Gundam ZZ

Mobile Suit Gundam and all its spinoffs

Moderator: kosh

Mechanical Specimen

Post by Mechanical Specimen » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:14 pm

IMO Gundam ZZ was the product of Yoshiyuki Tomino finaly agreeing to take his medication,which he had been neglecting after finnishing the jaw dropping,spine shredding epics like Ideon,Dunbine,and Gundam Zeta.

Personaly,I agree with Grebo,the second half of the series was pretty much the best part,though,in a nutshell,it wasn't the best of the Gundam bunch.I think Tomino was trying to make Gundam ZZ like L-Gaim,a stylish rock and rollin' space hopping epic with nifty character and mechanical designs.The design part was down pact,but the story was kinda flat.

And is it just me or did he get lazy with some of the characters...praticularly Mashymre Cello.He's exactly LIKE Gavelt Gablae from L-Gaim,an implusive lavender haired pretty boy solider of fortune with his own battleship and a wide assortment of mecha to use.He also has a right hand man he tends to use as a verbal and physical punching bag when things aren't done right,he's none to bright,and is romanticaly obcessed with one of the female leads to the point of whorship.His relationship with the main character is something of Protagonist/Antagonist rivalry,but it's far too comical to be serious.

Clemmy Toto is erieely similar to Giwaza Lowaw(though like Mashy,a prettyboy)especialy during the last bit of Gundam ZZ,as he stages a uprising against his so called "allies",hoping to obtain power and control while having a desire to wipe out the rebel forces who oppose him.At his disposal are several loyal subjects and young women as his pawns(Ok maybe a little bit like Posiedal/Amandara with the female control factor.)

Gundam ZZ did have nice designs and the second opening theme is a good example of 80s anime music to remember,though like it's distant cousin Gundam SEED,it's storyline grows strong during the last portion,only to have a rather lackluster ending.

If you want to watch ZZ for continuity in the UC universe,go right ahead....
But,I'd say stick to Zeta,or hell stick the other sunrise show that ran with it,Blue Comet SPT Layzner.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:16 am

Wow, MechSpec, I like your take on the ZZ/L-Gaim connection! You are SO right. Great to see a fellow mechahead who really really knows his stuff!!!!

Y'know, this talk of ZZ-LG meminds me of the similarities between the original Gundam and The Ideon... In interviews, Tomino, often gets the names of the characters mixed up between the two shows. (!) Personally, Im glad the Gundam crew didn't suffer fates as gruesome as those of Ideon...
Mechanical Specimen wrote:IMO Gundam ZZ was the product of Yoshiyuki Tomino finaly agreeing to take his medication,which he had been neglecting after finnishing the jaw dropping,spine shredding epics like Ideon,Dunbine,and Gundam Zeta.

<snip>

If you want to watch ZZ for continuity in the UC universe,go right ahead....
But,I'd say stick to Zeta,or hell stick the other sunrise show that ran with it,Blue Comet SPT Layzner.

Giant Satan Robo

Post by Giant Satan Robo » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:27 am

I've never seen LG or Layzner, although I've wanted to for a while. I must say though that I swore I'd never watch ZZ after I saw a pic of the Zeta Zaku, and heard that the show was originally going to have a character in it named Elbow Smash.

Mechanical Specimen

Post by Mechanical Specimen » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:36 am

Well I think Gundam ZZ was something that had the The Right Stuff

Just not The Right Launching Pad.

The Zeta Zaku head idea was immediately scrapped afterwards during the show because,well,the fans weren't too happy with the idea of the beloved MS-006 having a not so fashionable MS-06 head upon it's sleek and elegant body.

Personaly,I liked the idea of Hiroyuki Kitazume as the character designer.He was great as one of the artists and animators behind Gundam Zeta(aswell as many other shows under Tomino's watch),but you can obviously tell Tomino wasn't looking to have Kitazume design a batch of angst ridden characters (Those would end up being created for Char's Counterattack.)A majority of Gundam ZZ's characters seem to personify
a spirit of punky 80s youth,especialy with the fashion sense.

Judau and Leina also had a stranger "brother and sister" bond...something that was akin to another popular 80s mecha sibling duo
Rom and Leina Stol of Machine Robo aswell as Daba Myroad and Quasan Obliee (Ok technicaly they were half siblings but that's a different story.)Judau as a character I never could get a hold of.He was a street punk.Amuro and Camile,sure were distant lone wolves,but Judau struck me as the kind of kid I wouldn't mind beating to death with a tire iron.

The final episode also was a strange ending.It reminded me of L-Gaim's last scenes,the somewhat anti climatic duel and the main characters taking off towards the stars(Ok Machine Robo had a similar ending too,but that show ended before Gundam ZZ,But there's a lack of info to connect Yoshiyuki Tomino with Machine Robo.)

That's my extra 5 cents anyway.

[/i]

Judo Ashita

Post by Judo Ashita » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:42 am

Tachyon wrote:I'm hoping I can find a way someday to watch Gundam ZZ subtitled.
Gundam ZZ has yet to be licensed. The complete fansub of all 47 episodes of Gundam ZZ can be found at http://www.animeskyscraper.com/torrent.html.

As you can tell, I'm a hardcore ZZ fan :P ZZ is the show that brought me into Gundam fandom, and the very first episode of Gundam I ever saw was the Dublin colony drop episode - the episode where ZZ gets serious and hardcore. However, I agree about the first half of the series. Also, ZZ gets flack for not being Zeta Gundam, part 2.

I for one wish that the surviving ZZ characters could somehow be revisited. I know that Judo was exiled to Jupiter because they needed him out of the way for the upcoming Char's Counterattack. But it would be nice if Bandai were to do Gundam stories that 'filled the gap', so to speak, between ZZ and the F91/V Gundam era.

A pleasure to meet you all! I look forward to much fun posting on these forums.

Judo

Zoxesyr

Post by Zoxesyr » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:56 am

Giant Satan Robo wrote: ... heard that the show was originally going to have a character in it named Elbow Smash.
Grebo and I got that name from US Gundam pontif Mark Simmons. He found out that there was some kind of list of character names that didn't get included. One was "Elbo Smassu" or something.

Since Grebo was running a ZZ rpg, I just decided to play that character, and it was a blast.

BTW Mech, I really love the LGaim/ZZ comparison!