Questions for you experienced guys

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

CerealPirate

Questions for you experienced guys

Post by CerealPirate » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:58 pm

Okay, so I've had this kit laying around for years since I found it in a garage. Apparently the previous owner was into this, as there were some supplies with it.

Here's a picture of what I found in a cardboard box: Image

So, there's this 1/144 Eleshis model. It's resin(so says the sales receipt from '99), but I don't have any experience with resin, just plastic and a little metal with things like Warhammer and generic planes/ships. This thing is pretty ancient, but it's in good condition and I feel up to it this summer.

What is the usual way to prepare and put together resin models? I understand that rods like the ones that were with this are used, but I have no idea how to do this. I'd really appreciate help and patience for this mecha newbie. :D

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:59 am

For me, the first thing to do when building a resin kit is to wash the parts and to get rid of the lubricant that was used during casting. You can do this by dumping some dishwashing detergent into a container filled with warm/hot water. Let the parts soak for overnight and use a toothbrush to scrub them and rinse in water.

After triming the gates/flashes, you would then start with the assembly process, which involves pinning. This method will lets you assemble the kit and disassemble for painting. You'll need brass rods and pin-vise(hand drill).

After the parts are assembled, you'll have to take them apart to fixed imperfections. Since resin kits are made by hand, there are bound to be imperfections such as air bubbles or mold lines. You'll need to sand off the mold line and fill the air bubbles with putty.

Now come to painting. First, you can use the Mr.Surfacer you have. Spray it and see if you can still spot any imperfections. If not, then you're good to proceed with painting using the colors needed for the Eleshis.