Quick Poll - What Do People Generally Want To See?

Your thoughts on this site and message board

Moderator: kosh

What Do People Generally Want To See?

I want more classic stuff.
100%
I want to see more new stuff.
No votes
I don't care. I just want to see more mecha.
No votes
This is a dumb question.
No votes

Total votes: 7

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quick Poll - What Do People Generally Want To See?

Post by Tachyon » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:18 am

I was just wondering what the general mood is here.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:24 am

For me, the '80 was golden age of mecha anime. :D
Justice will never lose!

Falk

Post by Falk » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:50 pm

Mmh, I don't really know. I try to be open minded but there's simply some designs that work for me, and a lot that don't, either old or new.

For instance concerning Gundam, I like some of those that don't look like the basic gundam (which means "not that many" : S, Ex-S, Bst, Deepstriker, Zeta Plus Bst, FAZZ, Xeku-Zwei, Mark V, some MSV (mostly when "full armor" is part of the MSV name :twisted: ), Hi-Nu is ok, Sazabi, Nightingale...), recently I also fell in love with the ZII, which -though not perfect- has more mortarheadd in it than any other gundam :wink: ( http://www.dm123.cn/ecms/dmzb/GUNDAM/20 ... 3/206.html ).
Sadly, those are mostly MSV, with just a few (if not only one) artwork, and no background. I was "studying" the deepstriker, and though it looks great, it doesn't look that practical... No wonder why it has only ever been just a blueprint...

In recent anime I don't feel like there's much to talk about. Maybe Eureka 7 ? I don't know, I still have to watch it.
I'm more interested in some video game mechas, like Virtual On, with about 4 or 5 games there's some material to scan (and some great artbooks), but I'm not sure there's much background.
Same for Steel Batallion, someone posted a lot of those nice and clean design in the chatter section (sorry, can't remember the pseudo), those designs are part of "Mechanical Divinities" I think, which looks like a nice book, but once again there may not be that much background.
And same goes for Armored Core.

Overall I feel like recent animes stick to one (or just a few) mechas, with some rest of Eva (either for design (sometimes a bit organic-like, with shiny colors) or background (rare mecha that'll save the earth or whatever...), while video games have more designs (or at least more variations) but a poor (not so developped) background.

Then there's the more obscure ones (at least to me^^), like Rune Masquer.

Area88

Post by Area88 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:59 pm

Kuruni wrote:For me, the '80 was golden age of mecha anime. :D
Same here, in terms of quanity and quality 80's is unbeatable.

I'd like to see more 80's anime on this website with more images.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:37 pm

I have more material from the 80's than I do from the 90's (and very little for the 00's). In terms of 90's anime I could do Nadesico and Getter Robo Armageddon. I haven't had much time to visit mecha Web sites lately. Is new mecha material being covered elsewhere? Maybe doing 80's mecha material is more of a service to the online community.

Falk, Katoki Hajime is touching up the ZII design lately. They may be putting out a model kit of it. I've been thinking of doing a Gundam MSV section here at Gears Online. Most of them don't even need profiles because they haven't appeared anywhere. There are lots of fun designs that never make it past the MSV area of fandom.

I may do another poll to decide the next section for Gears Online. I could do a number of 80's shows. L-Gaim, Patlabor, Votoms, Vifam, Dragonar, Gundam MSV, Char's Counterattack... The list goes on. :D

kosh

Post by kosh » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:17 pm

I like the classic stuff, but there's alot from the '90s I like too. Getter:Armageddon is a good subject, I'm a sucker for a good super robo. There's also quite a few short OVAs that would make good subjects, I'm very fond of the three Iczer OVAs and Innocent Venus. Blue Gender hasn't recieved the treatment it deserves, although good info and images are hard to find.All told I like a mix of stuff irregardless of the era, if it's good it's good and that's what counts.
Do you understand?

Newton

Post by Newton » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:20 pm

I like the focus on mecha from the 1980s. As Kuruni said, it was the golden age of mecha.

That said, we're entering a second Golden Age now. A lot of the Japanese viewing audience has aged to the point where mecha shows are making a comeback. The second Galaxy Railways show is on now, and sports some really cool train designs. Souko no STRAIN has some of the most exotic mech designs I've seen in awhile, with the promise of more to come. Demonbane has some slammin' mech work, and at only 12 episodes makes a nice, compact story.

It also appears that the Universal Century is returning. MS igLoo is chock full of both new designs and redesigns of previously existing mecha. Add to this the Dengeki Hobby MSVs, and there's a boatload of new stuff to be put up on Gears.

Which reminds me - anybody know of anyone looking for Web artists? I need a job so I can start scoring design books again. Somebody's got to keep an eyeball out on the '00s mecha designs and buy the books as they come out...^_^

Newton

Post by Newton » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:22 pm

Oh, and one more thing: ninjascience is going berserk putting up images. I am impressed by the number of sources this guy has. Perhaps we should consider an alliance of sorts?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:49 pm

Thanks, Newton. This is the kind of stuff I need. First, to have people tell me when new mecha artbooks come out and secondly, what's happening on the Web. I have 2 young boys and a wife constantly pulling me into her charity work. I just can't take time to look around and keep up with what's going on.

I've talked with the person running Ninjascience (can't remember his name right now). We're on friendly terms. I should talk to him in January when I have more time.

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:46 am

I remember AmuroNT1 at MAHQ message board once submit very impressive images there, including obscure design from Blank of Three Years game. If we're going to have Nadesico section, I will contact him if we can use them. The guy doesn't join this forum, but he was site visitor.
Justice will never lose!

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:07 pm

I have a great fondness for the mechanical designs from Bubblegum Crisis (the original OVA series).

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:12 pm

I have a great fondness for the mechanical designs from Bubblegum Crisis
KOG, you're in luck. I have great materials for Bubblegum Crisis, Crash and 2040. Scanner copies are standing by - I even have the OAV episodes on DVD for reference. I'd be happy to dive into that project but I might want to bag Blassty first. I've liked Blassty for a long time and I just don't see it covered well online. Bubblegum Crisis is covered pretty well online although I haven't yet seen really good coverage of the mecha. Sites usually go into detail on silly things like story, plot and characters. What are they thinking? :D

Poseidal

Post by Poseidal » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:06 am

80s mecha. No contest for me really.