Thoughts on Gall Force

Gall Force anime, manga, fanfiction, etc.
Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Wed May 30, 2007 2:06 pm

That will never happen, and if it did it would be a mess. A case of too many chefs spoiling the stew. I mean look at Urusei Yatsura movie 4: Lum The Forever, while still a pretty good film, because Yamazaki was trying to pander to all the fans, it became a mess that most people just can't understand. There is something there, but its hidden behind too many fan service (meaning all the things fans wanted, not the more well known definition of T&A).
Dr. Mystico: I'll build a private army of super-apes and take over Cleveland!
Cosgrove: Don't you mean the world?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Quanto

Post by Quanto » Wed May 30, 2007 2:12 pm

Meh I suppose your right. I guess thats what fan-fictions are for. I should really get back to writing mine. I've been letting it sit for too long >_>

So, changing the subject here. How many of us here think that ALL of them died at the end? >_>

I would have to say that I'm in that group of fans who says they survived. And I bet Rabby and Patty escaped Chaos as well.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Wed May 30, 2007 2:17 pm

Rabby and Patty's fighters were only for atmospheric flight weren't they? How would the be able to fly to Terra?

I think Shildy and co. survived for certain, I'd imagine they at least tried to go to Terra after the battle.
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

severanced

Post by severanced » Wed May 30, 2007 2:33 pm

Quanto wrote:Know what would be really awesome?

a 12 Episode, 1 Hour each, series, sort of like Band of Brothers, but more like Band of Sisters! :D
Interesting you should say that since when I did the review for the podcast for it (look a few posts back), that was a major point that came up. It was generally felt that the show was trying to do a gigantic amount in what was a standard movie length at the time. I mean, when you put it altogether, there's about as much storyline in that one movie as, say, all of Combattler V or most other 52 episode giant robot shows.

Spreading the show out would have probably helped greatly, but then again Kakinuma is a rather dense writer (and I mean that in a very positive way :P ). If you look at the closest thing that he's done to Gall Force in a TV series which was Mospeada, you see how he had to spread out the invasion of the Invid and the development of the characters over the series.

I think a 13 episode or 26 episode show would have been excellent for this series and the fact that it didn't get a show was probably a testament to the OAV generation at the time. Why do a hardcore otaku oriented TV series that costs tons of money and is very risky when you can do a one shot OAV for a fraction of the price and charge people $80 a pop to watch it? If the show were done today, they would have probably made it a late night TV show instead since that's where the hardcore otaku market goes today.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Wed May 30, 2007 2:43 pm

Its not just Gall Force that got that treatment, Megazone 23 is another one that should have been a tv series, but got stuck on video instead. I think the failure of Mospeada doomed Artmic to being a Video only studio. So many of Artmic shows would have been much better had they gotten a TV series like they deserved.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed May 30, 2007 2:51 pm

IF a Gall Force remake was good I could get into it. However, as a mecha fan I see a problem with a remake. A remake would probably cause a request for new ship/mecha designs to help with sparking fans' interest and marketing. However, a Gall Force remake with all new mecha designs would be weird for me. I'm not sure I'd take to it. I like the old designs so much.

Gall Force as a TV series might be difficult to pull off. I like the time shift between Eternal Story and Destruction. It added levels to the setting and story. To have such a radical shift in a TV series (time shift and new cast) would be difficult to get approved by a studio and might be hard to sell to viewers.

Now, making Eternal story as a high-budget 12 episode series and then Destruction/Stardust War as a sequal 12 episode series -- that has possibilities! Find a way to invite some of the original creative staff back and find a "master negotiator" to pitch the idea to the studio of re-using the "under-appreciated" mecha designs from the first Gall Force... Poetry! You would still have to hire mecha designers for new ships/machines as the new format would have room to expand the storyline and add new events. Dare to dream!

As for survivors of Gall Force...
I got the impression that Patty and Rabby died on Chaos. For one thing, the entire surface of the planetoid was razed. Also, if they survive then the theme of sacrifice is greatly diminished. Thirdly, they would age enough before Shildy & Co. came around to make them difficult to use as characters.

As for Shildy and her teammates surviving, I think there are very good chances. Emryo didn't seem to be a part of the battle raging in that solar system. With all the planet destroying cannons firing a person could argue that a majority of the planets in that solar system were destroyed but you could just as easily say that the battle had them mostly firing away from planets. The Paranoid leader, Bohn (Born), seemed to have some depth of character in Stardust War that I'd like to see further explored. And how did Journey become such a hardcase? Some background for her would be nice.

I got the impression that the Paranoid leadership was getting ready to negotiate a peace once any opportunity presented itself. And why not send a spy probe or 2 to Terra (Earth) to observe the one fluke success of the Species Unification Plan? The results would probably be so profound to Solnoid and Paranoid leadership that it would cause them to re-think things. Certainly the survivors of the battle in Stardust War would be ready to pause and re-think their goals. Solnoid leadership saw a chance for victory. After a cataclismic battle like that I'll bet even Journey would be ready to talk with someone.

The reason I think a fanfic of Gall Force would be so cool is there is so much for an author to work with. What caused the ages long war? What were things like before? What could things be like afterwards? What are the over-arching goals of the Paranoid and what kinds of solutions would they accept?

I'm a die-hard Gall Force fan for 2 reasons: Cool sci-fi action and an underlying story that is ambitious sci-fi storytelling at its best.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Quanto

Post by Quanto » Wed May 30, 2007 3:05 pm

Ah man, your words on leader Journey definately hit a chord for me. However, i view Leader Journey differently, is see her much more as a Power-Hungry Demagogue who only cares about serving her own ambitions. I bet she is actually the only survivor of the orignal conflict (she is a brain stored on a computer afterall) and she simply has so much hatred for the Paranoid that she simply refuses to give up.

If there were survivors, i can guarentee you that there would be a split in the Solnoid Empire after that. You would have those loyal to Journey, and then those who align themselves to Captian Nebulart. I could imagine the Loyalists then continuing the fight against both the Paranoid and the Nebulart Solnoids thus forcing a defacto alliance between Nebulart's people and the Paranoids.

As far as the Paranoids are concerned, I seriously see them as far more sane and well composed than the Solnoids were. If anything, i bet the Paranoids would have simply tried to avoid further conflict and escape to another corner of the Galaxy. Leaving the Loyalists and the "Nebularts" to sort out their differences.

Gah! New ideas! I'm gonna write this sh**! :twisted:

severanced

Post by severanced » Wed May 30, 2007 6:30 pm

Well, along with all of this talking, perhaps all of those who are knowledgeable enough about Gall Force and have the requisite Wikipedia skills can sort of band together and start expanding on the Gall Force article on Wikipedia's site. Maybe we can get that up to being an "A" class article at thus, start to attract some more attention to the series.

Any ideas?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed May 30, 2007 7:44 pm

What needs to be added to make it an A class article? I can think of a number of things I *could* add but what *should* be added?

severanced

Post by severanced » Wed May 30, 2007 8:00 pm

Tachyon wrote:What needs to be added to make it an A class article? I can think of a number of things I *could* add but what *should* be added?
Well, it's sort of hard to tell, but each movie should have a plot summary and character summary. Here is an example of an "A" Class Article. And here's another example.

It should probably have a reception section, that's written honestly and if there any information on the Japanese reception it should be included. Also it should have a section on Gall Force merchandise and other media. That would certainly get it closer at least.

Quanto

Post by Quanto » Wed May 30, 2007 8:34 pm

Well, as far as merchandise is concerned, there are a few photos of some Catty Statues, and also a Rabby and Patty one as well, I'd have to scour google again, but they are out there.

The OrangeRoad website has a lot of cool little nick nacks, maybe we could e-mail the webmaster and find out what he knows.

And anyone who has the LaserDisc set would be an awesome asset.

The main thing that always stopped me from making any major changes to that article was the fact that Wikipedia has very strict Copyright Protection and I didn't want to dive too deep into that matter. For me, the visual aid is almost a necisity for the Gall Force universe.

**EDIT**

Also, I'd rather that the article not deal with Gall Force in the manner that it would be done for a typical anime. Gall Force has a very indepth Sci-Fi universe and I'd rather that a wikipedia article covering it should be multiple pages covering things like the Characters, the Ships, the Ground/Air Mecha, and also try to bring the Gall Force Community into the spotlight as well. Because just like Star Wars and Star Trek, Gall Force has a pretty well entrenched branch of both Canon Material and Fanon Material. So the article should try to cover both.
Last edited by Quanto on Wed May 30, 2007 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

severanced

Post by severanced » Wed May 30, 2007 8:44 pm

Well I can take photos of whatever merchandise I have, resins and such, and there's stuff on other sites we can scrounge up. I guess photos aren't as much of a problem as arranging it all and making it something cohesive.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed May 30, 2007 8:51 pm

but each movie should have a plot summary and character summary
How about the summaries for plot and characters I've already posted on the Gears Gall Force pages?

Quanto

Post by Quanto » Wed May 30, 2007 9:10 pm

Tachyon wrote:
but each movie should have a plot summary and character summary
How about the summaries for plot and characters I've already posted on the Gears Gall Force pages?
Not a bad idea, but I wouldn't want to copy them verbatim.

We really need to set up a Gall Force section, so we and like discuss each part of the wiki separately.
<_<
>_>

gato2006chile

Post by gato2006chile » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:21 am

Quanto wrote:As far as the Paranoids are concerned, I seriously see them as far more sane and well composed than the Solnoids were. If anything, i bet the Paranoids would have simply tried to avoid further conflict and escape to another corner of the Galaxy. Leaving the Loyalists and the "Nebularts" to sort out their differences.

Gah! New ideas! I'm gonna write this sh**! :twisted:
Perhaps its the origin of Gall Force Revolution? The Solenoid Civil War