AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH !!!

Trades, Sales and Exchanges of FSS Items

Moderator: kosh

Falk

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH !!!

Post by Falk » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:12 pm

Sorry to create this dumb topic, but I need to talk about what just happened, cuz' right now I'm REALLY ANGRYYYYYYYYY !!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

There was a pack of 6 FSS books on ebay, for 30$ !
I bid on it a few days ago, and watched the auction carefully.
Particularly at the end, and I was right, cuz' a few minutes before the end, someone bid on it, so I bid again something like 3 minutes before the end of the auction, and was hitting F5 again and again to see if the %$/!XD%$ bid again or not, and like what, 7 seconds ? before the end, the guy bid again !
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH !!!
*need to break somethin', need to kill someone*
*need to... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH !!!
Look at that, can you believe it ?
Bid amount..........bid date
29,99 USD...........25-sept.-04 00:28:26 Paris (by me)
30,99 USD...........26-sept.-04 19:23:00 Paris (by the guy)
31,99 USD...........26-sept.-04 19:27:56 Paris (by me)
32,99 USD...........26-sept.-04 19:30:35 Paris (by the guy)
End of the auction : 19:30:42

It's not fair ! It's not fair ! It's not fair ! It's not fair ! :evil: :evil: :evil:

It's so hard for me living in french to put my hands on those books, no store have it, amazon.fr don't have any in stock, it took 2 months to get a book one time, I have to buy it from amazon us or ca and it costs me a LOT in P&P, and now, just a perfect occasion to buy some books, someone steals MY auction ! :x :x :x

*jumps out by the window*
:cry: :cry: :cry: :x :( :? :cry: :cry: :evil: :cry:
That's all I can say :p
Wow, i hope it's not one of you :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I'm gonna contact the guy to now if he's not ready to let it go anyway :cry: :cry: :cry:

I need something to help heal the pain XD
*drinks and drinks and drinks even more*

And also notice that this is the second time I write that cuz' the first time I miss the right shortcut and closed the page XD
Everything's wrong tonight, well it could be worse yeah, but no ! :x

:D :D :wink:

Falk

Post by Falk » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:33 pm

Well, I think there's no hope, the guy already bought some anime stuff so if he buys some FSS books, I guess he really wants it :evil: :evil: :evil: .
And I should not contact him as ebay doesn't allows ebayers to contacts others ebayers to talk about buying or selling something out off ebay, so if he signals ebay I contacted him, I may lose some ebay features...

It wasa books 10 to 15 and I JUST needed books 10 to 15 as book 9 is meant to arrive at home soon ! :x :x :x

*still drinking to forget*

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:43 am

Hey, I feel for you Neighbor, its rough being a fan in Europe, Switzerland is in the same boat as France, very few places carry any manga whatsoever, and when they do most of the time its DBZ, or something similar. Also the place near me that does carry alot of Manga no longer sells English manga, so I gotta make due with german translations and my german sux.

I hate the high shipping cost from the US, sometimes it seems ridiculously high, like they know we don't have much choice but to pay their price, so they Jack it up( I Know thats not the case, but it does seem like highway robbery sometimes)

Austria seems to have better luck than we do, I was on vacation there in August and I looked up all the anime/Manga shops in Austria, and there are a helluva alot of them there. I found a really nice one in Vienna, that had all sorts of cool stuff there, grabbed myself Appleseed vol. 1 & 4, and Intron Depot 2: Blades. Too Bad I didn't notice any FSS books, I only have Vol. 1 so far, and I really want to get more of it

Falk

Post by Falk » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:34 pm

Hey hey thanks for your support^^

In fact it's much the fact that there is not much mangas in store, it's that there is no FSS ! :wink: (I don't buy so much manga, in fact I'm really pernickety about the drawing style when it comes to buy manga/comics, and so I won't buy a manga if I dislike the styel a bit, and I won't buy/read it unless someone tells me this really is a great story, for instance I remember I took BLAME! volume 1, watch it a bit, and said myself "yeah, mmh, no..." then I read it at a friend, and it's simply one of the best manga I've read (along with FSS of course^^), such a big impression of being lost in this weird city)

France is meant to be the second country which buys the more manga, I don't know about the big cities, but my city (Belfort) is not that big, so there are not many. I couldn't even find Gantz, there's only the usual stuff as you said, a lot of DBZ, GTO, etcetc...

The problem with FSS is not only that it's hard to find in english, but it looks like only Diamond and Kinokuniya stores can sell it (well exept the online stores), but even the stores in Paris get the japanese verion, not the english one :/.

About the shipping costs from the US, I wonder. WHen I buy from HLJ, it's really cheap (I bought an 1/24 tamiya skyline, the kit + P&P was cheaper than the kit in stores in France :roll: :wink: ), I recently bought at amazon.ca 3 FSS books, and it costs me 26 canadian $ for P&P (20US$, 16,5€), more than a third of the whole package, I find that quite expensive.

Mmh I see you live in Thun, but you say your german isn't that good, what's the language in Thun ? The schweiz-dutch or something like that ? (or maybe you're from an english country but live in Swiss ?)

(Edit 1 : I can't even spell my city's name right ^^ Edit 2 : typos^^)
Last edited by Falk on Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:48 pm

its good to know I'm not the only one suffering over here ;) .

In Thun, they speak swiss german, and I have learned some german, but the difference between dialects is pretty major if you ask me. I'm from the US, I moved here a few years ago.

I don't mind german translations too much, its just that it takes me a long time to read one volume because I still don't have the hang of this language yet.

from what I have seen at the local manga shop here, France doesn't translate as much manga as Germany and Austria, the german manga section is huge, and the french section is so small if you blinked while looking for it, you would miss it. I don't know how it is in France though, Maybe its just in my area.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:13 pm

I lived in Lausanne, Switzerland for about 2 and a half years. I eventually found one small shop downtown that imported some Japanese stuff but the selection wasn't great. I only bought online during that time.

I'm in the U.S. now and I've learned to appreciate the lower shipping costs I can enjoy here.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:37 am

I have lived here for over 3 years and I have never been to Lausanne, My wife never wants to go to that part of the country and I can never understand why.

Shipping inside the US is never a problem, especially since alot of good shops offer free shipping within the the US, I would send stuff to my parents and have them send it to me, but they never remember to send stuff when they have the time, so it usually takes about a year to get anything from them.

Falk

Post by Falk » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:17 pm

Ah ? Weird, Lausanne looks nice, just near the "Lake Geneva" (oh, it's called "Geneva lake", not "Leman lake" in english says my dictionnary, on second thought, we use both names in french "Lac Leman" & "Lac de Genève"), just in front of the Alps (well even if the Alps run more or less across the whole country), there must be a nice view, and I think it's the french part of Swiss, so if there's a place I would go in Swiss, this would be somewhere there first. :)

And about shipping yup', amazon.fr also offers free shipping inside France if you buy for more than 20€, as an FSS book is about 9,98€, it's just a good reason to buy one more :wink: (but as they have no stocks anymore...)
But other than that, the P&P are really expensive. This auction I missed was about 6 FSS books, and I mailed the shop to have a shipping evaluation, they replied it would be 20US$, this is exactly the same price than my order to amazon.ca, but for only 3 books :? .

Concerning the manga section, well I don't have official numbers or whatever but I think it grew up quite well those last years, and finally, one anime is on one of the major channel again (GTO).
If you don't know about what happened with anime in France, well a few years ago there was a TV program that broadcasted mostly anime.
The program was crap but at least we had anime, I can't remember the names of many, whether in french or english, but anime like orange road, some shojo with volley ball, but also DBZ, and a few "inhibited" family association claimed it was too violent for childrens, so the program disappeared and anime where sort of "baned" from french TV. Now that's great :roll: there are only computer-made-3fps-bad-designed-poor story-ugly-voices-crappy animes that surely make the children way dumber than DBZ could have made them violent, if it ever made soem children violent. Well in a sens, they were not that wrong as from what I know, DBZ in japan is considered a shonen and as such may not be broadcasted to young childrens, but that's just the way it happened, suddenly anime were considered as "evil" :p and had to disappear.

Well all that to say that japanimation/manga continued to grow "underground" during this period (hence the problems there have been with fansub), and pop-up again quite well those last years in France. Just that exept the Fnac (a sort of Virgin store), there are no manga shops in my city, it's not big enough, so there's no chance to find imported manga, only the french editions (and of course no goodies).

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:15 pm

I know where Lausanne is, Its just that I have never been there. I have been to Geneva though, but it was on a sunday so there wasn't much to do. That something that I have always had trouble with while living in Europe, the whole country basically shuts down on sundays. Its not just here, but Germany, Austria, and everywhere else I have been too, I guess its hard because in the US, businesses are still open on sunday, its just strange for me to see everything closed.

I see, it seems no matter where you live Anime gets a bad rep. It was like that in the US too in the begining, some people still believe that anime is the root of all evil in the States, but its still going strong. Switzerland was the same way (Sort of still is) My Wife says they only showed one anime series that she can rememeber called Captain Future, and parents and religious groups said it was evil and they got it taken off the air. Some german stations show anime, so its not like we are totally without anime.

I know a guy who holds an event called Planet Anime, where they rent a small movie theater for the day and show 3 or 4 anime films or OVAs on the big screen, But he only does this about 2 or 3 times a year, and its always in a different city. Sometimes its hard to find the theater because they are usually obscure little holes in the wall. My wife and I had a hell of a time finding the last one, we were very tired because we had just gotten back from Austria that morning and we didn't get much sleep on the train, so we were pretty dead by the end of the event ( we had to go, we already booked our seats).

Anyway, I have a question for you, Do they still show Captain Harlock ( you might know him as Albatore) in France? I heard that he was pretty well known over there.

Falk

Post by Falk » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:38 pm

Daishikaze wrote:I know where Lausanne is
Oh yeah of course, I wasn't meaning you don't know where it is, it was just a sort of "postcard" of the place^^

Ah so stores don't close on sunday in the US ? I didn't knew that (I never travelled further than Austria :wink: :/). I don't like sunday neither, everything looks so dead :|

Captain Future ? Mmh I thin it's called "Capitaine Flam" in french, I've never seen it, but it was quite notorious. It was just a few years before I started watching animes (I started with Goldorak :twisted: I think it's a bit the reason why I'm into MHs now^^). But with what I know about this anime, it was mostly a guy with a few super power fighting some aliens to protect humans, I hardly see what can be evil, well of course they could come in peace and get along well with each other, but they didn't :p

About Captain Harlock, yes, it's called Albator in french, I think the program I was talking about broadcasted it, I've seen a few episodes but I never sawx it in it's entirely.
Like Goldorak it's a bit older than the "DBZ generation", so both (and as well as capitain flam) are more considered as "classics" than the other anime and were not really considered as evil. A lot of those "classics" have french dubbing, so they were amongst the first anime to be published in whole package, and they sell well cuz' all the old fans who grew up wanted to see it again.
Maybe Captain Harlock was broadcasted again not so long ago on "the good french channel" (I mean the one with mostly documentaries, and that tries to find good programs, not the reality TV and things like that, they broadcast an anime from time to time, like Captain Tsusaba, Hamtaro...)
What I mostly remember is his awesome spaceship, the Arcadia (called Atlantis in french), an awesome, unique design^^.

(Oh and I just inform that I won't have much time to come on the net in the upcoming few days^^)

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:54 pm

Captain Future is one of the few Anime series that my wife likes, she wants me to see it ,but she doesn't want to buy it to show it to me haha.

Harlock is one of my favorite charactors of all time, and the Arcadia is an awesome ship,truely a classic.

Goldarak is UFO Robot Grendizer right? I grew up watching that and alot of other Go Nagai super robot shows when they used to show them in the US(a very long time ago now) That was my favorite one next to Gaiking. This is the first forum where I have seen these shows appreciated for what they are, and no one bitching about how old they are.

Altron

Post by Altron » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:27 pm

Daishikaze wrote:I have lived here for over 3 years and I have never been to Lausanne, My wife never wants to go to that part of the country and I can never understand why.
Better women.

Maybe?

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:13 pm

Not a chance! My Frau is perfect:)

No, the reason she won't go to the french area is because she's afraid she will have to speak french, and she says her french is so bad that they never understand what she tries to say. She also tells me that some Swiss-french dislike Swiss-germans, so she's afraid that she might get attacked or something. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. But she sure was quiet when we went to Geneva, I had to talk for her when we were there( In Geneva, almost everyone speaks english), because I don't have a german accent.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:13 pm

http://offer.aol.ebay.com/ws3/eBayISAPI ... 2271257498

must be this bid. But FSS comic books is everywhere in ebay. What's the big deal?

If you missed this one, buy the next one. They are listed at around $8-$9 or so.

If you want to save $$ on shipping, why not use surface mail? I did it from Japan, and no problem there. It's a book, it can't get damage.

By the way, where's Belfort? Is it further down south in the Guscony area, or further up near Paris?

Falk

Post by Falk » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:30 pm

Yup', this is this bid.
FSS books are often on ebay but not at such a cheap price. 9,98$US is the regular price, at 30$ 6 books, it was half the price, and only 20$ for shipment is half the price from amazon. Well, the store auctions 4 books this time, I buy it now, it's not as interesting as if I waited the end of the auction, but this time I don't want to miss it :p
Surface mail, mmh :? I'm not as enthusiast as you about the package, when I got SmokeWalls from HLJ (by airmail or something like that), a corner of the book was slightly damaged (really slightly, nothing wrong at all, but this proves it can easily get damaged if they don't protect it with something at each corner, which they don't :wink: ).

Belfort is in the (north-)east of France, near Swiss (+- 40kms), and Alsace area.

And about Goldorak yup', his original name is Grendizer. In France he's well known (well he's the only Go-Nagai's robot we've seen on TV), to the point there exists a "goldorak generation", all those who grew up watching the anime^^.