Pink and red.. pink and red.

Red needs it's second thin coat. :)

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:24 am

The colors look nice :) .

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:45 am

All red parts painted. :)

And this is what's remaining to be primed.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:33 am

It could be the camera, but the paint seems very "thick". Is it possible you paint too much or the diameter of the airbrush is too big, like 0.4 for instance?
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:59 pm

The paint is far from thick. What you're seeing is a camera flash reflection from a gloss paint.

For example, this does NOT look thick.

Updates in my Photobucket.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:34 am

Very nice. Clean and shiny.

elemental

Post by elemental » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Indeed.

Also, consider the magnification on those parts shots. They are much larger than real life. That will also magnify any minor blemishes in the paint, and seeing as Jinnai said they needed another coat, I would expect that means they weren't (at that time) perfect.

jinnai: I really like that shade of pink. The red on the torso looks good too, but did you ever consider using metallic red?

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:23 am

elemental wrote:Indeed.

Also, consider the magnification on those parts shots. They are much larger than real life. That will also magnify any minor blemishes in the paint, and seeing as Jinnai said they needed another coat, I would expect that means they weren't (at that time) perfect.
Damn right! Actually.. my photography is getting better. :) But I'm buying new lamps tomorrow for my work area. My single lamp isn't illuminating enough.

Once I hit those parts with the gloss coat, and then sealed with satin, it came out super smooth, as you can see.
elemental wrote: jinnai: I really like that shade of pink. The red on the torso looks good too, but did you ever consider using metallic red?
Nah. Not once. I'm saving the metallics for bodies that look like they use metallics. If you see April's HJ with Luminous in there, the red is super smooth and glossy and pure unmixed red. It was too bright for me, so I made a mix from my leftover Phantom red that I liked. Contrasts well with the pink to the natural eye. :)

I think I need to drive to the 'gong sometime.. =p

Ladycus sopp

Post by Ladycus sopp » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:40 am

Very beautiful work jinnai, cheers

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:48 am

"Nah. Not once. I'm saving the metallics for bodies that look like they use metallics."

I agree whole-heartedly. I find that there's been a running trend lately to paint everything metallic and/or pearlescent, and it's driving me apesh*t. While it looks nice on CERTAIN models, some modelers seem to think that MHs are street rods, and finish them as such. I tend to lean towards the "elegant weapon of war" look, with strategic weathering that doesn't necessarily overpower the model's overall spleandor... Just my $0.02
John F. Moscato

elemental

Post by elemental » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:01 am

jinnai wrote:Damn right! Actually.. my photography is getting better. :)
Your torso shot looks very good.

Taking good pics of models is very difficult. That's why I dislike low res pics... all they really show is that someone owns a model kit.
jinnai wrote:Nah. Not once. I'm saving the metallics for bodies that look like they use metallics.
Hmmm... matter of opinion obviously... but for me, the moment I saw Calvary R in Smoke Walls I thought metallic red frame!! I need to paint this kit someday!!
John wrote:I find that there's been a running trend lately to paint everything metallic and/or pearlescent, and it's driving me apesh*t. While it looks nice on CERTAIN models, some modelers seem to think that MHs are street rods, and finish them as such. I tend to lean towards the "elegant weapon of war" look, with strategic weathering that doesn't necessarily overpower the model's overall spleandor... Just my $0.02
To quote vicky pollard, yeah, but no, but yeah. :)

To some extent I agree. Pearly finishes can look nice but there is nothing wrong with good old fashioned standard colour finishes. As for MH being street machines... I know what you mean, but I have noticed that some shades of paint you see everyday on cars would be perfect for certain MHs. There are some really nice lavender silvers out there that, in all their pearly glossy brilliance, would be perfect for Mess Auge.

I've been trying to mix a good deep green with a hint of pearl for WSC A-Toll. It has to be green, it has to be dark green, and it has to be a little bit pearly. So far no luck, but the best greens I have seen - the ones I want to emulate - have been on cars. In fact, when I am driving I am always thinking great green for a-toll, bad green, great glossy red for phantom, i wonder if that blue would work on siren etc. etc... call me crazy... 8)

But pearl white old fashioned (non clear) LED... no thank you.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:47 am

jinnai wrote:The paint is far from thick. What you're seeing is a camera flash reflection from a gloss paint.

For example, this does NOT look thick.
Definitely that photo is better than the others.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

tree

Post by tree » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:35 am

knight club has finished his Luminous Mirage
http://knightclub.cool.ne.jp/fss/luminous/lum1.html

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:46 am

KC has chosen a very vivid shade of pink compared with the far more pastel pink shown in Smoke Walls. Unless it is just a matter of lighting...

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:10 am

I think it is the lighting? The pink for the upper portion looks different than the pink for the lower portion of the Luminous?