wash that I quite enjoy. Tell me what you think.

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:12 am

Preliminary painting complete. Masking touch ups, clear coats, then detailing/washes to follow.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:19 am

Looking great! Can't wait all the parts being assembled together.

elemental

Post by elemental » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:47 am

Black wash on pink does sound a bit ugly. But pink on pink might work better. It's hard to tell from just seeing the head. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished too. :)