MM vs SAV SR-1

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

Sheizzel

MM vs SAV SR-1

Post by Sheizzel » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:53 am

I thought maybe some of you would like to see how the two would match up against each other.

MM SR-1 is taller and slimmer than its SAV counterpart. The SAV SR-1's got more meat, and it took some time for me to get use to after looking at the MM SR-1 for so long. The new SR-1 is a cleaner sculpt than the MM. The way the parts are broken down will require less masking during painting, and therefore saving a lot of time.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:33 pm

As usual, progress is slow. Here goes some picture for those who are still curious with the detailing on this kit.

Let's start with the face. It's got those nice looking eyes that the MM left out.

Neck fibers, which were nonexistent on the MM. Since it is sculpted as a separate piece from the upper body, it makes painting easier. I had to chop off a huge chunk of it so the slightly modified face mask would fit in.

Here's the shoulder. Very different from the MM SR-1 in terms of detailing and assembly.

Shoulder armors.

Detailing in backside of the knee.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:35 am

The time has come for me to start painting. Since I'm still a newbie in painting, I started with the smaller parts. That way they would be easier to strip if I either mess up or don't like the colors.

Here's the face mask. I just need to apply red paint around the eye balls.

White was a tricky color for me to get it right. I spent quite a bit of time in mixing both the white and thinner to get the consistency that works for me.

The shoulder. The color appears to be a lot lighter than the actual color due to the lighting...

Here's the black base for the fatima cockpit. I'll have to do some testings to see if I should go with Alclad Chrome or just Silver. On top of either one will be clear pruple. At least that's what I have in mind in right.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:59 am

Would it be too much to ask for if you take photos of the MM of all those parts in conjunction w/ the SAV of the same part, taken at the same photo angle, so we can compare them side by side instead of reading your comments? I know your comment is accurate, but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:06 am

I wish you had asked me earlier. The MM SR-1 has been sitting in the box, while the parts of the SAV is on the floor in my living room. Some of the parts have masking tapes on it, while a few more are in the process of being painted. If I can remember I will try to take some photos of other parts to show differences between the two kits.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:09 am

Sorry, Happy. I didn't have the time to take pictures of the parts today.

Had another paint session today. Finally got to test out Alclad Chrome, which was fun. Now I see why a bottle of Alclad costs so much. I ended up spraying Mr.Color Silver and Alclad Chrome on spare resin trees so I can use them to test out the idea I have for the fatima cockpit.

The face mask is basically finished. I sprayed the red with an airbrush and hand painted the eyeballs with Tamiya Enamel Black.

Here's a piece on the back of the SR-1 with the purple I tested out today.

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:40 am

Nice pictures!

What make and model of camera do you shoot with?

-Jim

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:58 am

machine mess wrote: What make and model of camera do you shoot with?
It's an old 3.2MP Cybershot camera from Sony. The model number is DSC-P7.