WSC Gastness-Finished!

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

Vincent Valentine

Post by Vincent Valentine » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:39 pm

I don't want to see WSC and Volks playing tag with each other as they have done in years past... but knowing Volks, they won't be sitting pretty for too long as WSC releases new designs.

It seems as though Volks is very burned out on FSS - they seemed to have heavily concentrated on making Fatima kits for a short while after the Red Phantom.. and well, are probably on some kind of break.

I'm sure that the FSS market is rather small, and at times, cultic. People are more into the A-Brand type H-Game character kits, or the Super Robot (etc) mecha resins.

While I am happy that Ikushima is no longer content on mimicing Volks, and that WSC is going forward from design to design, the WSC style has always bothered me. While this is acceptable on a few kits (Junchoon LED Mirage), this style is far too outdated for the more organic and complex forms of the newer Nagano artstyle.

I recall many moons ago when Henry Lo mentioned that WSC is using rounded forms in order to extend the life of their moulds. I too, am starting to see this insurgeance of rounded shapes and slopes. While the principle of saving RTV does not at all bother me, the introduction of a rounded Empress of Flames style torso for the Gastness does, for instance, bother me.

Elemental is right though - I can be a big critic when it comes to FSS releases. It's very hard to make me happy - although we know that has happened quite a few times and Volks seems to have my loyalty for that.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:12 am

Finally got my HJ.

And here's a Groon from a reader. Modded from Volks Vatshu

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:55 am

elemental wrote:What happened to that talk of a Volks Luminous Mirage?
It seems like we'll have to wait a while before we get to see this kit from Hirai...

The latest issue of the "Toys" magazines has another article talking about Hirai building the prototype, and difficulties he may have from doing so.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:55 am

jinnai wrote:
There's a link on the volks website regarding new kits for 2006..
haven't seen your post in christmas, I thought you lay low due to those riots. :D What's the latest anyway?
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:01 am

Sheizzel, that's a ugly mod.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

when you buy a pet:

Adopt a pet

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:09 am

First site to complete WSC Gastness?

http://www.geocities.jp/neofactory777/gasu.htm

Henry

Post by Henry » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Vincent Valentine wrote:I recall many moons ago when Henry Lo mentioned that WSC is using rounded forms in order to extend the life of their moulds. I too, am starting to see this insurgeance of rounded shapes and slopes. While the principle of saving RTV does not at all bother me, the introduction of a rounded Empress of Flames style torso for the Gastness does, for instance, bother me.
Arr. Not quite quoting me right on that. Round or edgy should not make that much difference on their moulds. But there used to be a lot more thin thin parts and curve inwards, like so _()_ , using the elastic nature of the mould to the most to create the feeling of depth. Now, the edges are thick and nothing causes too much trouble to pull the mould away from. But everything becomes a bit like toy because of that too. It started when he did the Jagd mirage. Ashura temple is even more obvious, to inexcusable, compared to the old one.
Newly, he introduced a more complex stlyle of lines. Very noticable on the ashura too. It is a matter of taste if you like it. I have the chance of seeing both versions put side by side in my trip to HK. THe person who went with me commends the old one is still better because the round shape, less lines are more suited to the round, heavy form of ashura.
however, all in all, his work is still very good. Just I feel that they are not quite comparing to the old times...

KOG

Post by KOG » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:43 pm

I won't be too sorry to see the end of ultra-thin parts. These often come out poorly cast, leading to lots of headaches...

The old WSC Bang Doll was a great example of this, where you have dangerously thin areas around the knee armor, skirts, and even the shield... and this is in an ORIGINAL kit.

Hm... I still don't see the advantage of AF ashura. I look at pics of the kit's parts, and it just doesn't look appealing. There may be some advantages in sculpting technique, but newer WSC version still seems to win when it comes to detail. In particular, the back of the shield... it looks QUITE plain in AF version. But richly detailed in WSC version.

The bottoms of the feet also look quite good in in WSC version, but simpler in AF.

Is there someplace where we can see side by side comparisons of the parts?

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:23 am

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:46 am

See, I know Yoda will finish first, now that he has no more film to do.

when you buy a pet:

Adopt a pet

elemental

Post by elemental » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:01 pm

You actually made me laugh with that one, Happy. :)

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:45 pm

It would have been funnier if Yoda had been the first one to finished it, but he's not, lol...

elemental

Post by elemental » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:33 am

I know some of you check a certain model kit retailer's site [cough*hlj*cough] DAILY if not TWICE DAILY (and hey, that's more frequent than certain bodily functions), so this probably isn't news to anyone who actually cares... but... WSC Gastness is now slated for an April release.

Hmmm... Another delay from WSC... big surprise that one... I'm thinking when they wrote "april", they actually mis-spelled "august". :?

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Thu May 04, 2006 9:18 pm

Golden Week really screwed the delivery on this package.. mine came yesterday.

I'll get parts pictures taken later. On original inspection, the head (which is cast as a one solid piece affair wrapped in bubblewrap) had the very tip snap off during shipping. Thankfully the part is still in the bubblewrap.

So already a repair job is needed...

This makes my 3rd WSC kit, but 1st original WSC.. makes me want to ditch the G-Sys Twin Tower now..

KOG

Post by KOG » Thu May 04, 2006 10:41 pm

Hah, so you got one of these too? For some reason I thought you didn't like buying WSC stuff...

Anyways, I got mine about a week ago from HLJ. Pretty pleased with it. After hearing about your broken part, I'm feeling pretty thankful that my head part is intact.

I was going to try to take some parts photos too, but it sounds like you'll beat me to it. Foot detail is not super exciting eh? But some areas are pretty nice, like the waist.

Will we be seing you build this soon?

I also got my Flamberge from Celga last week, and surprisingly, I'm actually a bit more impressed with that. My expectations were a bit low, but it turned out to be quite a nice kit after all. Very nice underfoot detailing (not as crazy as something like Luminous of course, but still better than what we normally see from WSC), and the knee joint detail was actually quite nice too. Some have suggested that the Flamberge might be a subpar WSC offering, but I'll definitely disagree after looking at my copy. Should look VERY nice next to WSC ashura.

So jinnai... if you DO sell that GSYS Twin Tower... give me a heads up. :P