Super Dimensions Fortress Macross and all its spinoffs

Moderator: kosh

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:44 am

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:54 pm

New Macross Frontier information!

From ANN
NTT Resonant's goo Internet portal website has confirmed that the Macross F (Frontier) sequel is planned for a Spring 2008 broadcast. The finalized story will take place in A.D. 2059, five decades after the story of the first Macross television series and less than two decades after the last two sequel stories, Macross Plus and Macross 7. In the story, the Macross Frontier space colonization fleet is hosting a concert of an idol singer from the nearby Macross Galaxy fleet when a mysterious enemy attacks.

The January issue (on sale December 10) of Kadokawa's Newtype magazine will confirm the project's voice cast. Newcomer Megumi Nakajima had previously won a nationwide audition to perform and sing as Ranka Lee, a high school student who works part-time at a Chinese restaurant. Yuuichi Nakamura (Mobile Suit Gundam 00's Graham, Clannad's Tomoya) will play the main male lead, the fighter pilot trainee Alto Saotome. Aya Endo (Lucky Star's Miyuki, Gundam 00's Kinue) will play Sheryl Nome, the current top idol in the Macross universe. Hiroshi Kamiya (Honey and Clover's Yuuta, Gundam 00's Tieria), Jun Fukuyama (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion's Lelouch), and Houko Kuwashima (Gundam Seed's Flay, Inuyasha's Sango) will play the supporting characters of Mikhail Buran, Luca Angeloni, and Nanase Matsuura, respectively.

The official Macross website has confirmed that this month's Macross 25th Anniversary Special program will feature co-creator Shoji Kawamori as a guest and a 27-minute director's cut of the first episode of Macross Frontier. Kawamori will be working with the studio Satelight (Noein, Macross Zero) and composer Yoko Kanno (Macross Plus, Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop) on the new series. The special will also feature the television entertainers Hiroyuki Miyasako, Chihara-Junior, Shinya Arino, and Akane Ōsawa.

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:39 pm

More pictures:

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:35 am

Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:11 pm

First episode of Macross Frontier is out! It's really good, much better than the first episode of Macross Zero. There's so much to discuss about this new episode, I don't know where to begin. The VF-171 is awesome, the VF-25 is even better if that's possible and the CG work is absolutely stunning! The characters are interesting and the story really hooks you in. I'm loving this new direction for Macross and hope that the other episodes live up to this first one. Wow! I can't believe that this show is a TELEVISION series. The animation is insane!

*catches breath*

:)

All the information you will ever need about the first episodes of the new Macross Frontier:

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=24559

Enjoy!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:29 pm

Thanks for keeping us posted. Once the Christmas rush is over I'll have to watch it.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:49 pm

Oh Tach, you and me got so much to talk about after xmas :) I just read through issues 4-6 of FSS and I purchased the DVD and watched it. I've got tons oh questions for ya :) Add the new Macross Frontier show to the mix andf this forums gonna be jumping in a week :)

Cacophanus

Post by Cacophanus » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:57 am

Yeah, Frontier is amazingly good for a TV series and seems a lot more involved narratively than previous outings. I hope they can keep it up.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:35 am

Frontier is awesome! I've been watching it over 10times now i think... lol...

The CG blends into the 2d animation flawlessly, the music is great and the sequences fits in nicely with the music (esp the take-off scene)!

10/10 !!

But what we've seen is just the first episode right? still eager to know what was shown before this tv special.

And why do we have to wait till April next year ? >.< :(
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

Newton

Post by Newton » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:18 pm

Macross Frontier is truly a jam! I'm glad they're carrying the vibe from Macross Plus. That's my favorite interpretation of the Macross milieu, and it's the best one in which to continue the saga.

I can't get enough of watching this first episode. For me, it's the little things - the trash bots, the Macross-shaped high school, the flying club's mecha sport-suits - that really get me. I'm excited to jump back into this setting and see how the world has changed in the years since the Sharon Apple Incident.

Which brings me to the map. Looks like Eden is a major colony, and jumping-off point for the second wave of exploration and expansion. I've got to run the map in slow-motion to get all the new colonies down.

The music for this show is phenomenal. I found myself listening as hard as I was watching the action. And these aliens are RUDE. Have they said who the aliens are yet? I'm totally hyped by the fact that it's apparently the creatures themselves that are the fighters this time. I'm eager to find out more about them.

This is the best first episode of anything I've seen in a long time!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:51 pm

SWEET!

How did I miss this? I'm a big Macross fan (though I've never seen Macross 7) and a new Macross series getting back to the good stuff would be great.

Is it a new enemy? or Zentradi that have returned from the void (the Inspections fleet?)
Shinei!

Cacophanus

Post by Cacophanus » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:31 am

Nu Soard Graphite wrote:SWEET!

How did I miss this? I'm a big Macross fan (though I've never seen Macross 7) and a new Macross series getting back to the good stuff would be great.

Is it a new enemy? or Zentradi that have returned from the void (the Inspections fleet?)
It's a new enemy, as the Frontier fleet is approaching the galactic center (where the Megaroad disappeared, so it could the same foe that knocked them out). I'm hoping that these new aliens are Protoculture remnants as that would make a nice narrative cadence to the series.

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:37 pm

Happy new year all!

I should post my first reactions to the new Macross Frontier show. I've watched it several times now and it's still creating a really good vibe. That's always a good sign. Sometimes when one is so excited about a new anime, it's easy to forgive the faults and form a 5-seconds-after-watching reaction screaming "I love this show!" like you just fell in love :) But I'm really happy with this new series so far (damn, if THIS level of animation can be called a television series) and really eager to see where it goes.

I admit, I was quite skeptical about the bio-mechanoid alien enemy in Macross Frontier, but after seeing the first episode, I can't say I have too many reservations. The design of the big red enemy mecha is great and quite menacing. It also merges beautifully into a show like Macross, whereas prior to this episode I was concerned about the jarring effect of space monsters in my beloved Macross franchise (the last time it was attempted, it didn't go well for the franchise). I like the big energy cannon on the red mech and it's awkward way of walking. Quite cool.

The characters are interesting, if a little prototypical at first. Alto reminds me a lot of Hikaru; sure of himself, a good pilot and more than a little angry. Allusions to Roy Focker when considering the character of Ozuma are only natural, but just so, I'm not sensing much of a similar characterization as yet. Perhaps time will bring it out more or less. I really like the way Sheryl Nome is played so far; quite confident, somewhat arrogant and very together/professional. It's great to see a super star that acts like one for a change. We have enough bratty Britney's in real life and don't need more in Macross. Ranka, well, she's more fan service for the creepy loli crowd of anime. Not much to say, although she certainly seems pleasant enough and it's easy to get taken away by sweet, happy and cute characters. I'll give her this; Ranka is not nearly as annoying as Minmay or Mylene. She's much more likable, like Mao.

Considering the mecha of Macross, they are back...and with a vengeance! The designs are fantastic, the action is swift without being overbearing like Macross Zero and the CG work merges far better with the 2D drawn animation than I could have ever hoped.

The armored VF-25 is brilliant and the transformation of the new Valkyrie is perfectly smooth. It may be one of my favorite transformation systems ever. The VF-171 (great designation) is just awesome. My only complaint, as others have mentioned prior, is a lament for the obvious "cannon fodder" role the VF-171 must play. I just pray that this new fighter will be given some time to shine, like the VF-1 in the original series. That Radome equipped VF-171 just flat out rocks! :)

On the topic of CG work, I have to say there is a much improved competence and confidence in the visuals, something that was only acheived with Macross Zero in the last episode of the series. The scene compositions and the look of the CG work is amazing. There's more sense of weight and newtonian motion in both the aircraft/mecha and the large space ships. Some effects come across as generic, like the bland new space fold portal, but others like lighting and gun effects are almost retro in their style and visual appeal. The gun rounds flying toward their targets are simply amazing and very SDF Macross :)

I can't wait to see more.

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:04 pm

More scans of the new mecha from Macross Frontier! Some new GERWALK and Battroid pictures of the VF-25 plus the Armored VF-25 Battroid and a really good quality picture of the VF-25 Super in fighter mode.

http://www.un-spacy-qmtdb.com/Macross%2 ... -feb-1.jpg

http://www.un-spacy-qmtdb.com/Macross%2 ... -feb-2.jpg

http://www.un-spacy-qmtdb.com/Macross%2 ... -feb-3.jpg

Enjoy!

TSP

Post by TSP » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:17 pm

Thanks for posting the links and scans.