what should i get?

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

FSS is totally emo

what should i get?

Post by FSS is totally emo » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:44 am

so i finished my Wave 1/144th KOG model, and it turned out fine after filling some seams with modeling putty and sanding off a few extra plastic areas (and completely repainting it- the gold color it was cast in was too like cheesy) (i gave the WAVE Led Mirage to a friend)
now i want to get into resins, and *surprisingly* the local hobby shop has some!, but i need your advice in what to get. they have 4 on the shelf and it looks like they've all been sitting there for a little while.

WSC version Ashura Temple 1/100 scale- $139.99
Volks V Siren 1/100 scale- $99.99
Volks Junchoon 1/100 $99.99
Kaiyodo Patrasque Mirage $89.99

the ashura temple is pretty pricey!
which of these is a good starting one? or are they all hard and should i order online from ebay or something? (ive taken several sculpture classes, so im good with working with materials, so i think i could do resin modeling)

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:10 am

Actually, from the prices you stated, ALL those kits are bootlegs. Pricey? The original WSC Ashura is more than double that price, and all the others are easily $100 more apiece.

Mind you, a bootleg is a better starting point as the next step up from a plastic model... Doesn't hurt nearly as much if you screw-up as it would if you did on a much pricier original. Basically, just go with the MH that gives you a good vibe... I'd probably recommend the V-Siren personally, as it's a SAV model that has separate armor and a sturdy sub-frame; easier to build & paint and is just plain attractive visually.
John F. Moscato

cobywan

Post by cobywan » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:23 am

What John said. She's a beauty and relatively easy to build.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:08 am

Indeed if he's talking about SAV V-Siren Neptune or Prominence, they are both great looking kits and not complicated to build.

Hydra Mirage

Post by Hydra Mirage » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:26 pm

What is the shop ?

Is it a Siren Prominence ?

FSS is totally emo

Post by FSS is totally emo » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:55 pm

the shop is called Ace Venture Hobbies. I got the V Siren, thanks for your guys advice.