How well do you think Zeta Gundam will get over in the US?

Mobile Suit Gundam and all its spinoffs

Moderator: kosh

Daishikaze

How well do you think Zeta Gundam will get over in the US?

Post by Daishikaze » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:29 pm

Just what the title says. Will it be a hit? or will constant comparisions to newer shows bury this classic?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:51 pm

Grebo may be able to answer this as he works in the anime biz. Personally, I don't know but I'll be buying my copies of the CD's.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:20 am

I'll definately be replacing my HK set with the legit set when I can afford it. I'm worried that it might be in trouble because alot of new anime "fans" only like what is new, and get disgusted by older anime, I don't know how wide spread this attitude is outside of the Internet, but most places I have been to on the web people snear at anything older than they are.

I hope Zeta gets a fair chance thats all.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:38 am

I will be buying Zeta Gundam on DVD, no question. It is, after all, the best mecha anime TV series of all time.

(Which is not to be confused with the best anime series of all time, period mecha or no -- which is Evangelion.)

However, Americans dont seem to give much of a sh** about Gundam. Hell, even being broadcast on TV, Gundam Seed is failing and will be pulled after episode 26. Therefore, its seems fairly certain to me that Zeta Gundam will not be a success. But at least the discriminating few who have always wanted to see it will get their chance.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:42 am

do you think if it fails to meet sales expectation it will be the end of Gundam in the West? I hope not, I want to see a legit set of ZZ & Victory Gundam after this.

goth_fiend

Post by goth_fiend » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:31 pm

I want Z gundam out now, but its gonna be a while what with seed out here and the SD show and all, but evangelion I have to disagree with being the greatest anime of all time, yes it was incredible, but damn those last 5 episodes where the tripiest damn things ever (even after seeing the 2 movies!) awesome series that needed more action imo (but it was awesome so dont be flaming for saying what I did!)

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:56 pm

Zeta is coming, it will be out on November 30th, I pre-ordered my set 2 weeks ago. I advise you to watching the shelves where ever you buy your anime from, because I read that once they sell out, they won't release it again ( Grebo, can you confirm this? )

I hope the person I got that info from is wrong though.
Dr. Mystico: I'll build a private army of super-apes and take over Cleveland!
Cosgrove: Don't you mean the world?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:31 pm

About damn time!

I'm surprised they decided to release SEED before ZGundam. They've been talking about a ZGundam release going on about 3 years now...
Shinei!

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:25 pm

I'm surprised I'm the only one who knew it was coming. I mean I discovered it was coming by just looking around a online anime shop and one day Zeta Gundam appeared for pre-order. I did a search on it and alot of places have it up for pre-order, including Amazon.

We are getting some cool stuff too:
A collector's box with original artwork on it
a 48 page Guide to Zeta Gundam
A Poster
and 9 MS figurine/pencil sharpeners

I can't remember if there is anything I'm forgetting, but I can't wait until mine arrives.
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

goth_fiend

Post by goth_fiend » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:07 am

never mind, complete steal for what you get @ 140.00 pre-ordered! now i just have to get the wing set, g-gundam set, ms gundam set...you get the picture i have g savior and endless waltz but have seen all of wing and have entirly way too many mangas!

Xavadis

Post by Xavadis » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:04 am

I think it will suffer from that fact that fans just don't like older stuff. Zeta is my favorite, up there with CCA and Sentinel for me, but modern Gundam fans are used to many more Gundam MS in a anime these days (Gundam Wing, Seed), and the Zeta MS doesn't even show up till well into the story!! It just boils down to the fact that Gundam is a different kind of show than it used to be in the 80's.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:16 pm

I agree, but thats the Johnny-come-lately Mainstream crowd. They only want new and flashy. Give them something good like Zeta and they don't know what to make of it.

"Its gundam, and I liked wing, G, and seed. But its from 1985, and I was born in 1986, so........... it can't be any good because It came out before me, and nobody made anything good until after I came around "

Thats the thought process for most of the mainstream crowd, I have talked to sooooooo many people like this its frightening. Thats why if they do release the rest of the UC universe on DVD, it will be in limited numbers, just enough to take care of the core fanbase and that will be it I'm afraid.

Though it seems we may be in luck when it comes to classic shows because there just aren't as many new shows being made, so alot of companies are licensing the older stuff to fulfill the requirement for "new" anime.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:53 pm

IMO, Zeta will not do especially well. It will go over great with serious Gundam fans, but not with regular fans of "anime in general". Face it, Zeta Gundam is old, it doesnt have bouncy bubble-breasts, nor any of the other super-over-the-top embellishments for which anime has become infamous.

Gundam is tanking in the USA. Seed is going to be pulled from CN at any time now, no toy stores are ordering the Seed toys because their racks are still full of G-Gundam figures they can't sell (Zebra Gundam, Jester Gundam, etc, etc). The DVD releases of F91 and Zeta may well be the death rattle of Gundam in America.

I hope I'm wrong, but from all indications this seems to be the way things are going.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:49 pm

They may release ZZ and Victory eventually, but I wouldn't doubt it if they kept the release as a limited edition ( just for the core UC audience) , and then moved on to something newer.

This is why I have problems with the alot of younger anime crowd, they are always too quick to judge. The "Its old, so it must be absolute Garbage" mentality is sort of ruining the anime experience for older fans like us, because New stuff is of higher priority, the shows we have waited on for years get pushed back for lack of interest from the Majority.

I'm glad that there are alot of fans out there, I just wish they could see what they are missing.