Gotta Getta Gaia Gear

Mobile Suit Gundam and all its spinoffs

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gotta Getta Gaia Gear

Post by Tachyon » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:06 pm

Newton Ewell has sent me a batch of images from a Newtype Magazine contest connected with Gundam Gaia Gear from 1987. He has more Gaia Gear images so it's time to start a Gaia Gear section here at Gears Online.

Can anyone volunteer to translate Japanese text? If so, we'll have better information for our Gaia Gear section.

In Other News: I got back to work on cleaning up the Tyrant Sword GM II line art images today. Hopefully I'll have something to post soon.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:57 pm

Helping with the new baby is slowing me down but I've cleaned up 7 out of 15 contest images. I should have them ready for Web resizing in a few days.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:44 pm

Falk

Post by Falk » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:09 pm

Mmh some good mechs there.
I like the 3 the most. Thin, feminin and futuristic... Or maybe the contratry :P
But I like it, biomechanical stuff is great (btw, the manga Blame, a masterpiece of cyberpunk, may soon be published in english)

And 14 seems to be inspired by Nausicaa's worm no ?

Mmh, just searching the nest for a few informations about gaia gear and find that :
Gaia Gear is a novel set and radio drama set in the future of UC in the Gundam universe. One of Tomino's early visions of the future of UC, now invalidated by later work and rapidly being pushed far into the background.
(http://www.bad-words.com/images/gaiagear.html)

Damn, not to bash Gundam Seed (as I've not seen it and don't know if it's what was chosen in place of gaia gear), but those mecha have way more personnality than seed's. Maybe just a little bit fat.

Thanks for the pictures ^^

Newton

Post by Newton » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:56 pm

More to come, gang.

I have to get some work out the door right now, but I'm jumping back on Gaia Gear as soon as I'm done. I'm really glad you like the little bit I've dug up.

Ja ne,

-Newt

2000YearsOldMan

Post by 2000YearsOldMan » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:27 pm

wahhh, very awesome cool mache pictures, but the enemy robot's look very different and I wonder who is the designer?
Thanks alot for sharing the pictures. :P
original gundam series rule.
my site www.ericguoart.com

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:00 pm

I have no Gaia Gear materials so I have no way to look up information. I'm going to need help when it comes time to write the introductory text for the Gaia Gear section.

Redcomet0093

Post by Redcomet0093 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:07 pm

Tachyon wrote:I have no Gaia Gear materials so I have no way to look up information. I'm going to need help when it comes time to write the introductory text for the Gaia Gear section.
You can go to http://www.mahq.net they have a Gaia Gear section there so you can get an idea of the to sides fighting and see the mecha specs for the units.

Newton

Post by Newton » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:29 pm

All mecha except the Early Zorin Soul were designed by Mamoru Ito. I haven't found the romajii name of the first designer - gotta look back in the magazines. I'll send all of what I find in a Word document called GG Notes.

As you can see, the Early Zorin Soul design was based on the Jagdt Doga design from "Char's Counterattack". I will research to see if they share the same designer.

More to come soon.

Breda

Post by Breda » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:25 am

WOW NEWTON Awesome art there. I loved Ito's work on GG and I have seen none of that stuff before. Ito's stuff looks like he took some serious Industrial Design classes. I wonder what he is doing now; probably doing CG designwork in something non-anime.

I like the contest entries, good variety. #2 is my favorite; it reminds me of a Kazuhisa Kondo redesign of the Bylant from Z Gundam, even though I have never seen his version of that suit.

I also noticed on the Dochodi suit, there is a winged unicorn symbol on the shoulder. Hmm..

Can't wait to see what else you got coming! THANKS!

2000YearsOldMan

Post by 2000YearsOldMan » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:37 pm

thanks evryone I got it.
original gundam series rule.
my site www.ericguoart.com

Newton

Post by Newton » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:09 pm

I have sent a new batch of images to you, Tachyon. I've still got to check on the first GG mech designer's name - as I said earlier, I'll provide it in the notes.

More stuff to come!

-Newt

Newton

Post by Newton » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:16 pm

Breda-

I share your opinion regarding Ito's design work. It's obvious he's got industrial design experience. His work gives me the same cool, sublime feeling as Ikuto Yamashita's. That said, Ito's drawing style is more solid, and has overtones of Chris Foss's mecha design. (Tachyon - I've been thinking that it might be cool to do a section devoted to seminal mecha designers like Chris Foss, Syd Mead and Luigi Colani. What do you think?)

I can't get enough of either Yamashita's or Ito's work. I wanna draw like them when I grow up! :D

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:24 pm

it might be cool to do a section devoted to seminal mecha designers like Chris Foss, Syd Mead and Luigi Colani.
That sounds like it would be very informative for site visitors. Do you know anyone who could supply me with information on these designers?