FAC 2005 entry

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

cobywan

Post by cobywan » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:44 pm

Happy, How can you call any of these guys amatures? They sculpt models of very difficult designs. What have you done? Ever. Do you even build models?

These guys are professionals. By definition. They are eperts too. Maybe not masters but come on! They are better than the sculptors who were making kits in the early 90's.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:26 pm

KOG wrote: FAC stuff is a very small, limited market in comparison. Volks and WSC sell to the average FSS customer. FAC stuff is mostly of interest to the dedicated customer.

But FAC is such a small, limited thing... it has no real impact on the general FSS market. So what they sculpt at FAC really doesn't make any difference to the FSS market.
Okay, if you say FAC is sculpting the same MH for some special dedicated customer, it's quite possible.

But as a consumer yourself, won't you want FAC staff to sculpt something that hasn't came out in 1/100 before?

So would it be fair to say in a consumer pt. of view, they can sell ea. kit for more money, for e.g., 30K yen vs. 20K yen, if they sculpt some of higher demand, aka, MH that hasn't been release in 1/100 scale? It's simple supply and demand.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:34 pm

cobywan wrote:Happy, How can you call any of these guys amatures? They sculpt models of very difficult designs. What have you done? Ever. Do you even build models?

These guys are professionals. By definition. They are eperts too. Maybe not masters but come on! They are better than the sculptors who were making kits in the early 90's.
First of all, the early 90's is 15 yr. ago, a lot has changed since then. In the early 90's, Kaiyodo cooked up w/ the vinyl idea and people would still go for it. you know anyone who would go for vinyl lately? Clearly the std. has moved up.

I called them amateur based on the results of the FAC 2004. Some of them are okay, but some of them are bad. Look at the 1/35 Maglow. You are telling me that level of work is professional?

I'm a consumer, I compare apple to apple. Comparing that FAC 2004 1/35 Maglow, it doesn't come close to the one volks has.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

when you buy a pet:

Adopt a pet

cobywan

Post by cobywan » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:39 am

I have to be honest here. I don't know what you are talking about. Can you sculpt better?

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:03 am

Yeah, I can agree that 1/35 Maglow was yucky, but come on, you'll see this type of stuff at every modeling shows/events.

Although MH seemed to get the most attentions, there were a lot of nice figures from FAC 2004, so don't forget about that.

I think one, if not the best looking(and perhaps most wanted) kit at FAC2004 was 1/100 Gastness Temple. I really thought that's how a Gastness would look like if Volks did end up making one of their own. Other than that, 1/100 Flamberge Temple and 1/144 LED B4 were other kits I thought that looked pretty good.

happy, I noticed you used Engage SR-3 as an example of a kit that's been made by Volks. The truth is, the SR-3 that'll be entering FAC2005 is the NewType version. There are some minor, as well as major difference in appearance. Although I'd agree it won't turn out as nice as Volks, still, I can respect someone who's putting the time and effort in making something like a MH kit.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:17 am

Good pt. Sheizzel. If you guys are talking about the fig., then I rest my case. I never look at those fig., neither from Volks or anyone else for that matter. Good or bad, I don't care. I just assume people is primarily interested in MH.

As to FAC2004, Maglow was not the only one that is yucky.

Heavy Cross--can that guy spell the word "Proportion"? That Heavy Cross looks like a Fun House Mirror ver. of Heavy Cross. But I admit, it's better than nothing, since Volks & WSC never made one.

Calvary--I'm glad Silicon Tribe coming out w/ a real one. Because the one at FAC 2004, is the Calista Flockhart ver. of Calvary.

Siren R--Zero detail

Gastness is good, I like it. Some photos I downloaded turned out better than the others.

I'm just randomly picking SR3 as an e.g., what about duplicates like Empress, 1/220 Jagd, Vai o la, etc.? I seriously doubt these amateurs can do a better Vai O La than Volks SSS ver.

when you buy a pet:

Adopt a pet

KOG

Post by KOG » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:07 pm

happy hopping wrote:Okay, if you say FAC is sculpting the same MH for some special dedicated customer, it's quite possible.

But as a consumer yourself, won't you want FAC staff to sculpt something that hasn't came out in 1/100 before?

So would it be fair to say in a consumer pt. of view, they can sell ea. kit for more money, for e.g., 30K yen vs. 20K yen, if they sculpt some of higher demand, aka, MH that hasn't been release in 1/100 scale? It's simple supply and demand.
As a FSS customer, of course I would like to see sculpts from FAC of MH that haven't been made into kits before. New things like Siren R and T-233 and etc., and old things like A Toll Embryo and Fedora and Kan.

But here's some points to consider. Not ALL people are obsessed with getting a kit of every MH, even obscure ones. Some people may not want kits of obscure MH at all. They may just want good kits of their favorite MH, or of popular ones. That's one reason why you might see new sculpts of MH that already have kits. If the demand for an obscure MH is low... there's not much point in taking the time to sculpt one and sell just a few copies.

Also, you have to remember: Volks and WSC are business enterprises. They do what they do to make money, pure and simple. Most of the guys at FAC are probably not there as a business enterprise. Many of the sculptors there may just be fans who wanted to sculpt something of interest to them, and getting some copies sold is a side benefit. So selling a ton of copies may not be their first concern... they may be more concerned with picking a project that interests them.

KOG

Post by KOG » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:13 pm

happy hopping wrote:First of all, the early 90's is 15 yr. ago, a lot has changed since then. In the early 90's, Kaiyodo cooked up w/ the vinyl idea and people would still go for it. you know anyone who would go for vinyl lately? Clearly the std. has moved up.

I called them amateur based on the results of the FAC 2004. Some of them are okay, but some of them are bad. Look at the 1/35 Maglow. You are telling me that level of work is professional?

I'm a consumer, I compare apple to apple. Comparing that FAC 2004 1/35 Maglow, it doesn't come close to the one volks has.
Vinyl was probably a more attractive option back then because it offered a decent level of detail for a relatively low price, compared to resin. You can probably recall that a lot of older injection plastic kits while still cheap, were somewhat poor in quality.

Injection plastic kit making has been improving, and is probably now a better alternative for the bargain conscious shopper than vinyl. Which is why no one bothers with vinyl anymore...

As for 1/35 Maglow, what are you comparing it to? The Volks 1/100 Maglow? Or are you comparing it to the other 1/35 kits? Either way, I agree, the 1/35 Maglow didn't look great... but then I have to ask, who needs a 1/35 Maglow anyway? Bleh...

It seems pretty clear to me that the sculptor must have just been a big Maglow fan (for whatever weird reason) and sculpted the project for personal satisfaction. I doubt he cared too much if he sold a bunch of copies or not...

I think the spirit of FAC is mostly about enthusiasts trying to give something back to the FSS GK community... it's NOT about replacing Volks or WSC as the leading makers of FSS GK.

KOG

Post by KOG » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:21 pm

happy hopping wrote:Good pt. Sheizzel. If you guys are talking about the fig., then I rest my case. I never look at those fig., neither from Volks or anyone else for that matter. Good or bad, I don't care. I just assume people is primarily interested in MH.

As to FAC2004, Maglow was not the only one that is yucky.

Heavy Cross--can that guy spell the word "Proportion"? That Heavy Cross looks like a Fun House Mirror ver. of Heavy Cross. But I admit, it's better than nothing, since Volks & WSC never made one.

Calvary--I'm glad Silicon Tribe coming out w/ a real one. Because the one at FAC 2004, is the Calista Flockhart ver. of Calvary.

Siren R--Zero detail

Gastness is good, I like it. Some photos I downloaded turned out better than the others.

I'm just randomly picking SR3 as an e.g., what about duplicates like Empress, 1/220 Jagd, Vai o la, etc.? I seriously doubt these amateurs can do a better Vai O La than Volks SSS ver.
Heavy Cross - I really can't blame them on this one. There's only one official piece of artwork available for reference, since this design hasn't made it into the manga yet. And the existing artwork seems a bit... rough and sloppy to me. I think the final design will look a lot better when it makes it into the manga. Hopefully Volks would do a kit based on the manga appearance... IF they ever sculpt anymore MH....

Siren R - I'm not sure, but I think this one just... wasn't finished yet by the time it was shown at FAC.

Gastness Temple - It did look good. Very sad that it didn't make it to recast.

As for those other ones... I really don't think they've ever claimed that they can beat Volks. But there's plenty of other reasons someone might take on the challenge. Using Vai O La as an example... there could be several reasons to sculpt a new one. Being an SSS kit, the old one is quite small... maybe someone wants to make a larger one to fit in better with other modern kits they have? Or... since the SSS kit is in a stiff standing pose, maybe someone wants to make a Vai O La in an action pose? Or maybe someone is just not happy with the proportions or detail of the SSS...

Being 'better' is not always the issue. Sometimes the issue is being 'different'. After all, look how many kits of KOG and LED Mirage and Junchoon we have. We even have multiple kits of lesser MH like Zakker, or Bibros...

Really, the FAC guys are the ones out there putting long hours and lots of hard work into creating a new product. So it's up to them what they choose to sculpt. As a customer, I am free to buy or not buy what they have to offer.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:26 am

The list of entries from Toyspress site http://www.toyspress.co.jp/factorys/wander.html

Check out this 1/100 Vai-o-La!

1/100 Gastness will make another appearance! There will be 100 sets available for both the Vai-O-La and Gastness! That number of sets is quite high so lets hope the recast will be available.

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:46 am

I.
Must.
Get.
That.
Vai-O-La.

It's a shame I can't use the person who (hopefully) get me a LED V3 to get me that Vai-O-La. :(

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:54 pm

Silicon Tribe Calvary R is finished http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/silicon- ... lvary.html .

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:37 am

Such timing. Just in time for FAC 2005

But very rigid, believe it or not, I thought the mod. that Batman did is better than this one.

http://batman2001.cool.ne.jp/gallery/FS ... ges/p2.htm

See for yourself. Anyone agree?

when you buy a pet:

Adopt a pet

cobywan

Post by cobywan » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:02 am

No.

That Silicon Tribe kit has some SERIOUS detail going on there. The pose is difficult because of that buster launcher slung over her shoulder.

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:03 am

The modified SSS model is marginally-nicer overall, but this is one of the designs I could care less about; the god-awful pink scheme just makes it all the more hideous.

I find myself far more excited from having seen shots of the 1/100 A-Toll Scritti and Berlin SR-2. That Vai-O-La looks excellent as well.
John F. Moscato