Volks Red Phantom *FINISHED*

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:55 am

jinnai wrote:Live update, but the WIP isn't done yet.

Almost there.. I fixed the blades on the feet though. =p
I can't believe you actually let Falk catch that one. :D Those teeth are used in combat to injure the other MH by kicking the opponent. So all MH that has calf blade teeth are facing down.

1) Anyhoo, you picked Volks red version for the much improved hair design. But have you think about doing it in white or black in the first place? Or why did you decide to do red color in the end? And your choice of red is a darker shade of red vs. the other red phantoms (like Knight Club red phantom). How so?

2) I don't have this kit. They c/w 2 shield w/ the sharp edges on both top end. But does the kit also c/w a much bigger shield, curved and V shape at the top? Because I've seen some web site has that big shield.

3) As well, how do you protect yourself from the fume in your painting area?
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

Falk

Post by Falk » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:14 pm

Jinnai>>>Are you gonna paint the two "stripes" on the upper-arm ? I think they're grey on the design (just pointing it out in case you missed it^^)

Also are there advantages/drawbacks in painting all the parts at once Vs a few ones everyday as you do ?
Maybe not as long as you don't run out of a custom paint mix^^
happy hopping wrote:Those teeth are used in combat to injure the other MH by kicking the opponent. So all MH that has calf blade teeth are facing down.
Ha so that's their use ? I didn't knew that. The white Phantom doesn't have them. No idea about the black one.
2) I don't have this kit. They c/w 2 shield w/ the sharp edges on both top end. But does the kit also c/w a much bigger shield, curved and V shape at the top? Because I've seen some web site has that big shield.
You're talking about the black Phantom's shield with a blood cross and stripes on it ? I think it was a add-on kit from chrome-head and that was pretty hard to find out of Korea (there was also special shoulders, with jewels on it, and another arm to make the Phantom hold his sword over his shoulder).
My white Phantom recast has the two regular shields (with horns and grinning face), no big shield. It looks like the red also has those 2 shields in the box despite not being there in the manga (we can see it in the newtype scans).
Also those shields sports a logo with 3 starts, which I guess have nothing to do on the red Phantom.
We can hope to see a black Phantom kit once it appears a bit more in the manga^^.

I've carefully looked at the red and white Phantom, if some are interested, I've found those differences :
-the horns of course^^ (bending sideward on the red, backward on the white)
-the upper-head is different (the white has a long polygonal part down the neck, it's shorter on the red and painted white)
-the hair of course, white has 9, red a lot more (18 ?), though in the manga scans the number changes^^ (11 in a pic, about 15 in another), also they look different on the red, there is no additional part at the tip of each hair
-shoulders tip, cut and painted gold on the white, nothing specilal on the red, but a kensai icon (kensai or something else, I don't know, that sort of wing^^)
-skirt armor, the white has 3 large armor parts, the red has two large (one on each side) and two smaller in the back, the back counterweight is also a bit different (now I don't know if this is specific for the red, or if Nagano changed the design for all Phantom since Smokewalls).
-ankle armor: the red has more little lines on it than the white
-and no "teeth" at the back of the feet for the white

If you find others, let me know^^

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:02 pm

happy hopping wrote:
jinnai wrote:Live update, but the WIP isn't done yet.

Almost there.. I fixed the blades on the feet though. =p
I can't believe you actually let Falk catch that one. :D Those teeth are used in combat to injure the other MH by kicking the opponent. So all MH that has calf blade teeth are facing down.
It's not that I let him catch me.. I honestly always placed them that way. I didn't even pay particular attention to it.
happy hopping wrote: 1) Anyhoo, you picked Volks red version for the much improved hair design. But have you think about doing it in white or black in the first place? Or why did you decide to do red color in the end? And your choice of red is a darker shade of red vs. the other red phantoms (like Knight Club red phantom). How so?
I picked Red Phantom at the time for availability sake. White was out of stock, Red was freshly in stock, I had excess cash. Purchase made. Originally I was going to stick to the neon pink/red that Volks use, but the use of such a bright red would conflict with my almost finished 1/100 Empress Flame, so I decided on a darker red to stop the confliction. It's really not that much darker.. it's much much much brighter in person, but honestly I prefer my colour mix to the Volks.
happy hopping wrote: 2) I don't have this kit. They c/w 2 shield w/ the sharp edges on both top end. But does the kit also c/w a much bigger shield, curved and V shape at the top? Because I've seen some web site has that big shield.
If you've seen that, they're using the White Phantom kit painted as Red. Like Knight Club did.
happy hopping wrote: 3) As well, how do you protect yourself from the fume in your painting area?
I leave the sliding door open. No sh**. Paint fumes are the least of my concerns. Tamiya thankfully doesn't stink.
Falk wrote:Jinnai>>>Are you gonna paint the two "stripes" on the upper-arm ? I think they're grey on the design (just pointing it out in case you missed it^^)

Also are there advantages/drawbacks in painting all the parts at once Vs a few ones everyday as you do ?
Maybe not as long as you don't run out of a custom paint mix^^
Hehehe.. those "stripes" are already done. ^_^ I didn't miss those.. I was originally looking at them wondering if I should do something with them or not.. since it was a glaring issue if I didn't.

As for colours. I didn't want to run out of custom mix, so thankfully I still had a jar of red and neutral grey jumbo lying around. I don't think Tamiya makes these anymore.. at least, I cannot find them in Canberra anymore. Next time I go to sydney I'll look around for them, but I'm fairly certain they're OOP, as I haven't seen a jumbo pot in years. But you can see the size difference here.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:45 pm

Don't worry about that specific part in the back of the feet being placed the wrong way, as you're not the only one. Volks made the same mistake with their Engage SR-1. When I got my first kit(Volks SR-1) I followed the picture shown on the side of the Volks box on placing those blades. I found out later from Knight Flags that it was supposed to be facing up, rather than down.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:49 am

Falk wrote: You're talking about the black Phantom's shield with a blood cross and stripes on it ? I think it was a add-on kit from chrome-head and that was pretty hard to find out of Korea (there was also special shoulders, with jewels on it, and another arm to make the Phantom hold his sword over his shoulder).
that's it. What's chrome head? You have a link?
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

when you buy a pet:

Adopt a pet

Falk

Post by Falk » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:56 pm

Oh yeah I think I was wrong about that :
Falk wrote:It looks like the red also has those 2 shields in the box despite not being there in the manga
Had Knight Club's red Phantom in mind despite it being clearly a white kit painted in red :roll:

Here's a link for Chromehead :
http://chromehead.co.k
But it looks like there's not much FSS stuff.
Soon after the Volks Phantom kit release there was this set available :
http://overhighwill.free.fr/FSS/chromeH ... omKit7.jpg

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:39 pm

thanks for the link. I done a yahoo search and can't find it last night. Nice little add on. I won't mind having one if I own a phantom

when you buy a pet:

Adopt a pet

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:46 am

Almost done.. semi-gloss spray arrives tomorrow. Thank f*cking god. I've been itching to finish already!

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:22 pm

I don't have this kit, so I don't know about the details. So, how come there is those "fine black Line markings" on one horn, but not the other horn?

Also, your camera need more light, it's a bit dark compares to those Japanese web site poses, can't see a sharp image. Get some day light in or a flash light.

when you buy a pet:

Adopt a pet

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:20 pm

happy hopping wrote:I don't have this kit, so I don't know about the details. So, how come there is those "fine black Line markings" on one horn, but not the other horn?
That's because he has yet to fill in the lines on the other horn...

Ladycus sopp

Post by Ladycus sopp » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:02 pm

This finish ?

Falk

Post by Falk » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:20 pm

Nope, there's still a bit of work... The second horn lines (this must be really scary to paint :? ), the wing icon or however it's called (kensai icon ?) and the black lines on the shoulders, the jewel on its forehead...
And don't forget the lower jaw :P

You should try to make an indirect light set-up, with a large white part (cardboard or whatever) just to reflect your spot light in a soft way, cuz' it looks like the red varies quite a lot depending on the light.
With one direct light as frontlight, and one undirect light as back light, then the other way.

Hey, what's that line on the side of her head on the 5th picture ?
There's no such line on my white Phantom recast. I have the sort of trapzoidal-crenels line, but not this other line on each side of her head.
Last edited by Falk on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ladycus sopp

Post by Ladycus sopp » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:03 am

Héhé I board only makes require ^^

Falk

Post by Falk » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:53 am

*Hem... I quoted myself rather than editing... You can erase this one^^*

Ladycus sopp

Post by Ladycus sopp » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:55 am

Ca should not be too serious lol