Opinions on Victory Gundam & G Gundam

Mobile Suit Gundam and all its spinoffs

Moderator: kosh

Daishikaze

Opinions on Victory Gundam & G Gundam

Post by Daishikaze » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:13 pm

What are your opinions on these 2 series. I haven't seen either of them, and I read alot of Mixed reviews, so I thought I'd ask you guys
Dr. Mystico: I'll build a private army of super-apes and take over Cleveland!
Cosgrove: Don't you mean the world?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Mave

Post by Mave » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:31 pm

Both are good in their own ways.
I'm probably gonna be crucified by the G-haters now :roll:

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:41 pm

If u can get past the "13 or 14 yr old boy piloting a Gundam on his first try, and kicking trained pilots' asses", then V Gundam is for you. :D It's not too bad. A bit draggy at times; i'd say i like it better than ZZ ;)

On the other hand, if u like Dragonball style, kungfu fighting mechs, u'd love G Gundam. There're so many Gundams in this show, one for each country, u can even see fish gundam, windmill gundam, skeleton gundam, and the lovely sailormoon gundam :oops: . Not many nice designs here though, and many designs are total crap. BTW, the main guy always wins if he uses his God/Shining Finger move, so u'll always know when the episode is about to end. Watch it with a fun attitude and its ok. Otherwise, lets just say it sucks. :?
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:48 pm

The Child pilot kicking ass is not the most outlandish thing I have ever heard of in an anime, so I don't think I'll mind that.

DBZ with Gundams kinda worries me. How DBZ-ish is it?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Tomexe

Post by Tomexe » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:54 pm

Actually a 13 or 14 year old piloting a heavily automated machine is rather less spectacular than a 13 or 14 year old blowing up trains and machinegunning German soldiers, things which happened on more than one occasion in WWII.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:58 pm

too true. its not too strange when you think of it in that light

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:57 pm

Tomexe wrote:Actually a 13 or 14 year old piloting a heavily automated machine is rather less spectacular than a 13 or 14 year old blowing up trains and machinegunning German soldiers, things which happened on more than one occasion in WWII.
u're rite. all of them were forced by circumstances in a chaotic world. the battle for survival, sad :( . Basically, the main theme of most of the Gundam series.

Still, I find the idea of young boys kicking trained soldier's ass abit hard to swallow. Amuro and Camille Bidan, maybe they are naturally gifted and easily get "in-touch" with machines, they got some previous experience on mech designs. Camille had seen the details of his father's design - the Gundam MK-II beforehand, so I think his story is most acceptable. But this 13/14 yr old Usso, I dont recall him having such background. Anyway, I do accept that young kids learn stuff much faster, and react faster and more creatively too ;)

As for G Gundam, it is mostly on close combat kungfu fights. Most of the Gundams will have some special moves. Some pilots can call out and "summon" their Gundams. As for the piloting, dont expect the usual cockpit seats and controls. :D The pilots stand in the middle of the empty cockpit and their actions are directly enacted by the Gundam mech. Many Gundam designs, especially the unimportant ones, are utterly horrible. Also, I dont like the main guy having a "sure win" move, i.e. he wins EVERYTIME he uses the move. :x To be fair, the storyline is quite ok and fun if you can get past all that :D
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

Zoxesyr

Spoilers ahoy...

Post by Zoxesyr » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:35 am

Victory hangs together pretty well as a storyline. I found most of the secondary characters much more interesting than the main ones. THere are some "What the heck was THAT?" moments in Victory, but otherwise I liked it. (top 5 "what tha'..." moments: 1-newtype fetus, 2-newtype dolphins, 3-harleys to heaven, 4-brazilian bikini squad, 5-scene after the death of Uso's mother.)

G-Gundam is strange no matter how you slice it, so this is my take: It is a Dragon-Ball-Z-like series that the kids in the gundam universe watched. When I look at it that way, it has some fun scenes, a couple interesting characters, and a few cool mechs.

goth_fiend

Post by goth_fiend » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:41 am

devil gundam was awesome, but thats about all i have seen from g gundam (besides a few mecha here and there- i guess i better get the series)

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:17 am

I can't believe there are so many G-Gundam haters out there.

If you understand exactly what G-Gundam is trying to do, you'd appreciate it a lot more.

G-Gundam was a homage to Go Nagai and his style of storytelling and action. The character designs and mecha action in G-Gundam were definately done in the style of the old Super Robot type shows that Go Nagai pioneered. If you go into the show with this in mind, its quite good actually. (treat it like Gekiganger in the Nadesico universe)
Shinei!

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:04 am

When you look at it that way, I suppose I might enjoy it, especially since I'm very familiar with Nagai's style.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:33 pm

Victory Gundam was loads of fun! It was, however, packed with the most utterly wierd and hard-to-explain scenes of any Gundam show: Giant motorcycle tanks... the jet-packed and bazooka-wielding anti-MS bikini team... riding a Harley to heaven... a Newtype dolphin... a Newtype fetus... French revolution guilootining galore... first and only use of the term "Psychickers," which is never fully explained... the attempted "dress worn over a normal suit" seduction scene... the list goes on and on.

G-Gundam was really great, but it really shouldn't have been a Gundam show. It was basically Street Fighter with giant robots. Imagawa (the director, who also did Giant Robo and Gaogaigar) is a genius.