Thoughts on Gall Force

Gall Force anime, manga, fanfiction, etc.
Quanto

Post by Quanto » Wed May 30, 2007 12:47 pm

Well, the Coldwar Fears of Mutually Assured Destruction, and other world ending scenarios are no longer on the forefront of people's minds, on top of that, I think the anime culture as a whole has lost some of its original appeal. People want happy school girl and anxious preteen-boy-turned-world-savior animes. I mean seriously, take a step back and look at the role of women in anime between 1985 and 2005. Japan has taken a much stronger cultural stance away from self-empowered women.

I think that has a lot to do with it. Also, when was the last time Japanese film/tv studios have really put together a GOOD sci-fi space drama? And anyone who mention's Eureka 7 should quickly rethink their stance there.

Cowboy Beebop may be the last good one, i'm not a fan mind you, but I think its the last of the GOOD original sci-fi dramas.
Oh, and I haven't seen a good Epic Space Battle in even longer time. I think the only series that compared to Gall Force, (that I've seen) in the area of Epic Space Battles, was Macross. I'm sure there are others, but I haven't been able to find any that are easy to get ahold of. I bought "Big Wars" a while back, but it wasn't anything like I hoped it would be.

With this in mind, I REALLY DON'T want to see Gall Force: The Revolution, the Character Designs alone are reason enough not to watch it. And the idea of pitting Rabby and Lufy on opposite sides doesn't bode well either :X

severanced

Post by severanced » Wed May 30, 2007 12:58 pm

I've shown Gall Force to a number of my friends and pretty much all of them really liked it, although, it's harder to get fans into the show because it's an older show and it looks it. While I love the look of the show and wouldn't have it any other way, the kids who show up and watch Eureka 7 and then go back to Gall Force are going to notice a stark difference in quality (not that I've got anything against Eureka 7, it's just an example).

I think it's very striking that Gall Force was sort of conceived as this otaku project and has lots of qualities that the hardcore fans would want at the time (pretty girls, space ships, etc...) and it was able to rise above and beyond just being fan crap thanks to the writing of Hideaki Kakinuma and the directing of Katsuhito Akiyama, into something that's actually memorable.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Wed May 30, 2007 12:58 pm

I totally agree with you, anime certainly has lost alot of ground these days.

I think there have been a few good epic space drama series lately, Crest/Banner Of The Stars & Legend Of The Galactic Heroes being chief among them. Aside from them, you are right, there doesn't seem to be any interest in making such shows anymore. I'm hopeful that Glass Fleet can measure up considering some of the Macross boys are responsible for it, but it is being made by studio GONZO, who don't have a sterling track record for making complete and plausible shows, so its up in the air.

And I agree about Gall Force: The Revolution, that show is probably what killed the franchise if you ask me.
Dr. Mystico: I'll build a private army of super-apes and take over Cleveland!
Cosgrove: Don't you mean the world?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed May 30, 2007 12:59 pm

Hello, Quanto.
You were calling some ships that only measured about 200meters "Battleships"
I don't know much of anything about naval classes so I just thought stuff up as I was typing. Thanks for your notes. I'll go back and revise the ship descriptions.

I'm curious enough about Gall Force: Revolution to try and watch it but I haven't heard of it coming out on DVD and I don't want to tie up my computer with a long download of a fansub (unless someone can tell me it's really good).

As for Gall Force's lack of popularity in North America, it's hard to say and I don't really have any keen insight on this. After reading several DVD reviews online I got the impression that several people were really bothered by the series' lack of polish in some areas. There were some elements of the show that were a little cheesy but didn't bother me. Some people get so bothered by them that they can't see anything else. A shame, really. As Quanto said, we just don't see many epic space battles in anime anymore and that's what I really go for.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Wed May 30, 2007 1:07 pm

Cheesy moments? I don't think I noticed any myself
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Quanto

Post by Quanto » Wed May 30, 2007 1:17 pm

Tachyon - No problem, I'll be more than willing to give whatever supplemental info you may need. You have put together an awesome site, so I'd hate to see it go to waste :D

I actually wouldn't say that Gall Force is "lacking popularity" in north america, its doing better here than it has been in Japan :X

I only know of about 3 hardcore Gall Force fans over there. They got sites too!
I've exchanged E-Mail with one of them (Iwahashi who runs Iwa-Labo), but it didn't last longer than about 3 emails as a result of the language barrier (we both were using language translation programs to read eachothers messages :D)
Iwa Labo
This one is run by a very talented artist. I'm not sure about her professional history, but I want to say that she was probably one of Sonoda's understudies. But who knows. She also did the art for a Gall Force Doujin called "Songs for Gall Force." If anyone knows how to get ahold of this one, please do and share with rest of us!
SADA LABO
Then there is the Catty Fansite, everything there is Catty Related. Pretty funny stuff at times :D Most of the fan art this guy does is 3D CG, but many of his guest stuff is hand drawn. I submitted one of my own pieces there!
Catty-Max

It would be cool if it were possible to somehow join both Gall Force fan groups. But that damn language barrier is always an issue.
Last edited by Quanto on Wed May 30, 2007 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

severanced

Post by severanced » Wed May 30, 2007 1:24 pm

Daishikaze wrote:Cheesy moments? I don't think I noticed any myself
I think the numerous musical montages might be considered cheesy by today's standards, mainly because that's an element that was so typical to almost all 80's anime and they just don't use that anymore. I mean, think of a recent anime that used musical montages regularly? The last one I can think of was the Ghost in the Shell movie Innocence and the previous Ghost in the Shell Movie. Also, the scene with Rabby sitting on the toilet thinking about Lufy, while it could be seen as a pretty thoughtful scene, is somewhat jarring to someone just watching it.

As for Gall Force The Revolution. I have the entire series in both a VHS fansub and the somewhat rare DVD (I bought the Japanese limited edition DVD box set so I have pretty much all the Gall Force on DVD in Japan). It's a very different viewpoint on the show. I was written by Hideaki Kakinuma himself, but it's considered an alternate universe and it's very weird to see the world of Gall Force without the Solnoids and Paranoids fighting and instead see the Solnoids East and the Solnoids West. And that they changed around a bunch of the characters such as Catty who is no longer an android. Revolution was also strange in that it did show some blatant sexuality as one of the commanders forcefully kisses the one of the cast (I think it was Lufy but I don't remember).

In all honesty, I guess Gall Force was dead before Revolution since Gall Force New Era was never even finished, which was a shame since it was really looking like it could be pretty good. Revolution was sort of a last hurrah for the series. Maybe it will get a revival, but probably not for a while. Although I believe there was some talk about Junk Force being animated which is another work by Hideaki Kakinuma which has some similarities to Gall Force.

Quanto

Post by Quanto » Wed May 30, 2007 1:29 pm

severanced wrote:
Daishikaze wrote:Cheesy moments? I don't think I noticed any myself
I think the numerous musical montages might be considered cheesy by today's standards, mainly because that's an element that was so typical to almost all 80's anime and they just don't use that anymore. I mean, think of a recent anime that used musical montages regularly? The last one I can think of was the Ghost in the Shell movie Innocence and the previous Ghost in the Shell Movie. Also, the scene with Rabby sitting on the toilet thinking about Lufy, while it could be seen as a pretty thoughtful scene, is somewhat jarring to someone just watching it.
Pretty much nails all of it right there :D

I've actually thought about trying to write like a novelized fanfic version of the Original Trilogy and try to fill in the blanks between episodes. This forum needs a Gall Force section...
>_>
<_<

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Wed May 30, 2007 1:35 pm

But US Live action shows and films use musical montages all the time, so its not a very good reason for people to hate Gall Force if you ask me.

severanced

Post by severanced » Wed May 30, 2007 1:37 pm

Daishikaze wrote:But US Live action shows and films use musical montages all the time, so its not a very good reason for people to hate Gall Force if you ask me.
If you're referring to movies by Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts, then yes, that is a reason to hate them :D .

Quanto

Post by Quanto » Wed May 30, 2007 1:43 pm

You may be right, but at the same time, Gall Force really didn't have that much music in it. It was ussually only during a fight or one of those "Montages". And the montages were cheesy because they would popup out of the blue with little forewarning, I honestly think the series would have benefited from some more "none lyrical" scores. However it was the 80s and it was common place to see things like that in anime at the time.

I don't exactly look at the Original Trilogy, or the rest of the series for that matter, as something sacred that should be untouched. In all seriousness, there were some minor flaws in the writing and direction that don't exactly stand the test of time. If I were a director or producer, I would definately try to put together a remake. However, i would actually see what i could do to invite the original creators into the project and give them the creative freedom the would want to truly put it all together. I bet when the series was originally created, there was a lot of time restraints and funding issues that lead to some of the creative decisions made in the series.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Wed May 30, 2007 1:52 pm

The only problem I can see with Gall Force was that it should have been a TV series, at least 26 episodes. They could have taken alittle more time and evened out the story, and answer questions when they popped up, instead of dedicating most of the 3rd film to explaining and clarifying.

But flawed as it was, its still something special, and I think its the same with most of Artmic's works.

Quanto

Post by Quanto » Wed May 30, 2007 1:55 pm

Know what would be really awesome?

a 12 Episode, 1 Hour each, series, sort of like Band of Brothers, but more like Band of Sisters! :D

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Wed May 30, 2007 1:59 pm

That probably would have worked too. I'm not for remaking it though, Japan hasn't been very good with remakes lately if you ask me. They wind up losing alot of what made the original so special.

I'd rather keep what we have rather than lose most of what makes it so good in the first place in favor of making it more popular with the youngin's

Quanto

Post by Quanto » Wed May 30, 2007 2:00 pm

The fans need to band together and remake it :D
lol, dreams.