What's your favorite new Variable Fighter?

Super Dimensions Fortress Macross and all its spinoffs

Moderator: kosh

Grebo Guru

What's your favorite new Variable Fighter?

Post by Grebo Guru » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:43 am

Just like the subject header says, guys -- What do you think is the best Variable Fighter, OTHER than the classic VF-1 Valkyrie?

I'll get the ball rolling with my favorite: the VF-2SS Valkyrie II from Macross II.

Mave

Post by Mave » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:42 am

So many to choose from! Its like asking me which are my favorite MH:s..

VF2SS is a good choice, its a fine update from the basic formula that is the VF1. Much better than the VF0 IMO.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:34 am

I really like the VF-XX Zentran Valkyrie myself, lookes really awesome

SteamTrooper

Post by SteamTrooper » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:57 pm

VAF-6 - it maybe short but it can sure pack a wallop - check out that missile payload - plus it has the good old GU XX or two if it realy likes - all of which can be fired en-masse. :D

Adam

Kuruni

Mine...

Post by Kuruni » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:26 pm

Mine is VA-3M Invader...This thing save me again and again in Digital Mission VF-X2 game. (Dual hand beam gun is so powerful.) But I like Zentran Valkyrie's look more...
Justice will never lose!

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:37 pm

I really like the Variable Glaug too

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:17 pm

SteamTrooper wrote:VAF-6
Adam... By VAF-6 I assume you mean this?

http://www.kent.net/robotech/mecha/ref/ ... hter.shtml

That, sir, is NOT a Variable Fighter and it is NOT from Macross. What you are talking about is actually an AFC-01 "Legioss" from the anime "Genesis Climber Mospeada." When Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada were combined into the Robotech "trilogy," the Legioss was called the VAF-6 Alpha (for some reason). I strongly recommend you visit these sites:

http://www.artemisgames.com/robotech/Re ... peada.html

http://www.artemisgames.com/robotech/Re ... Cross.html

They explain, in great detail, the true nature of the animes (other than Macross) which were stitched together into the Frankenstein's monster which is Robotech.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:05 pm

No wonder I couldn't find it in the Macross section at MAHQ when I wanted to see which one he was talking about.

Kuruni

Mospeada

Post by Kuruni » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:26 am

Also take a look here. Great source for Mospeada...
Justice will never lose!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:02 pm

My absolute favorite would be the VF-22S. Looks like the bastard child of a Valkyrie and the Quendalen Rau. (which it effectively is)

My second favorite is a tie between the VF-2SS and Zentran Valkyrie of Macross 2. Then the VF-19 and VF-11.
Shinei!

SteamTrooper

Post by SteamTrooper » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:05 pm

Grebo Guru wrote:
SteamTrooper wrote:VAF-6

That, sir, is NOT a Variable Fighter and it is NOT from Macross.
Well cant see why you dont consider this a VF it is able to transform which fills that category nicely. As for the `Not Macross` - ??? Did I misunderstand the forum heading maybe? But I thought it meant any Macross related subject and I do consider Robotech and all its books, comics and kits to fill this criteria.

Links - thanks but I think my actual collection of Robotech (that word again) merchandise adequate research material for my purposes - maybe in future I should post every known name and designation in order to avoid a retort and correction from your good self?

Sorry all others for this rant but my patience is showing some holes.

Adam

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:13 pm

I can see where confusion could arise. Many people associate Macross with Robotech and "variable fighter" seems like a pretty generic term. However, Variable Fighter is a term within the Macross continuum. I was informed of this by online Macross fans just like you have been, SteamTrooper.

As for Robotech being a "Macross related subject" I can say "yes" and "no" both pretty easily. When Carl Macek and Harmony Gold brought Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada to U.S. television they wanted to have a TV show with enough episodes to make syndication. By pressing them together they had enough episodes to make the cut. Once they had all 3 together they thought up an overarching plot to connect them all and make them the same show. It didn't work very well, though. Heck, Southern Cross doesn't even take place on Earth! I think the more forthright option would have been to call the show something like "Robotech Theater" and simply show 3, unconnected TV series.

When I was a youngster there was a show called... Captain Cosmo? This guy with a big, oversized helmet covering most of his face introduced the day's episode. The show featured a number of different, unconnected series from Japanese TV. That's how I first got to see Ultraman. So, in my opinion, variety shows that contain multiple Japanese series can work.

I have met a lot of fans both online and off who really don't like Robotech. I'm guessing they feel on a certain level that Carl Macek pulled the wool over their eyes and tried to get them to believe a lie: that Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada were different chapters of the same story. Or perhaps they're upset that the translated dialogs between characters were altered (that kind of stuff sure gets me unhappy). I can understand this very well but it's difficult for me to dislike Robotech. I remember many afternoons spent in front of the TV feeling hyped up and jittery when the Robotech opening credits came on. The word Robotech in a magazine article's title made me interested enough to read it when I was in junior high and learn that Robotech came from Japan and was part of this thing called "anime". I don't think I would have been an anime fan if it weren't for Robotech.

We all get "some holes" in our patience from time to time. I'm just glad we can work it out and stay on good terms. We're all mecha fans here and we're all adults. That's a good situation to be in.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:25 pm

SteamTrooper wrote:cant see why you dont consider this a VF
Calm down man. Its just not a Variable Fighter, that's all.

"Variable Fighter" is a Macross term, just like "Mobile Suit" is a Gundam term and "Autobot" is a Transformers term.

The Legioss is from Mospeada. It is an Armo-Fighter, not a Variable Fighter.

In Japan, Mospeada was a rival of Macross. It was very explicitly stated as being such. Hence the similarity, but also inferiority.

"Down with Robotech!" I chant...

SteamTrooper

Robotech - sigh! again.

Post by SteamTrooper » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:29 pm

Living in England I was not in a position to have seen the Robotech series until well after having discovered Macross amongst others - this put me in the unique position of having to suffer the fall of the mighty in reverse to some extent (check out my post touching upon this elsewhere on this forum).

I am guessing that your own positions (Americans that is) are the reverse having watched Robotech then moved on to discover the full history of Macross and the Carl Macek/HG story.

This had led to my own bracketing of Macross/MosP/Southern X - series, books, models and comics to fall under the happy happy joy joy heading of `Robotech` (a phrase I would have invented myself if need be) - which I am happy to say hasnt become synonymous with a swear word at least among the non-elitist this side of the great divide.

I hope my generalisation of putting a VAF-6 into this topic has not annoyed any die hards and that the above to some extent explains my lack of discrimination on this matter - I am just to long in the tooth to go changing my use of the `R` word and lets face it its all ancient history now -(makes me laugh to hear kids of 15 talking about it in such a heartfelt manner around my local haunts - must be genetic memory I guess?) let it go ....

p.s I havent played any of the games yet - which is a good one to buy - I have PC/PS2/Game Cube to choose from?

Temjin

Post by Temjin » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:09 am

VF-0 from Macross Zero looks cool. The blue one, VF-0(D) with large wings.

If I can pick any of the plane, YF-19.