Question to modelers

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

hitori

Question to modelers

Post by hitori » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:37 pm

A Japanese (or Korean) modeling club has produced this Bang Doll number plate as a gift to its members.
This is from the first Traffics episode of Five Star Stories where the MH Garage owner discovers the true identity of Muse van Rayback.

From what I hear, it is made out of metal with etched logo.
Raised edges are stamped and the bolts are also stamped decoration.
I really want one. :(

How costly would it be have it produced?
Or do you have ideas on how I may make one.
I know how to do chemical etching like how one would make a PCB.
But you can't make a deep etching with that technique.

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:16 pm

Hi Hitori.

Indeed, chem etching wouldn't give you the depth you might want for that item. My suggestion would be to have someone sculpt a pattern that could be used to produced a black rubber mold and then cast it in pewter (white metal.)

From there, you can have it polished and/or nickel-plated, and epoxy paints can be used to fill-in the red dancing doll. I occasionally have metal casting work farmed-out to a local caster, but this would most likely be cost-prohibitive if you just want to have one made... Quite literally hundreds of dollars.

As an alternative, you could have someone machine-scribe the design into a brass or aluminium plate as a one-off. Perhaps a local engraver could offer that service.
John F. Moscato

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:52 am

hitori, are you sure it's metal not resin? because that is from the 1998 show, and I bought the bang doll energy sword from that same batch of items. My sword is resin, it's too light, it doesn't have the feel of a sword.

Of course, that doesn't mean your plate is resin, just want you to double check, because if it's resin, it's too light and doesn't feel right.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

hitori

Post by hitori » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:08 pm

Thanks guys! :D

happy hopping: I heard it is metal, but I don't know for certain what material it is as I have not seen it personally.