New LED Mirage and KOG kits in Newtype

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

levrin

New LED Mirage and KOG kits in Newtype

Post by levrin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:54 am

The November 2011 issue of Newtype has a small article on FSS models, as part of the whole Reboot revival thing. Talks about how FSS modelling has basically been garage kits since forever, and the one time Wave tried to make action figures, they ended up cancelling because no one was satisfied with the quality compared to resin kits, but at the same time they're a high barrier to entry for anyone that's not a hardcore modeller. The new kits are once again by Kaiyodo's Tani Akira; a LED Mirage for Wave, and a KOG for Volks, with the intent to be marginally more accessible to fans drawn in by FSS Reboot. Says they're looking at a ¥35000 pricetag.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/718/fss001.jpg/

[edit: add magazine scan]

Arcanum93

Re: New LED Mirage and KOG kits in Newtype

Post by Arcanum93 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:13 am

Seems outlandishly steep for a 1/144-ish figure that will, by the very fact that it's an assembly line item, likely not be as good as the average built FSS model.
If Nagano really wants to grow his fan base, he should stop farting-around and animate FSS the way it should have been done decades ago rather than trying to beat a dead horse in merchandising by serving up the same old material warmed-over and at a higher price to his shrinking fan base. My two Quatloos...

levrin

Post by levrin » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:26 pm

I think the real issue is that there are too many obsessives and perfectionists involved in FSS. Nobody seems willing to accept "good enough". It's always "perfect or we don't make it". I'm willing to bet a lot of the fans would be quite happy with "good enough" at this point.

Arcanum93

Post by Arcanum93 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:36 am

levrin wrote:I think the real issue is that there are too many obsessives and perfectionists involved in FSS. Nobody seems willing to accept "good enough". It's always "perfect or we don't make it". I'm willing to bet a lot of the fans would be quite happy with "good enough" at this point.
It's certainly possible, but "good enough" seems to top-out at about $120-200.00 in terms of price/value ratio. Just look at the way 1/6 figure collectors complain for little details here and there, and the quality on those is already excellent. I suppose we'll have to wait and see what the final product looks like, but I'm not holding my breath.