Hajime Katoki's Kampfer (Colored) ALSO A REQUEST FOR LINEART

Mobile Suit Gundam and all its spinoffs

Moderator: kosh

NiTRO493

Hajime Katoki's Kampfer (Colored) ALSO A REQUEST FOR LINEART

Post by NiTRO493 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:27 pm

I NEED SOME MODERN 0079 LINEART SUCH AS THE HGUC KITS. GUNDAM, GUNTANK, GUNCANNON, BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Altron

Post by Altron » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:41 am

A please might be nice. Check MAHQ.

Do you only color the linearts in, or do you make mechs of your own? I think the Keampfer's spikey shoulder cone color could use some work. The single band around it's color looks a little out of place.

Falk

Post by Falk » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:17 am

Lol, and you may also desactivate your capslock Nitro :þ

Mmh there's something I don't get about your colorations, why is the line-art always aliased ?
Do you use line-art found on the net so the quality is "random" ? :wink:
Or maybe it's your software ? The way you scan it ? You maximise it ?

Cuz' IMO it ruins the work, well personnally I can't stand that :wink: , lot of people use the wizzard stick in photoshop cuz' it's fast, but that's the sort of result you get. Doing it by hand is the only way to get it right (well in fact no, in photoshop 7 and more there's a new tool (in the filter menu) which is relatively smart and can differenciate one shade from another, it may work well on line-art and more generally manga style artwork).

Also maybe you don't have a graphic tablet, but even with a mouse it should be ok, you may consider using a darker shade to simulate shadows, this will add depth to the artwork.

NiTRO493

Post by NiTRO493 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:01 am

I dont have any special program to do it with, I dotn use a magic wand tool or whatever, i just use a sprite editor. The image becomes transparent and it shows all the different shades of white cuz only one shad of white can be transparent, not them all. I spend about 20 min per lineart. I dont use any special program- i just use a built-in sprite editor in the program called "Game Maker" which you can download at gamemaker.nl

Im going to shade them all but not now- im lazy.

Falk

Post by Falk » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:30 pm

Ha m'kay.
Do you use this sprite software on purpose ?
Cuz' if it's ok for an RPG with 16x16 pixels sprites, it seems a bit limited for coloration IMO, well if at least it could handle an alpha channel and not only one transparent shade.

In photoshop for instance you can use layers, you put them upon the lineart but blend them with it. So whatever is white takes the color upon, and the lineart is still black. One layer/color, then you can change each color as you like so you may find some new paint shame etc etc.
You can find some cheap photoshop on ebay I think (60$), those are some older versions (like photoshop 6), but even version 6 is still pretty good.

Maybe some free software could work well too, but I don't have any in mind.

NiTRO493

Post by NiTRO493 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:28 pm

Ok- i dont really care abotu what your sayign...cuz... i dont know why your saying it... and.... I never said these were interesting, i just said theyre something i can do so just lay off. There's no O LOOK WHAT I CAN DO IM BETTER THAN YOU and I have no idea what photoshop really is, i've seen a friend use it though. :x

Falk

Post by Falk » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:36 pm

Oh well...
I'm not sure I get your post well, as my english isn't perfect I may misunderstand the tone of your reply, and in this sort of case the best is to keep cool.

Nothing in my posts (exept the capslock^^) was meant to be arrogant and I hope you didn't took it that way.

I stop right there. :roll:

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:13 pm

Damn Nitro, take it easy dude.

NiTRO493

Post by NiTRO493 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:18 pm

Sorry. :D

Altron

Post by Altron » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:21 am

Yeah, I guess Falk was only trying to be helpful, but maybe you got defensive? But it's all good since you two have 'kissed and made up.'

NiTRO493

Post by NiTRO493 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:43 am

Altron wrote:Yeah, I guess Falk was only trying to be helpful, but maybe you got defensive? But it's all good since you two have 'kissed and made up.'
Shutup :?

Anyway- i didnt find anything useful an MAHQ. But i got a Guncannon from sumplace else. Katoki-Style. :D

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:14 pm

Man, Nitro... Telling people to shut up is not the way to be liked...

Altron

Post by Altron » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:53 pm

Meh, it's sort of too late. The first impression is always remembered.

Anyway, I think it looks good, but the lines are too blocky/8-bit looking. If they could be smoother or maybe thinner, things would look nice and polished. Also, try and give the suits new color schemes, not just copying them from the past designs. Much more impressive that way.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:03 am

I agree, the jaggedness of the lines really detracts from the work being done.

Also, adding in some highlights and shadows would really help bring out the mecha's shape, and keep it from looking "flat".