AU Gundam designs compared to the UC Gundam designs.

Mobile Suit Gundam and all its spinoffs

Moderator: kosh

kosh

AU Gundam designs compared to the UC Gundam designs.

Post by kosh » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:44 am

I'm going to post this because this is always a hot subject for debate.How does everyone feel about the AU gundam designs(AC,AW,FC,CC and CE) as compared with the UC gundam designs.I'm not posting my opinion......yet,I want to see what everyone else thinks.So join in,this subject gets some really diverse and oppionated reactions.
Do you understand?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:49 am

I'd say I like the UC designs more. There are great designs in every series (even G Gundam :wink: ) but the UC designs seem more like gritty war machines and less like colorful super heroes.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:13 am

I like UC more. Well,as Tachyon said. Usaully AU's Gundam seem to be... fruitie. :D (Not all of them.)

One advantage for UC over AU is the long history of MS developement. It's good to see how MS of each period evolve from previous. The solid detail information, like power rate of weapon, on each MS also add more realistic to them. :D
Justice will never lose!

Xavadis

Post by Xavadis » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:22 am

I agree, I prefer UC. Back in the 80's, a Gundam was a GUNDAM. Now there are 4 million Gundam variants running around in each show. But back to the design, I think back in the 80's there was more work done on what THE Gundam or two Gundams of the series would look like. More time and effort could be put on refining the design; now, since there are more Gundams in series like G Gundam, Wing or Seed, I think there is less emphasis put on making it look more unique because they have to crank out more designs... just change the smaller details and give them different colors and BINGO...onto the next one. There really hasn't been any designs that REALLY make you go Wow in Seed, have you noticed? I mean, look at how different ZZ Gundam or Ex-S Gundam looked to anything that came before them. I think they tried to do this with Turn-A but it was just too bland and they thought adding a mustace would set it apart. The Turn-X was a GOOD design though, THAT should have been the hero MS.

Waterslayer

Post by Waterslayer » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:28 pm

Xavadis wrote:I think they tried to do this with Turn-A but it was just too bland and they thought adding a mustace would set it apart.
Do a bit of research before throwing around a claim like that :wink:

I like the UC designs better, as they're more down-to-earth. I'm with the others... Fruity super-hero designs with unrealistic powers just don't cut it for me.

Altron

Post by Altron » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:56 pm

Ahh yes, the realists on the board are posting. I like the AU designs. Sure, they are colorful, but it adds personality as opposed to the mass production suit types. But then again, even the UC has these personality-coordinated suits. (Char Aznable)

Alright, I will admit that I hold a very large amount of respect for the UC designs. They are the foundation of Gundam. Consistent and real, they give us down-to-earth, realistic views on how mobile suits may evolve, but AU is inventive.

AU breaks away from the mass production, and gives customization to almost every suit. The Astray model's beam katana and high generator output would never have happened in UC. The Deathsythe Hell Custom would never have such monstrous and awful power, cleaving suits into mere dices and bits of metal. Yes, they are quite unrealistic, but you must think for a second. They are outside the box.

G-Gundam had the neural suits, when they moved, the gundam responded. That was cool. The Zero system could give the suit hightened response time and judgement. I'm sure Newtypes had this as well, but not nearly IMO as cool.

In short, you should honor both universes, even though you may be a hardcore fan of one or the other.

Waterslayer

Post by Waterslayer » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:51 pm

Altron wrote:AU breaks away from the mass production, and gives customization to almost every suit. The Astray model's beam katana and high generator output would never have happened in UC. The Deathsythe Hell Custom would never have such monstrous and awful power, cleaving suits into mere dices and bits of metal. Yes, they are quite unrealistic, but you must think for a second. They are outside the box.
It's interesting that you bring this up. I try to find a balance between these worlds in my designs... The mecha I design for a certain pilot is always specifically for that pilot.
G-Gundam had the neural suits, when they moved, the gundam responded. That was cool. The Zero system could give the suit hightened response time and judgement. I'm sure Newtypes had this as well, but not nearly IMO as cool.
Heh, like Escaflowne. That's a world that keeps it down-to-earth in it's own scifi/fantasy sort of way... In all actuality, the MS's designed for newtypes often featured magnetic coating on the joints, allowing for faster reaction times. In all reality, the Zero System is the same as any Psycommu system.

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:01 pm

I feel that Zero System is more of modified version of F91's bio computer. (which is reverse-psycommu system.)
Justice will never lose!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:59 pm

Please help me understand the difference between a psycommu and reverse-psycommu system.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:26 am

Well, basically Psycommu system is work by has pilot transmit his/her psychowave to the system. Then the system would translates them into computer commands.
Now bio-computer is work by gather the information and relay it directly to the pilot in the form of sensory information, some source say it's relay it directly to pilot's brain.

Hope that help...
Justice will never lose!

kosh

Post by kosh » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:18 am

If I recall correctly,in Gundam F90,wasn't there a slightly different bio-computer version?Well two to be exact,one with Amuro Reys brain wave pattern and one with Char Aznables brain wave.I read somewhere that the one with Amuros' was a defensive suit and the one with Chars' was offensive and the two suits would over-ride the pilots and seek each other out for a fight.
Do you understand?

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:18 pm

AR chip and CA chip is...well, nothing much is known about them. But you're right that AR is defensive and CA is offensive.

But they doesn't seem to be bio-computer. Well, it isn't much reliable source. But in SD G Generation F, Gundam F90II equiped with both bio-computer and CA chip.

Something funny here. Dave (hero of F90) finish the stolen F90 by do a "last shooting". (Remember? A pose that RX-78-2 use shoot Zeong's head, F90 also loss it's head and arm.) Navi (heroine of F90) also mention that Dave's eyes remind her of Amuro's.(Guess she just see his potrait.) Maybe the author of Gundam F90 want to make Dave as Amuro's reincarnation. :D

I may wrong though...
Justice will never lose!

AslanCross

Post by AslanCross » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:59 pm

I like both very much, and I believe that the two can go hand-in-hand.

The UC series explains a lot of its technology and you can see the units actually improving as time went on, with logical progression. They were units of finesse, capable of delivering heavy firepower rapidly and precisely. Of course the crowning glory of the UC units was NT-use technology---starting from the lowly Magnet Coating all the way to the super-advanced Psycoframe. Then there were other systems, such as ALICE and the Biocomputer. All in all, the Gundams of the UC series were developed to be more or less the main line of offense and defense. They were versatile high-performance units. The Nu Gundam, for example, is agile, and carries sufficient equipment for almost any type of engagement---beam saber for melee, rapid-firing beam rifle for fast-moving targets, bazooka for warships and slow-moving targets, and fin funnels for that awesome all-range attack. Of course, the fin funnels can project a protective beam barrier as well. Then there's the standard-issue shield. All-in-all, it's a unit equipped for any type of combat.

The AU series (even starting with G Gundam) heralded the advent of specialized units. A lot of the Gundams seen in the AU series concentrate on one aspect of wafare and do especially well in that, but sacrifice other areas. For example, the Deathscythe of GW and the Blitz of SEED. Both are highly specialized strike units that rely heavily on stealth, but aren't that well-equipped for a prolonged melee. Heavyarms and Leopard, on the other hand, are walking weapons platforms designed to spam the battlefield with missiles and gunfire, but they won't do well at all in hand-to-hand. Sandrock is a melee tank, but not much else. Gundam X and Double X were almost exclusively made for the Satellite Cannon's tremendous firepower.

If you'll ask me, my favorite Gundam ever is the Hi-Nu, followed closely by the Ex-S. But after seeing the Astray designs, the distinction between the designs begins to blur a little. I kinda see the best of both worlds in them. They start out as rather ordinary machines, with the standard rifle-saber-shield equipment. But Red gets a touch of G-Gundam, sporting a katana (correction, though, Altron--Red's katana is a solid sword, not a beam) and the ability to emit energy balls from its hand. Blue is the midpoint---standard armament coupled with PS Armor, and that gigantic Tactical Arms Blade. Gold eventually becomes the Amatsu, a hi-tech, hi-speed strike unit with Mirage Colloid and Phase Shift armor, and some of the Blitz Gundam's weaponry. All that, coupled with Junichi Akutsu's lovely designs, kinda fuses a lot of Gundam's designs all into one series. How I wish they would animate Astray.

Even when I design my own units, I keep in mind the roles they're made for, as well as the versatility factor.

ShinDVDz

Post by ShinDVDz » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:01 pm

In general, UC tends to cater to the more traditional fans, but I'm newschool and I still like it.
A big problem with the AU gundams, IMO, is that they were mradically different or unreal. G Gundam would be the obvious example, but even in Wing and X, they had this incredibly strong armor and it barely weighed anything. Gundam MK II already weighed 33 metric tons when it was empty, but Gundam Double X weighed only about 7-8 metric tons when it was empty. That's totally unbelieveable. Is it possible that something more durable can be lighter? Yes, but with UC, they're practically invincible. The suits are light, strong, AND fast.
I personally like UC more, obviously. I didnt read all of the posts, but I agree with this one person that you do see progression in the mobile suits. It feels like there's a whole world in UC and it's constantly evolving, so people that have watched it since the beginning, can feel a connection because they've grown with it.

Altron

Post by Altron » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:03 pm

Alright, alrighty already! I know people, the AU is unrealistic, but please, it has its upsides too.

Look, I'm a dedicated fan to the AU, but the UC is really fun to watch too. I just can't get into the battles. They're so boring and realistic that ... well, they lose my attention. in the AU, there's action at every turn, and it allows great creativity to arise. Think of a 40 foot beam lance. It's never been done has it? Might seem a little weird, but the creative breeding grounds of Gundam is the AU.

Protest as you may, but really, I'm sick of watching MS evolve. It is cool, but I also like to see new and exiting designs at every new turn. Lighten up a bit ( playing upon DVDs last post ) and enjoy a break from physics 101 or science class.