New Gundam Series Designer?

Mobile Suit Gundam and all its spinoffs

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Gundam Series Designer?

Post by Tachyon » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:04 pm

If they were to make a new Gundam TV or OAV series, who would you most want to see doing the mecha designs?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:23 pm

Jun'ichi Akutsu.He done very impressive work in SEED : Astray. I known he's one who done first 5 Gundam from SEED.But instead of Okawara, we need Hajime Katoki to do clean-up and creat some powerful design in addition. That would be much better.Now Okawara should be there too.(He still good at something with simple and plain design. )
Justice will never lose!

Temjin

Post by Temjin » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:50 am

Izubuchi Yutaka and Katoki Hajime. They will make a great team I think. :)

I also like Kawamori Shoji works, but he is better at Macross/aircraft stuff.

Waterslayer

Post by Waterslayer » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:29 pm

heh... shirow masamune. But I'm a big fan of the cyberpunk style.

kosh

Post by kosh » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:32 pm

I would have to say Fujita and Katoki on the Feddie MS and Kondo on the Zeon/enemy MS.Fujita and Katoki have a better feel for the Federation designs and Kondos' softer edge style looks great on Zeon style MS.
Do you understand?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:17 am

It would be nice to see Kondo do some more designs. I have 4 of his art books and I like what he does.

As for Masamune Shiro working on mobile suit designs, I'd like to see them too. I think he could bring a lot of creativity and interest to the Gundam universe. However, a good negotiator would first have to talk Shiro into it. He has said in interviews that he doesn't like the idea of "giant robots." He didn't say how giant "giant" is but one would guess 40 feet or taller is a good bet.

In Appleseed book 4 a cyborg dons a landmate specially made for cyborg use. The result is a pretty big machine and when the order is given, a sharpshooter takes it out with no problem. In the sharpshooter's words, "How can you miss when the target's that big?"

Altron

Post by Altron » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:03 pm

Katoki. I really, really likes what he does when his creativity is allowed to go rampant. Classic designs arise.

Xavadis

Post by Xavadis » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:11 pm

I'd like to see Maramou Ito design for a new UC series. He designed the incredible 'Man-machines' MS for the Gaia Gear Gundam story, like the Gaia Gear Alpha and Zorin Soul. Beautiful designs.

I'd also like to see Kenki Fujioka work on a new series too. He did the designs for the Advance of Zeta serial in Dengeki Hobby.

Waterslayer

Post by Waterslayer » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:07 pm

Tachyon wrote:As for Masamune Shiro working on mobile suit designs, I'd like to see them too. I think he could bring a lot of creativity and interest to the Gundam universe. However, a good negotiator would first have to talk Shiro into it. He has said in interviews that he doesn't like the idea of "giant robots." He didn't say how giant "giant" is but one would guess 40 feet or taller is a good bet.
Set it further into the future where the technology has "shrunken" and it'd be right up his alley :D

Hydra Mirage

Post by Hydra Mirage » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:09 pm

In my opinion, I don't think it matters who designs for Gundam.
They always end up looking the same, with very few exceptions.
Even when Nagano and Syd Mead designed for them...
Probably too many rules for Gundam design.

Shirow, Nagano and whoever did Evangelion are way ahead of the Gundam clones.

I remember one great gundam design, the Nightingale but it cost soo much !

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:21 pm

I like a lot of the Gundam designs but I do recall a translated interview with Izubuchi Yutaka where he was asked about his work on Char's Counterattack. He said when designing Gundam mobile suits, "most of the work is already done for you." This made me think as Izubuchi's desings for the movie are real popular with fans (including me).

AslanCross

Post by AslanCross » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:51 am

Hydra Mirage wrote:In my opinion, I don't think it matters who designs for Gundam.
They always end up looking the same, with very few exceptions.
Even when Nagano and Syd Mead designed for them...
Probably too many rules for Gundam design.

Shirow, Nagano and whoever did Evangelion are way ahead of the Gundam clones.

I remember one great gundam design, the Nightingale but it cost soo much !
I think a lot of them look the same because Okawara designed a lot of them. The five Gundams done by Junichi Akutsu in SEED and the Astrays look quite different. I'd really like to see a series done entirely by Akutsu and Katoki. (For the non-mech vehicles, Kimitoshi Yamane still does a good job)