Where did all the Gundam go?

Mobile Suit Gundam and all its spinoffs

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Where did all the Gundam go?

Post by Tachyon » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:50 pm

I was amazed to find all the Gundam 0080 and 0083 DVD's at CD Universe for a total of $60. Just $10 per DVD. Does that mean they aren't selling well?

I've been reading the translated manga Gundam 0079 by Kazuhisa Kondo. Why can't I find volume 10 or higher? Did Viz stop the translation?

Are our Gundam options in North America going to dry up before long?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

hitori

Post by hitori » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:22 pm

Well, the "mainstream" these days is the likes of Gundam Wing and Gundam SEED...
Though 0080 and 0083 are great works, they may not appeal to the generation seeking bishonen/shoujo characters, catchy theme songs (sung by idoru singers no less) and spectacular battle scenes.

You can't do THIS with Misha or Gatou... lol

Since the new market's demanding these things, I guess the distributors have no reason to market the 'old' works...sigh

fulcy

Post by fulcy » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:20 pm

We're lucky we got the Zeta and F-91 DVD's... Damn teen angst crap! :x

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:42 am

hitori wrote:Well, the "mainstream" these days is the likes of Gundam Wing and Gundam SEED...
Though 0080 and 0083 are great works, they may not appeal to the generation seeking bishonen/shoujo characters, catchy theme songs (sung by idoru singers no less) and spectacular battle scenes.

You can't do THIS with Misha or Gatou... lol

Since the new market's demanding these things, I guess the distributors have no reason to market the 'old' works...sigh

This is why I have a problem with the fandom. We "old timers" get screwed out of some good classic stuff just because it doesn't fit neatly into their vision of what anime is.

"How can you watch that crap? its so sickeningly 80s" or " That looks aweful, how can you like that garbage? you should check out some real anime"

This is the BS I gotta put up with from alot of supposed fans all the time. Most of the time they never even saw what they put down, they just look at the box. "that looks like really bad animation" or " WHOA, its from 1985 (or 75, take your pick), it must really suck then". Yet they go on and on about some show from about a year or so ago and act like Anime never excisted until that show came out.

And the worst thing is, there is nothing that can be done to change their minds about it. There is nothing you can say that will intrigue them about a show or film from the old days, its like they have been programed to reject anything before a certain time period.

I'm surprised Lupin III did so well, considering its age, I wanna know how they marketed it before it aired, they must have used subliminal Advertising or something, cause if Gundam 0079 couldn't get over with this crowd I can't see how another good old show like Lupin III could have.
Dr. Mystico: I'll build a private army of super-apes and take over Cleveland!
Cosgrove: Don't you mean the world?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

RX-104FF

Post by RX-104FF » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:47 am

I suppose you could base this on the same thing that has troubled the video game industry, people buys it if it looks pretty. In video games, alot people buys for the graphics and not the gameplay, and some watches anime depending the animation and not story. If you take a old game that you know is great and show it to some brat nowadays and they would likely say "what a ugly piece of crap, so and so gots much better graphics then that!", and it works similar in anime. Looks and no content you could say.

Gundam is a particular case where this idealism of "looks count most" has been applied by the mindless masses of kiddies. Now saying this, I do like Gundam Seed pretty well, but it doesn't hold a candle to any of the UC shows, novels, manga, and etc. And the reasons I do like about it has nothing to do with the animation. The one who despises UC because of the old animation and like the AUs because their nicer looking doesn't take into account that if it wasn't for that outdated animation UC shows, they wouldn't be no wing or seed, because Gundam as a whole would not have existed. But I suppose they don't think that much ahead. :x

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:35 am

Exactly.

There is no respect for the past at all. I've seen lists for top 25 anime series of all time and all of them listed are less than 10 years old, some of the list only consist of what was on Cartoon network; How sad is that?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:49 am

Daishikaze wrote:Exactly.

There is no respect for the past at all. I've seen lists for top 25 anime series of all time and all of them listed are less than 10 years old, some of the list only consist of what was on Cartoon network; How sad is that?
Holy...how can they dare to use the term "of all time" if they don't include classic like Tetsuwan Atom (Astro Boy)?
Justice will never lose!

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:58 pm

Because they think Anime began with Cartoon network thats how. About 90% of the current fandom only knows about anime because of CN, and they tend to only look at the latest craze while ignoring the classic and the fact that anime has been around longer than they have. alot of us grew up with the classics, we remember when the first subtitle anime tapes were released by companies like animeigo, CPM, and U.S. Renditions. We know who Go Nagai is, and why his work was so special.

We tend not to focus on flash and Fluff, so we can appreciate anime from the 60s, 70s, and 80s for what they are, instead of reviling them for not having any CGI and flashy effects.

I'm greatful for CN's influence in bring anime to a wider audience, but I'm sorrowful for all the youngsters who can't get past age and looks to really appreciate anime from all eras, who can only bitch and moan that something is too old.

camui507

Post by camui507 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:06 am

wow, im kind of amazed to read all this seeing how im probably the type of person you described has likes new stuff thats flashy and was only introduced to anime on CN (which is true for me) Anyway, Id like to say im a big fan of Wing and an average fan of G (I hate seed with a passion, i dont think anything Gundam should be CG, cause that defeats the purpose of Gundam) But about the only thing I do like thats UC would have to be 8th MS team (awsome story line and the Gundams were great) but I always see people raving on about the classics. Were they really that good compared to what we "newcomers" are accustomed to? Iv read far too many UC titles to even begin to try and pick a series to watch. and thought I would have to watch them in cronilogical order (From what I can tell its all on the same story line or time line so I guess it would make a difference if i saw them out of order) Althought I did watch maybe 20 episodes of Original Gundam and I have to say it was pretty boring (not so much for the fight scenes but too much damn talking) well, these are just my opinions.

Edit: I agree with that top 25 anime thingy, its BS some of those animes dont deserve to be on that list.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:07 pm

camui507 wrote: But about the only thing I do like thats UC would have to be 8th MS team (awsome story line and the Gundams were great) but I always see people raving on about the classics. Were they really that good compared to what we "newcomers" are accustomed to?

Yes, they were really that good.

Its also important to note that Anime seems to be going through the same "growing pains" as the hollywood movie industry. Back in the 60's 70's and 80's, there was a lot of experimentation on various filming techniques, especially in the sci/fi genre in respects to Special FX. There were a lot of movies made back then that are considered classics by us old folks, but when I talk about them to the younger generations, they just don't get it. All they see is mediocre acting and bad SFX. However, the main point is that these movies had a lot of imagination going into them. Their concepts were new and unique and had tons of influence on movies and TV shows that came after them.

This is the same with many anime classics.

Even though the animation is dated, in their day they were considered top notch. These old shows have tons of influence on the state of anime today..without many of these old shows, we wouldn't have the new ones. The creators of these new shows current anime fans love, grew up with the shows us old-timers loved. Thats why its always good to go back to the classics and get an idea of how your favorite medium evolved to where it is today...

If you've tried to watch a show and didn't like it, thats fine. Not everyone liked Gundam when it originally aired. What us old-timers want is for the new fans to at least give these old shows a chance. Discover their roots, so to speak.

In anycase, if you haven't seen it, I recommend Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory. Its animation is pretty enough to fly by todays standards (barely) and its story is told in the traditional Gundam style...and there's an assload of Mecha action to boot! You can't go wrong with mechanical stylings by Kawamori and Katoki. Its plot does draw off story elements from the original Gundam 0079 and Zeta Gundam, but its not necessary to be familiar with them to enjoy it.
Shinei!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:10 pm

By the way camui....

<-----------------------------------------------------THAT'S MY ICON!
Shinei!

Newton

Post by Newton » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:17 am

Were they really that good?

Frankly, they were much much better.

Unfortunately, what's been passing for Gundam in recent years has been warmed-over rehashes of Universal Century plotlines (the exception being G Gundam). There aren't any new ideas being thrown around; just thin excuses for more Gundam model marketing. Adding insult to injury, the "new" mecha designs themselves are warmed-over Universal Century pastiches.

I could bore you with a list of parallels between Universal Century stories and Alternate Universe plots, but I'd rather not. I'll just put it this way: If there's an AU series you like, the original story is in the UC timeline. Done better. Don't take my word for it -- go see for yourself.

-Newt

camui507

Post by camui507 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:35 pm

Nu Soard Graphite wrote:By the way camui....

<-----------------------------------------------------THAT'S MY ICON!

sorry...

MINES IS THINNER! (j/k)

I do believe these new AU stories take from the UC plot lines, I heard Seed was a pretty big rip off from one of the UC stories, not sure which one but from the little UC I have watched Seed does seem to borrow its points.

:|

kosh

Post by kosh » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:36 pm

I watched Gundam SEED about halfway through , that's all I could watch , and GS is basically a retelling of the original MSG with elements of 08th MS Team , 0080:War in the Pocket and 0083:Stardust Memory thrown in . Sort of an amalgim of the one year war in a new timeline . From what I read about Gundam SEED Destiny it strikes me as a retelling of Zeta Gundam with ZZ Gundam and elements of Gundam Sentinel thrown in for completeness .
Do you understand?

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:37 pm

IMO, the best thing from SEED is...ASTRAY mangas! :D
Justice will never lose!