Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

jinnai

Volks Red Phantom *FINISHED*

Post by jinnai » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:52 am

I will finish my empress soon... promise. =p

Click here for all the juicy details.

I'll be updating as I go along.
Last edited by jinnai on Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

elemental

Post by elemental » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:47 am

Starting a new kit before you finish the last one... hello.... JACK. :wink:

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:14 am

I guess I need a jab or two like this every once a while to get me going :P . So Thanks! :D

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:46 pm

The WIP explains all. =p The empress is honestly burning me out.

It's really sad that I look at what I've done already on the Phantom and know for a fact that it already looks 100 times better than the Empress.

:(

Oh.. and update. =p

elemental

Post by elemental » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:24 am

If you can see a huge improvement in your work between one kit and the next, you must be doing something very very right. You can always go back and "touch up" the Empress later. Beware of having an ever growing list of "almost done" kits, though. :)

Look forward to seeing some finished models.

happy hopping

Off topic comment

Post by happy hopping » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:04 am

jinnai, are you a bit too old to put sticker on a cellular phone? I stop doing that when I was 11.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

jinnai

Re: Off topic comment

Post by jinnai » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:52 pm

elemental wrote:If you can see a huge improvement in your work between one kit and the next, you must be doing something very very right. You can always go back and "touch up" the Empress later. Beware of having an ever growing list of "almost done" kits, though. :)

Look forward to seeing some finished models.
I'm definately doing something right.. last night I did more progress (not up yet) and the feet definately look 100% better than the Empress. Graaaaaah. I may not fix up the Empress though because of the time I spent on her.. she's "OK" but.. just ok.

I did finish two kits over Janurary whilst on annual leave, but they wern't FSS so I didn't post here.. but Owen, if you're interested in a bit of Star Wars scale modelling click here and here.

happy hopping wrote:jinnai, are you a bit too old to put sticker on a cellular phone? I stop doing that when I was 11.
I'm never too old for Astroboy. Sadly that sticker has worn away. :(

Falk

Post by Falk » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:23 pm

Just an unrelated question^^, in the hobyfan topic you say that : "sans the ankle guards"
Is "sans" also used in english ? It's the second time I see it on a messageboard this week.

Edit : Wow, impressive desk Jinnai^^ Some parts of Phantom, Auge, even a Twin Tower everywhere :P
Don't you're afraid to lose some small parts ? :wink:
Also a Calgard waiting for some paintjob (like mine^^)

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:56 am

Falk wrote:Just an unrelated question^^, in the hobyfan topic you say that : "sans the ankle guards"
Is "sans" also used in english ? It's the second time I see it on a messageboard this week.

Edit : Wow, impressive desk Jinnai^^ Some parts of Phantom, Auge, even a Twin Tower everywhere :P
Don't you're afraid to lose some small parts ? :wink:
Also a Calgard waiting for some paintjob (like mine^^)
Sans is also used in english. :)

There's a Prominence in there also. =p Empress is hidden away, Bang Doll is in the box still. Schpeltor and SSS KOG w/ Buster are in the living room. 1/220 Jagd Mirage is under the desk with the rest of the Twin Tower parts.

I get very scared of losing parts.. so far I haven't. I nearly panicked because I thought I lost a part down the sink for the Phantom.. but I found it buried under the shoulder.

And it's time for an update.

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:40 pm

Multiple updates!

Poor Phantom has nothing on Machine Mess Auge.

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:24 am

Multiple updates!

Plus a live update right here!

Falk

Post by Falk » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:53 pm

Nice job^^

But I think the "stairs-like" part, behind the Phantom's feet are upside-down^^ (unless you prefere it that way)

How do you paint the black lines on the armor plates ?
You spray it red, then paint it black with a small brush ?

And how the hell do you proceed for masking ?!
As I have a Phantom waiting in its box, this really looks like the most boring process ever.
Do you put some tape on the part, and then cut it ? (and hope not to cut the part at the same time)
Or do you cut it before placing the tape on it, mesuring everything etc etc ?

Also I would add a bit of variation on the frame color. The pelvis blade maybe, or paint some bypass jacks in a bright metallic grey, as the inner part of a jack is usually chrome (maybe you'll add it later).

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:39 am

Falk wrote:Nice job^^

But I think the "stairs-like" part, behind the Phantom's feet are upside-down^^ (unless you prefere it that way)
.. my god.. you are 100% absolutely right. I honestly never noticed that.. hmmm.. I hope I can fix it without snapping it.
Falk wrote: How do you paint the black lines on the armor plates ?
You spray it red, then paint it black with a small brush ?
I spray it red, then seal it with a gloss coat, then airbrush it gently at 10psi and really thinned. Then I rub off the excess with windex when it's dry.
Falk wrote: And how the hell do you proceed for masking ?!
As I have a Phantom waiting in its box, this really looks like the most boring process ever.
Do you put some tape on the part, and then cut it ? (and hope not to cut the part at the same time)
Or do you cut it before placing the tape on it, mesuring everything etc etc ?
I actually lay my masking tape out on the kit first, then use my fingernail or cocktail stick to press it against the detail. Then I use a really, really sharp xacto and cut it out. It's time consuming.. masking is one of the most annoying parts.
Falk wrote: Also I would add a bit of variation on the frame color. The pelvis blade maybe, or paint some bypass jacks in a bright metallic grey, as the inner part of a jack is usually chrome (maybe you'll add it later).
Mmm.. tempting. I'm generally sticking to the paint scheme that Volks has done at the moment.. I didn't really want to alternate too much.

Thanks. :)

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:26 pm

Live update, but the WIP isn't done yet.

Almost there.. I fixed the blades on the feet though. =p

KOG

Post by KOG » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:55 am

Your speed is making others of us look bad...

Nice work though. :)