Tyrant Sword - Cockpits

Mobile Suit Gundam and all its spinoffs

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tyrant Sword - Cockpits

Post by Tachyon » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:35 pm

The motorcycle-style cockpit of the Tyrant Sword looks really cool but is it practical? It seems like the cockpits seen in Z Gundam and Char's Counterattack seem better suited to operating a humanoid machine.

I'll post the cockpit and flight suit images soon. I need to clean up the scans I made.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:48 pm

All I can say is: At least its DIFFERENT.

(and personally, I saw no problem with it from a practicality standpoint. It works for motorcycle riders...)

Xavadis

Post by Xavadis » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:15 am

I think Fujita has a thing for motorcycles. There was a motorcycle design article in a HJ that had some text by him.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:43 am

http://www.gearsonline.net/gundam/tyran ... ckpit2.gif
http://www.gearsonline.net/gundam/tyran ... ckpit3.gif
http://www.gearsonline.net/gundam/tyran ... ckpit4.gif

For those who are curious, I've posted the cockpit images we've been discussing. There will be a Tyrant Sword section but I can't promise when it will be ready.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Zoxesyr

Post by Zoxesyr » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:15 am

:?:to me these seem uncomfortable, cramped and dangerous. taking on high-g mecha-gymnastics in this pose could be fatal.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:16 am

You're probably right. Me, I like them because I pretty much don't like to mix mecha and reality very much.

When you start looking at giant combat robots through realism- and/or physics-tinted glasses, they vanish in a puff of logic. Ground pressure, maintenance time, bullet traps, easy targets, high cost, processing power, breakdowns... The obstructions to giant robot feasibility are nigh insurmountable.

Consider: The Rick Dias weighs 54.7 metric tons. An M1A1 Abrams tank weighs 61.3 metric tons... And is roughly the size of one of the Rick Dias' feet! Weighing so little, the Rick Dias would be extremely fragile. It would also probably blow over in a strong wind. This is just one small example of why I try never to look at mecha from a practicality standpoint. Its all about coolness, baby.
Zoxesyr wrote::?:to me these seem uncomfortable, cramped and dangerous. taking on high-g mecha-gymnastics in this pose could be fatal.

Zoxesyr

Post by Zoxesyr » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:12 am

Grebo Guru wrote:You're probably right. Me, I like them because I pretty much don't like to mix mecha and reality very much.
I admit that is one of my weaknesses. I do prefer to pilot in the comfort of an easy-chair. :D

Wasn't there another series (back in the dunbine era or so) that had similar cockpits?

Mechanical Specimen

Post by Mechanical Specimen » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:44 am

Heh...interesting way of describing the early 80s there.

Yes there was a "Dunbine" era show with motorcycle styled cocpits..a 1983 Studio Nue/Artland production with the heads of Macross working on it called Cho Jiku Seiki Orguss aka Super Dimensional Century Orguss.

The said mecha was called the M-Lover types,a kind of high speed Gerwalk craft used for basic defense or cargo delivery purposes.The thing about the M-Lover's cocpits that worked was that they were a tad more streamlined and movements like a motorcycle were possible.The only other "Dunbine"era shows with a motorcycle styled cocpit I can think of are the Ride Armors from Genesis Climber Mospeada and the Hover Tanks from Super Dimensional Calvary Southern Cross(Technicaly Southern Cross after Mospeada,Dunbine,and Orguss)

The Tyrant Sword,though it's a kick ass looking Mobile Suit,the flaws are somewhat pressent.Maybe Fujita wasn't exactly going for something too realistic....just something interesting looking.But I don't think this design would've seen air time on a TV series,OAV or movie.....maybe in a video game of some sort back in the day.

SteamTrooper

Post by SteamTrooper » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:50 pm

I seem to remember that Anna and Una had transforming Flying Mecha with a motorbike config in the Dominion Comics - I do like the idea of this arrangement I guess like motorbikes themselves it would appeal to a more `hands on` and nose to the ground pilot/rider - especially open conopied versions.

Mechanical Specimen

Post by Mechanical Specimen » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:04 pm

I agree...the motorcycle styling for some mecha like the Garlands,Harguns in Megazone 23 are also fine examples.But then again,their designs are meant to be motorcycles.I think that sometimes,smaller mecha can be suited to have such control systems,probably for easier handling and such.The L-Gaim Mark 1.and 2 also had motorcycle control systems..the Spiral Flows,which were variable hoverbikes that on command become the cocpit systems for the Heavy Metals...though I can kind of see the Mk.II's cocpit working since it had a 360 view of the combat enviroment,and had auxillary controls for somewhat more complex movements.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:35 pm

Did anyone ever see "Dead Heat"? It was a 1-episode OVA done in 3-D! (yep, glasses and all)

The mecha were humanoid motorcycles -- imagine a mech whose torso is a motorcycle body (the headlight is on the chest), has no head, has arms with hands, and has legs which terminate in one motorcycle wheel each. The drivers sit on motorcycle style seats which essentailly project out from the mech's back and ride them, open-air, just like a regular bike. It was a racing action story. Shoot, what were those motorcycle mechs called...?

Anyway, all this talk about motorcycle cockpits reminded me of it.

Mechanical Specimen

Post by Mechanical Specimen » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:41 am

I saw some promo art and a few designs for Dead Heat a while back.Believe it or not,it's a Surnise show! But it fell into obscurity from what I heard,part of the big OAV boom.But I do remember it had some very interesting designs....especialy the racers,whose names seem to elude me.

AslanCross

Post by AslanCross » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:40 pm

I really wouldn't want to be in that position while piloting a mech. I'd rather be leaning back, I think it's a lot safer.

I also think the Megazone 23 mechs had the pilot sitting upright when they were in Maneuver Slave mode, although they were still astride the bike. Being bent down looks rather limiting. Also, I don't see what use being in that position might serve. Of course, it's not really about realism, but if I were in a mecha pilot's shoes I really wouldn't want to pilot that.

kosh

Post by kosh » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:46 am

The motorcycle style cockpits are exciting and stylish from an appearance stand point , especially if they move like the old motorcycle racing arcade games where you sat on a cycle style seat and leaned with the curves in the game . Imagine a 360 degree hemispherical cockpit with the motorcycle style seat and controls in the middle of it and you'll get my point . On the practicality side , though , they seem dubious to me , but it makes for great manga and anime .
Do you understand?

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:33 pm

FX! That's it. The classification of the motorcycle-mechs from Dead Heat was "FX".
Grebo Guru wrote:Did anyone ever see "Dead Heat"? It was a 1-episode OVA done in 3-D! (yep, glasses and all)

The mecha were humanoid motorcycles -- imagine a mech whose torso is a motorcycle body (the headlight is on the chest), has no head, has arms with hands, and has legs which terminate in one motorcycle wheel each. The drivers sit on motorcycle style seats which essentailly project out from the mech's back and ride them, open-air, just like a regular bike. It was a racing action story. Shoot, what were those motorcycle mechs called...?

Anyway, all this talk about motorcycle cockpits reminded me of it.