God Gundam... What the...!?

Mobile Suit Gundam and all its spinoffs

Moderator: kosh

Falk

God Gundam... What the...!?

Post by Falk » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:57 am

So, not that I'm interested in this serie (not at all in fact :P ), just that I wonder what... "happened". :twisted:

I need to know :p

Where they on crack ? Any other illegal stuff ?

What's with this fish-gundam ?! This mill-gundam ?!?!
Was it a sort of try to make concurence to the transformers ? A more childish serie of the Gundam universe ?
And all those ethnic gundams, inspiration in history and traditions may be great, but not this way... :wink:

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:41 pm

G Gundam was a homage to the classic style of Giant Robot anime of the 70's. From the character designs to the style of the action, its basically a tribute to Go Nagai.
Shinei!

kosh

Post by kosh » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:36 pm

That's exactly what made G Gundam so good , it didn't take itself seriously . Instaed of trying to be a Gundam series and be all serious and thought provoking , G Gundam said "Lets have some fun , fight that opponent of the week and have a big royal rumble at the end against the main bad guy of the series . " Go Nagai would have been proud .
Do you understand?

ShinDVDz

Post by ShinDVDz » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:54 pm

I think they should've had a communist gundam or soemthing, deal same amount of damage to everyone, ya know? ;)

FSS is totally emo

Post by FSS is totally emo » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:48 am

ShinDVDz wrote:I think they should've had a communist gundam or soemthing, deal same amount of damage to everyone, ya know? ;)
haha, good idea, the russian gundam's name should have been called
"The People's Gundam" and it uses a giant hammer and sickle to promote the good of the state.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:52 am

Ok first of all, I'm not trying to bash or put down this series.

Basically, three reasons why I dislike the series:

1. I think G-Gundam was the first alternate universe gundam series, and for me, being a UC fan, I wasnt quite ready for the 'shock'. UC Gundam series are more or less on the 'serious' tone like what kosh said, and its mecha design and combat seemed more 'realistic' to me. G Gundam's mecha are more on the 'Super Robots' genre, focusing on 'hand-to-hand' combat (kungfu style) and 'special finishing moves' such as conjuring energy balls - much like Dragonball characters in mecha form. Totally different from what I expect from a 'typical' Gundam show. This is of coz, my own fault for 'expecting' something which it is not, but it certainly didnt help on first impressions.

2. Many mecha designs are butt-ugly, so much so that some of these designs - I dunno whether I should laugh or feel insulted. Fish-gundam, Mermaid gundam, crab gundam, windmill gundam, skull gundam, boatman gundam - I'm sure you'll find them 'interesting' :roll: . Makes one seriously wonder if they spend any time in such designs at all, or was it a brain-storm session where any design goes? Comparing to supposedly 'much older' designs in Zeta, ZZ, CCA, F91, and its immediate predecessor - V Gundam; tell me if anyone dont feel the design quality had dropped a GREAT deal? :x

3. The main char, Domon Kasshu, ALWAYS wins. Period. You will know that the combat ends when he uses the special move 'shining' or 'god' finger. Only exception is when his kungfu teacher, Master Asia, uses a similar move, and the fight will be even. Way too predictable. I prefer a story where the opponents at least have some sort of a chance of winning. :roll:

To be fair, the storyline was quite interesting with some plot twists and a surprise ending. :)

BTW, to answer your question on what 'happened', I quote from MAHQ:

"Bandai celebrated Gundam's 15th anniversary by trying something new: free the franchise from the continuity of the the Universal Century (and sell more model kits). "

I wonder if it is considered a successful series? I'd rather have a full series of F91....
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

FSS is totally emo

Post by FSS is totally emo » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:56 am

Rubel Colus wrote:Ok first of all, I'm not trying to bash or put down this series.

Basically, three reasons why I dislike the series:

1. I think G-Gundam was the first alternate universe gundam series, and for me, being a UC fan, I wasnt quite ready for the 'shock'. UC Gundam series are more or less on the 'serious' tone like what kosh said, and its mecha design and combat seemed more 'realistic' to me. G Gundam's mecha are more on the 'Super Robots' genre, focusing on 'hand-to-hand' combat (kungfu style) and 'special finishing moves' such as conjuring energy balls - much like Dragonball characters in mecha form. Totally different from what I expect from a 'typical' Gundam show. This is of coz, my own fault for 'expecting' something which it is not, but it certainly didnt help on first impressions.

2. Many mecha designs are butt-ugly, so much so that some of these designs - I dunno whether I should laugh or feel insulted. Fish-gundam, Mermaid gundam, crab gundam, windmill gundam, skull gundam, boatman gundam - I'm sure you'll find them 'interesting' :roll: . Makes one seriously wonder if they spend any time in such designs at all, or was it a brain-storm session where any design goes? Comparing to supposedly 'much older' designs in Zeta, ZZ, CCA, F91, and its immediate predecessor - V Gundam; tell me if anyone dont feel the design quality had dropped a GREAT deal? :x

3. The main char, Domon Kasshu, ALWAYS wins. Period. You will know that the combat ends when he uses the special move 'shining' or 'god' finger. Only exception is when his kungfu teacher, Master Asia, uses a similar move, and the fight will be even. Way too predictable. I prefer a story where the opponents at least have some sort of a chance of winning. :roll:

To be fair, the storyline was quite interesting with some plot twists and a surprise ending. :)

BTW, to answer your question on what 'happened', I quote from MAHQ:

"Bandai celebrated Gundam's 15th anniversary by trying something new: free the franchise from the continuity of the the Universal Century (and sell more model kits). "

I wonder if it is considered a successful series? I'd rather have a full series of F91....
a full F91 series wouldve rocked. mainly cuz the F91 gundam rules, and the crossbone vanguard actually seemed like really cool villians (unlike the zanscare in Victory)

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:02 am

FSS is totally emo wrote: a full F91 series wouldve rocked. mainly cuz the F91 gundam rules, and the crossbone vanguard actually seemed like really cool villians (unlike the zanscare in Victory)
Guess I juz cant let go of the good old times of the UC series... :?

:oops:
Looking for:

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:30 am

Rubel Colus wrote:Guess I juz cant let go of the good old times of the UC series... :?

Why would you want to? 8)
Dr. Mystico: I'll build a private army of super-apes and take over Cleveland!
Cosgrove: Don't you mean the world?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:50 am

Daishikaze wrote:
Rubel Colus wrote:Guess I juz cant let go of the good old times of the UC series... :?

Why would you want to? 8)
I keep comparing old UC series to newer series... :|

Waiting for the sign of Z... :oops:
Looking for:

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:01 pm

I keep comparing old UC series to newer series...
Same here, it not really our fault though. As AU series are usaully borrow element and event from UC series. (G and TAG are two that I can't really compare to UC series. It would be like compare tomato with clock, which make no sense.) :D
Justice will never lose!

Zoxesyr

Post by Zoxesyr » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:21 pm

I always thought that G-Gundam was a Kid's TV show that played in the UC universe, ala "Dragonball". There is a side-story manga where some kids in the UC universe are playing a video game. In the video game they create their own MS's and fight them "Street-Fighter" style. G-Gundam always reminded me of that.

As for F91 - I loved the "sequel" manga called "Crossbone Gundam" which follows the remaining Crossbone group as they return to Jupiter to exact revenge for being used in the colony attacks. I thought that would have been a great follow up to the movie as an OAV or series.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:54 pm

I would also like to see Crossbone Gundam made into a TV series. However, if I were involved with the project I'd have a number of the mobile suits re-designed. There are a few mobile suits and mobile armors that look a bit silly to me but could be marvelously re-done.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Giant Satan Robo

Post by Giant Satan Robo » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:31 pm

Zoxesyr wrote:I always thought that G-Gundam was a Kid's TV show that played in the UC universe, ala "Dragonball". There is a side-story manga where some kids in the UC universe are playing a video game. In the video game they create their own MS's and fight them "Street-Fighter" style. G-Gundam always reminded me of that.

As for F91 - I loved the "sequel" manga called "Crossbone Gundam" which follows the remaining Crossbone group as they return to Jupiter to exact revenge for being used in the colony attacks. I thought that would have been a great follow up to the movie as an OAV or series.

I believe you're thinking of Plamo-kyo Shiro. The fun thing about that was that they were actually building customized model kits and battling those. They were all UC designs, though, and they actually turned out a few cool ones, like the Full Armor Zaku and the Zaku Full Vernian. That series is also where the Perfect Gundam came from, although I'm not too fond of that one myself. And a Crossbone Gundam series with the relevant Katoki designs would indeed have been great.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:45 pm

G-Gundam was a terrific show. It just wasn't a Gundam show -- at least, not in spirit. What it really was, was "Street Fighter" with Giant Robots. It was directed by Imagawa, who did Giant Robo -- it was very much in the same vein.

The God Gundam was, I think, not so much supposed to be thematically related to the Western "one God" as to the more general idea of "a God." Like, perhaps, the "God of Gundams," or the "Godlike Gundam."

It was a fairly lackluster design -- like 99% of the MSs in the show, as they were all designed by the supremely over-the-hill Okawara. However, Imagawa's dramatic utilization of the MSs in the show made me kinda like it, eventually.