Polycaps with recasts?

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

errol

Polycaps with recasts?

Post by errol » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:21 pm

Hello everyone, I recently ordered an Arcana Siren recast and upon inspection I noticed that it didn't come with the polycaps. Is this normal? I have other recasts and they came with the poly's. If anyone has any info it would bw helpful. Just wondering if I have the right to complain and request some. Yhanks in advance.

elemental

Post by elemental » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:27 pm

Recast kits usually come with polycaps, but they are horrible things that are practically useless. You might like to consider getting some aftermarket Wave polycaps. I think John was recommending these not too long ago, or maybe it was another brand (?)

Where did you get your model?

sarion

Post by sarion » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:20 pm

should be either WAVE or KOTOBUKIYA
but would u really wanna build it with polycaps?

i swear not to build another kit with polycap, after building my original VOLKS JUNCHOON Early Ver. MM.

the kit just tries to topple because of the large shield, maybe it will be better with the Arkanna but i will make all my other kits fixed posed.... :(

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:19 am

The Alkana is so huge it has trouble staying standing. I have an original that I almost completely assembled, and the original polycaps can't support the weight of the kit. This kit would be best treated by fixing the pose, but I seem to recall John or someone else mentioning this particular kit and substituting the volks polycaps with another brand, allowing it to hold a pose.

Volks polycaps can be fine with smaller kits. Tighten the joints by making the ball a bit larger (but not too large or you risk splitting the polycap). Quick way to make the ball larger: coat in super glue and dust with talcum powder. Works well. I used this method to stop my Engage SR1's shield arm from drooping.

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:20 am

elemental wrote: I used this method to stop my Engage SR1's shield arm from drooping.
I did a similar method on my SR1 (which I'll show soon), except in the place of the polycap, I captured the ABS ball in SSP-HG. Whilst it was drying, I positioned the arm into the desired pose I want, and now that arm is rock solid.

Nearly ready with that section of my WIP, so I'll show when it's done.

errol

Post by errol » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:42 pm

Thank you guys for you insight, it is very helpfull.
I got the kit from Hobbyfan.
I really planned on doing a fixed pose because of the shear size of the kit, I figured they wouldn't work. But I need something to fill the gaps from the poly's and just planned on glueing them. Is this not a good idea?
I also didn't want to spend more money to have poly's shipped to my house when I should of got the on the first place. Shipping probly cost more than the poly's for me in the Mid-West.
Thank you guys for your tips also, very helpfull. And thank you Jinnai for your WIP pics, they provide me with inspiration.
I've been pinning a V-Siren Neptune but havn't posted any pics because I won't be able to paint it for a while, I'm in between houses. Would any body be interseted in seeing them?

sarion

Post by sarion » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:37 pm

fill the gaps up with polyester putty then pin them, i guess that will be quite easy to fix.
at least that's my plan for my MM kits.......