quick kit questions

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

zchen

quick kit questions

Post by zchen » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:18 am

Is volk' AF Led Mirage Full equipment type worth getting? also does it come with the swords?

and how about volks' SSS Led Mirage Amaterasu?

thanks

sarion

Re: quick kit questions

Post by sarion » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:05 pm

zchen wrote:Is volk' AF Led Mirage Full equipment type worth getting? also does it come with the swords?

thanks
they are quite old kits now, if it's only recasts i would suggest going for WSC kits instead, if u do not want to spend a fortune on the clear armor versions.

provided of cos u dun have a preference between Volks/WSC

zchen

Post by zchen » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:50 pm

I have 2 original WSC leds and 1 recast, just looking to add something different to the collection. I'm asking about originals,
Since the AF Led is Ikushima's first Led, I want to take a crack at it. I can only find the flame launcher version for now. I don't know who did the SSS Led though....I thought I read somewhere that it's like a down sizing of the 1/35?

KOG

Re: quick kit questions

Post by KOG » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:30 pm

zchen wrote:Is volk' AF Led Mirage Full equipment type worth getting? also does it come with the swords?

thanks
Well, it just so happens that I've built both... so I can answer pretty well. :)

AF LED w/ Flame Unit is, of course, a free pose kit. Smallish like other old kits. Like the WSC kit, it uses decals for numerals and most of the mirage cross emblems. Overall proportion is pleasant enough. Some areas, like the inside surfaces of the skirts, or the inside of the ankle armor, have no detailing. Head contains a simple fatima cockpit, and you can build the head with one of the cockpit hatches open, if you want. In my copy of the kit, the head parts are all made of metal. One thing I don't like is the shield mounting. Unlike most LED kits, where the shield hooks onto one of the forearm fins... the AF LED eliminates one fin and the shield attaches straight to the forearm. This means the shield sits very close to the arm, and can interfere with posing of the kit. (bumps into the shoulder armor) It's a nice enough kit overall, but it's not superior to the WSC kit in any way.

As for the SSS LED Amaterasu... it's quite interesting. As you say, it does have some detailing borrowed from the 1/35. It's not an exact, scaled-down copy... but it does have a lot of the decorative features seen in the 1/35. The pose is rather nice. As with the AF, there really isn't any detailing inside the ankle armor or inside the skirts. The shoulder is also solid... not hollow at all. So you can't 'see inside' the shoulder at all. This area may strike you as a little crude. The shield is also all one piece.... pretty interesting in concept, but makes painting slightly tricky. As the claws are moulded together with the shield itself. They are sculpted in folded position, so there's no option to display the LED with claws extended. The AF LED does give you that option though. The SSS LED does have the funky, squiggly sculpted lines on the legs. I'm sure you know what I mean? The black lines that border the big red leg stripes. They are sculpted features, like the 1/35 and most modern LED kits. The AF LED doesn't have this... the lines are just flat features.

Are they worth getting? It's really up to you. As has been said, the WSC kits really are the best. But if you're looking for something vintage... something different... these kits can be fun. Both are about the same height, so they look alright together, if you get both. If you were to only get one, I'd go with SSS because of all the interesting detailing. Much easier to build, too.

Any other specific questions about them?

zchen

Post by zchen » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:03 pm

Thanks for the detailed info on both kits. :D
I think I'm leaning towards the SSS kit for now because it has a pretty attractive pose and some interesting details, too bad I just missed on one YJ auction that ended at Yen6500~(over slept and forgot to place bid :oops: ).

sarion

Post by sarion » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:18 pm

but u may grow to hate SSS kits in terms of the work u need to get the parts painted, esp. the amount of masking u need to do for airbrushing.
this is becos so many of the parts are cast in one piece, unlike normal Volks MM, AF or WSC kits which makes painting simpler (though assembly more pain)

KOG

Post by KOG » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:43 pm

sarion wrote:but u may grow to hate SSS kits in terms of the work u need to get the parts painted, esp. the amount of masking u need to do for airbrushing.
this is becos so many of the parts are cast in one piece, unlike normal Volks MM, AF or WSC kits which makes painting simpler (though assembly more pain)
It's definitely harder to paint a SSS.. but I think the ease of construction is worth it. SSS kits feel so solid and sturdy when they are completed.

sarion

Post by sarion » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:33 pm

haha i would actually think the other way round, i won't mind some more work on pinning and assembly, cos the masking of SSS kits always freaked me out (i did 4 and that's enuf already :P )

though MM series is another killer...........

KOG

Post by KOG » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:30 pm

zchen wrote:Thanks for the detailed info on both kits. :D
I think I'm leaning towards the SSS kit for now because it has a pretty attractive pose and some interesting details, too bad I just missed on one YJ auction that ended at Yen6500~(over slept and forgot to place bid :oops: ).
Here's another cheap SSS LED.

http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m28169804

KOG

Post by KOG » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:31 pm

sarion wrote:haha i would actually think the other way round, i won't mind some more work on pinning and assembly, cos the masking of SSS kits always freaked me out (i did 4 and that's enuf already :P )

though MM series is another killer...........
I mostly just spray large base colors, and do smaller areas and details by hand. And I don't really have a need to mask the stuff I do by hand. So the masking doesn't bother me much, really.

So far I've done SSS Cross Mirage, Apache, LED Amaterasu, Terror Mirage, and Junchoon First Sally.

Going to do SSS Blood Temple, Horned Mirage, Vai O La, and Schpeltor in the near future.

cobywan

Post by cobywan » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:09 am

I agree. For the MM Auge I did I only sprayed the silver and large gold areas. The rest was done by hand with enamels. I have been doing that with the SSS Cormals and Vai-o-la. It's really not that bad at all and the finnish can really come out nice.