Macross Is Good

Super Dimensions Fortress Macross and all its spinoffs

Moderator: kosh

Altron

Macross Is Good

Post by Altron » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:11 am

Heya, I like the Robotech Macross Saga goin on....

I have like all of the episodes on CD, and am watching them on my media player! The one thing I can't get over is how Rick could like someone like Minmei,,,,,

Shes a bubblegum girly head! (lol, wtf??)

~Altron

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:25 am

The first Macross TV series may be my favorite TV show ever. I watched it religiously when I was a youngster on American TV (under its Robotech incarnation) and learned all about the straight version later.

Its treatment of mecha and the military is one of the most plausible and interesting I've ever seen.

When I first started this site I thought of scanning all kinds of Macross stuff but other sites already have that covered.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:27 pm

Macross TV series:
Fasntastic. One of the best mecha anime ever. And among the realest robots of the Real Robot category. Pretty much cemented the category, really.

Macross movie:
Also fantastic. One of the best anime movies ever. Holds up to the test of time really well too.

Flashback 2012:
Pretty, fluffy, but enjoyable. Rather tantalizing.

Macross II: Lovers Again:
Not very good, but it had an excellent premise (which it quickly fumbled). Did have the best new Variable Fighter yet (the Valkyrie II), and a few other choice elements.

Macross 2036:
This video game is in the Macross II continuity and offered up a lot of really really cool new Zentran and Meltran mecha.

Macross Plus:
Pretty damn great, but for a few minor gripes that I have. The Movie Edition is a different experience, but still quite tasty.

Macross 7:
Ugh. Painful to endure. Annoying characters, dumb plot, just yuck. It did give us the cool VF-17 Nightmare though.

VF-X and VF-X 2 and Macross M3:
These video games have the kind of plots I would have liked to have seen done as animation. Also gave us some spiffy new VFs, which is always welcome!

Macross Zero:
Oh joy. Another prequel which clashes horribly with continuity, messing up what comes after it. Also annoying is the clash of Cel and CG, the fact that the VF-0 looks more advanced than the VF-1, and the fact that you can't recognize Roy Fokker. Boooooo!

But still. I do like Macross a lot. Robotech? Thats another story. (An UGLY one.)

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:48 pm

Hahaha Luckily I watched Macross way before Robotech. In fact, I've watched Southern Cross and Mospeada before Robotech too. Gotta say I really like Macross and Mospeada ALOOOT! :wink:

I'm looking for the following:
Mospeada OVA: Love Live Alive
Southern Cross (although i dont really like it, i'd like to re-watch it)
Macross 7

Anyone knows where i can download them (am I allowed to ask for downloads? sorry if I am violating a rule :p)

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:47 pm

Love Live Alive is just a collection of music videos, just so you know...

And Macross 7? Well, be prepared for painnnnnn.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:09 am

Grebo Guru wrote:Love Live Alive is just a collection of music videos, just so you know...

And Macross 7? Well, be prepared for painnnnnn.

hahha, u dont like M7 alot huh? :p

as for Love Live Alive, I've never seen it and being a Mospeada fan, i really want to see it BAD~~! :cry: I heard that the OVA wraps up the series much better. Is there anyway I can get it off the net? BT or p2p downloading?

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:38 pm

About Macross 7:

I hear from rather reliable sources that Macross 7 gets better about halfway through the series. If you can stomach the 15 or so episodes that is.

Personally, I haven't seen it. But I would be willing to give it a shot if I had the chance. I do so love Macross...
Shinei!

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:43 pm

I have watched the entire series, and I can tell you quite honestly that there are really only about three good episodes. One is among the first five, the second is the mid-season episode (around #25) and the other is the second-to-last.

Believe me when I tell you, the show is crummy. It does have its moments and SOME charm, yes, but by and large it is pretty stinky. The show has a lot of promise in the beginning, then by episode 8 or so its starts to become monotonous. At about #15 it starts to show promise again, but quickly starts sliding back downhill. Then there's that one good episode at about #25, then nothing but drudgery and outrage and lameness until the second to last episode. And then, thankfully, it ends.

Believe me, I am no Macross hater. I loved the original show, the movie, Plus, and even have some fondness for Macross II. But Macross 7 was truly the bottom of the super-dimensional barrel.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:43 pm

yuppie ~~!
:D

I just watched my first 20 episodes of Macross 7, and IMO M7 is not as bad as you said :wink:

In fact I actually quite enjoyed it. I agree with you that its abit slow on the plot in the middle, but its bearable.

There are many other series that can get me feeling sleepy when I watch them back to back, but surprisingly M7 didnt get me feeling sleepy. Instead, I cant wait to complete my download of the other episodes. :)

Still looking for Southern Cross and Mospeada Love Live Alive (I want this one bad =\ ).

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:00 pm

Im glad youre enjoying it. But I do wonder if your opinion will change once you've watched the rest of it...

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:03 pm

finally finished watching M7, Encore and Dynamite. I must say i quite like M7 and Encore, dont really like Dynamite :p

kinda agree that we only get some progress in the story in the middle and the last parts but luckily i can sit thru all of them and quite enjoy it :D except for Dynamite >__<

There's another sequel titled "trash" huh? hunting for it now :wink:

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:20 pm

Macross 7 Trash is a manga only. (By Mikimoto.)

So you liked M7 huh? Well, I guess there's no accounting for taste... javascript:emoticon(':?')

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:57 pm

Whats Macross 7 PLUS? just some sort of "music video" or actually some footage? :confused: :|

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:10 pm

I was recently able to see Do You Remember Love? uncut with subs, and I can definately say it is one of the Best Anime films ever made. Always been a big Macross fan, its a pity it's never seen the success that Gundam has, I think it was definately on par with the best of Gundam.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:37 pm

You are absolutely right, DYRL is indeed one of the best anime movies ever made. Definitely in the top three (me and my coworkers at Animerica had a debate about this, and it came down to DYRL, Akira, and a Miyazaki movie -- we couldnt agree on any single one).

As for Macross' success, it is definitely the #2 biggest mecha anime franchise after Gundam -- and he'll, its much more popular in America (especially given its Robotech incarnation) than Gundam is. Gundam is dying on the vine in America.

I just wish so much of the recent Macross stuff wasn't so... hard to swallow. Macross 7 and Macross Zero both leave a bad taste in my mouth.

But! Anyway, yes, you are correct sir. Even today, DYRL stands up as one of the finest anime movies ever made. Whoohoooo!!!