Z Gundam - Mobile Suit Entry Policies

Mobile Suit Gundam and all its spinoffs

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Z Gundam - Mobile Suit Entry Policies

Post by Tachyon » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:12 pm

I have now seen episodes 1 thru 22 of Z Gundam. There's no question in my mind that Z Gundam is an excellent show but there's one thing about it that bugs me: mobile suit cockpit access. I don't know how jet fighters are handled in real-world militaries but it seems ridiculous to me how often in Z Gundam unauthorized personnel hop into mobile suit cockpits. It just happens again and again and no one tries to clamp down on it. Katz steals the Gundam Mk. II, Fa steals a Rick Dias, etc.

Even though the AEUG is a small, unofficial military group, it would still have the sense to restrict access to something as expensive and dangerous as an armed mobile suit. It seems like they would set up key locks or combination locks at the cockpit of every mobile suit so that only the assigned pilot and trusted flight deck personnel would be able to open the cockpit hatch.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:55 pm

Ever seen Gundam ZZ? It begins with Judo stealing the Zeta Gundam... so that he can SELL IT to pay for taking care of his little sister!

Of course, if MSs did have locks, we wouldn't have that fabulous rumble-in-the-cockpit between Usso and Chronicle at the beginning of V-Gundam...

Glad you're loving the show, Tach!

Zoxesyr

Post by Zoxesyr » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:21 am

Grebo Guru wrote:Of course, if MSs did have locks...
Have you ever put this question to Mark Simmons? I'd love to hear his answer.

...At least in SEED there was the possibility that the hero used his mental powers to hack the system when he rewrote the OS. Amuro just read a book, Judo and Uso didn't even do that.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:01 pm

Zoxesyr wrote:
Grebo Guru wrote:Of course, if MSs did have locks...
Have you ever put this question to Mark Simmons? I'd love to hear his answer.

...At least in SEED there was the possibility that the hero used his mental powers to hack the system when he rewrote the OS. Amuro just read a book, Judo and Uso didn't even do that.
Hmmm. Yeah, maybe I will ask Mark. Although I doubt there's any sharp answer.

Keep in mind, though, that Judo and his pals were experienced pilots Junior Mobile Suits (or were they Petite Mobile Suits? Well, a mini-MS of some kind anyway) and Usso actually did read the Shockew's pilot manual... Its just that the manual was electronic and could be read in the cockpit, rather than being on paper.

Quiddity

Re: Z Gundam - Mobile Suit Entry Policies

Post by Quiddity » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:47 am

Tachyon wrote:I have now seen episodes 1 thru 22 of Z Gundam. There's no question in my mind that Z Gundam is an excellent show but there's one thing about it that bugs me: mobile suit cockpit access. I don't know how jet fighters are handled in real-world militaries but it seems ridiculous to me how often in Z Gundam unauthorized personnel hop into mobile suit cockpits. It just happens again and again and no one tries to clamp down on it. Katz steals the Gundam Mk. II, Fa steals a Rick Dias, etc.

Even though the AEUG is a small, unofficial military group, it would still have the sense to restrict access to something as expensive and dangerous as an armed mobile suit. It seems like they would set up key locks or combination locks at the cockpit of every mobile suit so that only the assigned pilot and trusted flight deck personnel would be able to open the cockpit hatch.
And you've only seen up to episode 22? Hate to break it to you, but the insanity continues. Particulary bad in episode 24, but I won't go into detail on it so I won't spoil things. Thats one big flaw with the show, time and time again Katz and Fa steal Mobile Suits and they never get punished for it. That's why I like Emma so much, she's the exact opposite of those 2 :)

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:14 am

Well Emma is a trained soldier, she knows that she can't just take off without thinking it through first. Fa and Katz are just regular civilians really, they let their hearts rule their heads for the most part so the go and do things without thinking of the consequences, they lack discipline really
Dr. Mystico: I'll build a private army of super-apes and take over Cleveland!
Cosgrove: Don't you mean the world?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Sign of Haro

Post by Sign of Haro » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:47 pm

Daishikaze wrote:they lack discipline really
And that's what Bright was there for. :twisted:

Although I found the lax entry security to be quite wierd, I wasn't really bothered by it until ZZ Gundam... like when the gang left the MK-II in the middle of a DESERT. Anyone could just waltz in there and take it...