Number of Forums

Your thoughts on this site and message board

Moderator: kosh

Altron

Number of Forums

Post by Altron » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:25 pm

The number of forums on this message board is scary. My finger gets tired, just scrolling from the top to the bottom of the board!

Maybe sub-forums or child-forums are what we need here, to minimize the amount of space to scroll. Or you could just delete the forums we don't use that often, and make more general forums to encompass more.

Or not.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:06 am

Thanks for the feedback. I'll consider that and listen to what other people say.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Falk

Post by Falk » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:31 pm

Yup' I agree, though I don't really see how to drop the number in the main sections.

But for the link section for instance you may compact everything into one forum, and as k the users to do somethign like :
[MECHA] blablablah
[SCIENCE] blibliblih
[MECHA] bloblobloh
[S-F] bleblebleh
[OTHER] blublubluh
And so on for each link

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:12 pm

I've removed 3 forums to make it a little easier for you guys. I knocked out Games>Battletech and Links>Sci-Fi and Science.

Falk

Post by Falk » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:19 pm

Yo' Tachyon,

I was looking at the different forums and thought maybe some more cleaning could be done.

The whole "mecha" forums (super hero mecha, small mecha and real mecha) aren't much used. So maybe the content of those forums could merge with some of the "series" forums.
Most of it could fit in "other series".
Overall the "series" forums could then be renamed the "mechas" forums (still with gundam, SRW, macross (though not much used) and other series renamed as "other mechas").

The "links" sections don't have much topics, as well as the mecha section.
The "other link"s has only 17 topics (mostly technology related), so most of it could go to the chatter section.
The "mecha links" content may mostly fit in the "other series".

Also I was thinking a new forum template could bring a breath of fresh air to the messageboard. I find it a bit too grey around here :wink:
There's one (quite used I think) that looks nice and "light", the "Alexis" template, it doesn't really fit the website colros but IMO it's not really a problem :
http://www.phpbb.com/styles/forum/index.php?style=340
it exists in several colors, but changing the main colors and header should not be that difficult if needed.
(and it looks like there's a 2nd version, not sure what the changes are, maybe some coding stuff :
http://www.andrewcharron.com/alexis/ )

Well that's just some suggestions if you have the time available, I know it may take some time to sort that^^

(oh, and the amazon.com newsletter suggests me to preorder Blame! 07 in English, I have the French edition since a few years now so I'm not that interested, but you may :wink: )

edit : typo è_é
Last edited by Falk on Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:12 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I'll process that this weekend.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:40 pm

I realized today as I was driving that I hadn't properly replied to this yet.
The whole "mecha" forums (super hero mecha, small mecha and real mecha) aren't much used. So maybe the content of those forums could merge with some of the "series" forums.
The forums were laid out in such a way to facilitate discussions for a large community. Gears Online's forums don't have a large community at this point but I would like to have the structure in place in case things grow. That being said, I think the Series header could be removed and lump things into Mecha. I'm now considering replacing Small Mecha with General Mecha.
The "links" sections don't have much topics, as well as the mecha section.
That's a good point. I'll remove the Other Links forum. Most of its posts can be dropped into Real Mecha and the rest into Mecha Links. I want to keep the Mecha Links forum as that is where I want people to put posts that are specifically for the purpose of sharing a URL or promoting a new anime fan site.

As for the new forum template, there's a setting I can change that would allow people to choose between multiple forum styles. When I find time in the near future I should create one or two new forum styles for people to use if they want. The current style is pretty dark but I thought that would help reduce eye strain for people reading long posts.

Thanks for your suggestions!