Message From A Moderator

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Message From A Moderator

Post by Tachyon » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:52 pm

I'm writing this post to answer concerned private messages I've received today from 3 different people. A few discussion threads here on FSS Talk have been looking a little intense to people over the past few days. Some are concerned that a bad situation is building and people will get upset and leave if things continue this way. I've even had 2 requests to contact a few people privately and remind them that we're all friends here.

As a moderator here, I don't see any cause for alarm. People can seem to come on strong sometimes but that's because they care about accuracy and the stories and characters they've come to know so well. Friendly jokes and sharp wit can look like mocking and sarcasm to other people but no one is attacking anyone and I don't think we're going to see that kind of behavior here. As former U.S. president Theodore Roosevelt once said, "Use soft words and hard arguments." I think everyone here understands that point and I feel confident that all the current discussions will end on friendly terms. We're all adults and we all like Nagano's works.

This may be a good point to remind everyone that several people here use English as a 2nd language so let's be thoughtful of how we post. It would be a shame to make someone upset over a misunderstanding. Sometimes the same words look more harsh in print than when we hear them.

Ok, I've said my piece. Let the discussions continue!
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

hitori

Post by hitori » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:42 am

I feel entirely guilty.
What I've been posting lately probably sounded very uncompromising and sometimes condescending.

It's not at all my intension to lecture, but to be as informative as possible.
I wish people who also like this comic to not get mired in falseful information like Jacquos being Kaien's son or what not.

But I realize people like me or Rubel Colus may ruin the fun of piecing information together and speculating, just because we already know what the results are before readers of the English version do.

So from now, I'll step away from the discussion forum and kinda just hover.
If you would like to ask for verification or in depth information, I'll try to be helpful as much as I know.
But otherwise I will be less dictatorial and not intrude on fresh debates.
All answers will eventually be revealed as the story progresses anyways. :D

Thanks everyone.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:33 am

If that's what you think is best that's cool but it's worth mentioning that the people who contacted me wanted to make sure you continued posting.

They wanted to see everyone keep talking, just in ways that helped make sure no one got angry enough to leave the message board. Anyways, I'm not worried about it.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

elemental

Post by elemental » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:33 am

It would be a great loss to Gears if you stopped contributing, Hitori.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:16 am

hitori wrote:
So from now, I'll step away from the discussion forum and kinda just hover.
If you would like to ask for verification or in depth information, I'll try to be helpful as much as I know.
But otherwise I will be less dictatorial and not intrude on fresh debates.
there is no reason to stop. there is nothing wrong w/ a healthy debate, regardless it is heated or not. It's educational, I read that thread, I thought a lot of info mentioned in there is useful.

Besides, we have similar heated debate at waxtrax in the past, in the end of ea. debate, nothing happens.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

Newton

Post by Newton » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:31 am

Hitori:

Frankly, I value your position as a native speaker of Japanese. As such, you probably have a better command of the language than a translator for whom Japanese is a second language.

Keep going, Hitori. I really appreciate and value your input.

Sincerely,

Newton Ewell

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:09 am

Like what Tachyon said, we're all adults and we all like Nagano's works. I think one of the most interesting ways to enjoy his work is discussing them in a message board like Gears.

so hitori, i really hope u continue to post here. ;)
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

hitori

Post by hitori » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:20 pm

Thanks guys.
Guess I overreacted.
I am uncomfortably conscious about getting worked up about a comic book storyline.
FSS is a great title, but the day it ends can't come any sooner because I would finally be able to let it go.

What I said about me spoiling the fun of speculation was in earnest.
I think I'll will be less a active participant in a debate, but I'll be here.

BTW, I am not really a native speaker.
It's the first language I learned but I'm an English speaker now.
I need a Japanese dictionary and it takes considerable time to read if the material is brand new.
So please don't think I'm being stingy about something I can do so easily.

John Wisnom

My two cents worth

Post by John Wisnom » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:31 pm

I apologize for coming off as some hotshot who has all of the inside poop from the scoop [scoop from the poop?]...Just the opposite...I haven't got a clue (as you all are no doubt aware of) ...But if there were people with the kind of knowledge and insight (and interest most of all) that everyone in this forum exhibits supporting me throughout the translation work... with all this information and energy...the result wouldn't have seemed like the weak foul ball down the left field line it turned out to be.

To tell you the truth, I'm in awe of all you people...To the point of having let you down...The work would have been so much more enjoyable and rewarding (relevant?) if I could have linked up with y'all during the actual work. I wouldn't have written a line without your counsel. And we could have had a lot of fun.

The translator would have read "Gears Online"...I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Personally, I'm going to restrict my attention and few posts to Suezhou Rapsheet from now on...Fire away...Maybe I can clear up some points, maybe end up confusing the hell out you...Read it and weep goes both ways

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:32 am

Hey John.

Don't think for a second that you "let us down" because of a few translation hiccups. Without your work on the english version, I or anyone else for that matter, wouldn't be reading FSS in english at all.

Trust me, I appreciate your efforts in translating the manga far more than I lament your mistakes, and I'm 1000% certain I am not alone in that particular sentiment.
Shinei!

elemental

Post by elemental » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:18 am

I will second that sentiment. :)

errol

Post by errol » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:55 pm

John, you can hardly tell it from a good job. :) My grandpa used to say that to me all the time when I was a kid, used to drive me crazy. Seriously, you have done more for FSS being on this side of the globe than anyone on the planet. We all wouldn't be here if it weren't for your hard work. I believe you have helped make the comic more fun, with all the dynamics of all the charactors, what a task. Besides just translating you really understood all the different personalities. Maybe from this point on we can gel for future translations. Hopefully. Please don't limit your posting around here, we need you.
Also, Hitori, it would be a shame if you limited your posting. I think that you probly have over reacted. We all understand were you are coming from being such a passionate fan of FSS. We all love you for it. You have definetly posted some of the best information on Gears. It would be devastating if you guys weren't around as much. Sounds like I'm not the only one around here who feels this way.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:12 am

Exactly. And we had similar debate like that went on in Waxtrax back in those years. As long as it is not a personal attack like some of those kids forum in Gaia, there is nothing wrong w/ pointing out different pt. of view. It enlightens both sides in more aspect than one.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet