Macross Ace Frontier (PSP)

Super Dimensions Fortress Macross and all its spinoffs

Moderator: kosh

Cacophanus

Macross Ace Frontier (PSP)

Post by Cacophanus » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:46 am

This was announced in the latest issue of Famitsu. An exclusive Macross game developed by Artdink for the PSP. Artdink have been around for years (Carnage Heart, yay!) but recently they've been making a name for themselves with the Gundam Battle series on the PSP. If it was any other developer I'd be worried that they wouldn't be able to pull it off, especially on a handheld, as historically even Japanese developers fumble the ball when it comes to designing Macross games. This could be very good indeed though. Anyway here are some nice magazine scans:

http://cacophanus.net/extra_images/macr ... ntier1.jpg

http://cacophanus.net/extra_images/macr ... ntier2.jpg

http://cacophanus.net/extra_images/macr ... ntier3.jpg

Here are some bits from the interview pages:

The team mentions there will be more than 40 vehicles, 30 characters, and currently more than 80 missions in the game (including versus missions). You'll be able to have 4-player battles like in the Gundam Battle series.

The name "Ace Frontier" of course ties into Macross Frontier and was approved by Kawamori.

You'll need to upgrade your valkyrie and also your piloting skills, like in Gundam Battle.

The game uses the Gundam Battle engine, and also a lot of the same staff. The main difference is the transforming mecha. They're trying to be able to make the valkyries move like they do in the original TV opening sequence (VF-1J vs. the regults in the city).

They were asked about Basara in the game. He won't fight and will probably yell "Why are you shooting at me?" if hit during the game, but he will be a music friendly play with speaker pods. Actually details are being kept secret.

They'll announce what songs will appear in the game soon.

The love triangle is your friendship/trust level with other characters, so no romances between Hikaru and Isamu and Alto.

Transformation will be controlled through the analog pad, and should react quickly so you can transform in mid-air (like the other games).

"Will you be able to control the Macross?" - To be answered in the future...

They're aiming to recreate the dog fight scenes.

Finally, the game is 60 percent complete. Release is scheduled for the fall.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:41 am

I read about this the other day, but its nice to get some details. Sounds totally sweet.

I used to have a PSP, but it was stolen out of my car at work. I loved the thing, so I plan to get another one, I just haven't had the extra cash. I'll just have to add this game to my list of wanted games (along with Crisis Core and Dissidia) and even if it doesn't come out in the USA, I'll import it. I've been wanting a good Macross game forever, and they've never released one here (no, Robotech Battlecry doesn't count)
Shinei!