Advance of Z Images

Mobile Suit Gundam and all its spinoffs

Moderator: kosh

ninjascience

Advance of Z Images

Post by ninjascience » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:00 pm

Here are some images of the very interesting Advance of Z bad guy mecha. There's a variation of the Zaku II, Rick Dom, and Gelgoog. They all feature arms attached to the suit with wires that can be extended via a wench. They also have a large vertical plate attached to the front or back. I have no idea what the plates (or fins?) are for. Feel free to post your own theories! Perhaps I will attempt a translation of some of the captions.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ninjascien ... dvanceofz/

Engage

Post by Engage » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:51 pm

Thanks for the images! Perhaps the fins are stabilizers?

ninjascience

Post by ninjascience » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:20 pm

I thought about that, but for space-bourne mecha it only makes sense if they have some thrusters on them, and it doesn't look like they do. They are also hinged where they attach to the body so it looks like they pivot up and out. On all three mechs, they are next to the wench as well, so I assume it has something to do with the wench.

Engage

Post by Engage » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:31 am

All three mechs have thrusters, they are just a little hard to see, but I do see what you mean. Maybe the plates are some sort of guide for the arms?

ninjascience

Post by ninjascience » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:55 pm

Yeah, I meant no thrusters on the plates. I did find some additional scans out on the net that show the plate extended up and out along the hinge and the wire arm firing out along it. Maybe it uses a magnetic field to guide the arm, like a rail gun? Have railguns appeared in Gundam before?

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:13 pm

not having seen any other illustrations of the plates- I'd have to guess that they are either one of 2 things-

1 Shields- the fold in 1/2 like the GP03's and slide up and down the wire to protect it from being cut-

2- primitive funnels- they act as collectors for the broadcast microwave energy-

the first bits on the elmeth were self contained with there own reactors and consequentially very large- (a single bit is the size of an MS torso)

Suddenly in Z Gundam - the Funnels are these tiny (missile sized) units which rely on the MS or MA to broadcast power to them-

The Units shown here might be an intermediate step- the micronization of the funnels receptors hasn't been perfected yet or some such- this is why the Quebley is soo bad-ass in Z.

since these units mount extra arms and beamguns-they are probably retro-fitted 'claw arms' like the early MA's and thus allow the New Type pilots to use All range attacks on otherwise normal MS-

Just a theory until the text gets translated or we see these units in action

ninjascience

Post by ninjascience » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:29 pm

Wow, nice analysis.

I'm not sure about the idea that these are prototype funnels, since they stay connected to the MS via a wire.

I'll see if I can find the firing the pic and post it here.

Here's a link to a forum dedicated to AoZ, I haven't gone through all the info yet.

http://s7.invisionfree.com/Titans_Test_Team/index.php?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:25 pm

If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

ninjascience

Post by ninjascience » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:48 pm

That's a serious possibility, as this is the Advance of Zeta series and it's my understanding that it was in Zeta that the psychomu stuff really took off. (My Gundam history is pathetic).

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:19 pm

Yeah- perhaps a bit more like the INCOM system than a Fannel sytem- but both systems basically do the same thing - put your weaponry out at a signifigant range from the host MS and allow a vastly increased feild of fire by reorienting the weapon-

As for the history - due to the effects of Minovsky particles on Radar and Radio- the first remote systems were wire guided weapons similer to the ones we use today- you actually see them in Gundam Ep. 1-

Some of the early Mobile Armors use wire or cable guided systems to project the All Range Attack- I'm not certain if these MA were NT units or not- the Nue Ziel uses this type of system to operate the claw arms but it does not require a New Type to be used effectively- I think new types are simply able to put these systems to better use due to their spatial awareness.

The first truly NT machine was, of course, the Elmeth mentioned in my prior post- the Psychommu broadcast the brainwaves directly- and since the Bits had their own reactors, they had no need for a wire-

The next evelotion in the original series is the introduction of the Quebly in Z- (a pretty massive technological leap if you ask me) by removing the internal generators on the bits and reducing the size of the psychommu, the same type of system is now deployable on a MS-

in ZZ - many of the MS start using missile systems which may or may not be wire guided (you never see the wires at least )

then the INCOM system is developed- allowing remote attacks to be used by wire guided AI controlled bits- basically allowing a normal pilot to counter a New Types use of Funnels-

then last come the Funnels of Char's Counter Attack- funnels which appear to have miniturized generators combined with broadcast power and are so finely tuned to the pilots mind via a Pyscho-Frame- that they literally act on instinct-

so from Gundam to Zeta the only step in funnel evolution occurs with the development of the non NT all range wire guided systems ala the New Ziel- wire guided arms- sounds a lot like what these units are displaying- extra limbs which can extend on wires- whether they are Psychom systems or the intermediate all range units is probably more a matter of whose piloting-

seems pretty logical- but I can't realy be sure until somebody translates the design notes-

Engage

Post by Engage » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:44 pm

I don't think that an incom could be called an all-ranged weapon considering that it is tethered to a wire (this isn't a personal attack, I'm just pointing it out). In Gundam, there have been systems that allow Oldtypes (non-Newtypes) to control incoms/funnels. The first would be the Nue Ziel, using a "half-control" system, which basically mimics a psycommu system. The second would be the "quasi-psycommu" computer control system, seen in ZZ on the Doven Wolf.

Technically though, weren't incoms already invented in Gundam Sentinal (which took place during Z Gundam)?

ninjascience

Post by ninjascience » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:50 am

voila!

the guys over at the "Titans Test Team" forum have gone through all this already. Here's a quote from user toysdream that sums up some real info a user translated from the books and manga...
The descriptions in the books and magazines don't mention any Newtype or psycommu technology being involved in the winch units. In fact, a caption in the second Dengeki Hobby Advance of Zeta book reports that "The so-called 'winch unit' which launches wire-guided arm parts is a weapon which can be used even by ordinary pilots who aren't Newtypes." The profile for the Rick Dom Stutzer says that the data gathered by these custom machines was later used by the Axis forces in their own mobile suit development, so it's possible that these crude winch units are ancestors of the incom technology used in the Doven Wolf and its kin.

As for why the Stutzer machines all have these winch units, they're said to be particularly useful for guerilla warfare. They can be used to entangle (and electrify) enemy mobile suits, attack the enemy from unexpected directions with hand grenades and suchlike, and even perform the classic rocket punch. All of this is even more effective when fighting in shoal zones and debris clusters, where there are lots of asteroids and scrap fragments to hide behind.
Here's a link to the actual forum...

http://s7.invisionfree.com/Titans_Test_ ... wtopic=260

Engage

Post by Engage » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:07 am

Wow, that actually clears up alot. Thanks for the link! Now I want to get my hands on the manga so I can see those units in action :P

ninjascience

Post by ninjascience » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:36 am

The question of the "Big Plate" still seems to be a mystery. A theory over at the Titans Test Team forum is that they are a guide for the launch of the arm. That doesn't make much sense to me as a physical guide, only if it was guided without actually touching the plate.

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:06 pm

yeah the "big plate" is still a bit of a mystery- watching some cranes put up a new skyscraper gives me a possible idea- the plate is simply that- a plate used to counter weight the inertia of the launching wire units-

someone quoted that Sentinal took place during Zeta Gundam- it actually takes place in the ZZ arc of the UC timeline so the premise that these units are pre-cursors to the Incom systems is still pretty valid-

the only other thing I can think of would be that the plate is some sort of Battery or fuel reserve- (I am reminded of the long rectangular batteries on the shoulder blades of the EVAs to extend their combat life w/out the power cable)

whatever the plate is- I certainly pre-fer it mounted on the back rather than the front- looks more aesthetic that way-