FSS Coverage Here at Gears Online

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

FSS Coverage Here at Gears Online

Post by Tachyon » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:28 pm

After talking with Nu Soard today I've decided to clarify our stance on the FSS pages here at Gears Online. Just so we're all on the same page, I'd like to let everyone know that the FSS pages are intended to be a "general purpose" fan site for FSS. We have a lot more mortar headd profiles than character/fatima profiles because I tend to be a nut for that stuff.

In the days ahead I will not try to emphasize any particular area of FSS over any other. Not long ago I posted a number of mortar headd images here on the message board. I was not trying to guide Nu Soard's choice of profiles to write but merely answering a fellow fan's request for images because I had some spare time. If I have the time, I don't mind scanning fatima or character images for requests.

Nu Soard will be talking with us here on the message board and making his own decisions about what to cover. I just received profiles for 11 Mirage Knights from him. I'm going to be busy scanning character images for a while. :D

While we're on the subject of FSS work, I'll let you know that before long I'll be posting fragments of a fictional interview with Chrome Ballanche's butler here on the message board for advice on how to best romanize certain names that appear in Japanese characters.

Thanks to everyone for the great discussions and insights on FSS. I hope the additions we have planned for the FSS pages prove interesting for you.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

hitori

Re: FSS Coverage Here at Gears Online

Post by hitori » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:58 pm

Tachyon wrote:While we're on the subject of FSS work, I'll let you know that before long I'll be posting fragments of a fictional interview with Chrome Ballanche's butler here on the message board for advice on how to best romanize certain names that appear in Japanese characters.
The Chatty Wood interview in Plastic Style?
That's an interesting choice...:D

Talos402000

Post by Talos402000 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:07 pm

Myself, I like the characters and the Tech, although I thought it's the characters that make the story. My favorite model I have built is KOG.

Canadian FSS Fan

Post by Canadian FSS Fan » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:13 pm

It all sounds great to me.

LaughingMan

Post by LaughingMan » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:27 am

My post is off topic. But I just want to take the opportunity to thank the owner/adminstrators of this website. It helps the many non Japanese literate people (like myself) to be able to appreciate this wonderful creation of Mr Nagano. Hats off as well to the owners/admins of the old WaxTrax/Heika website as well. I got to really learn "what the hell " FSS was all about prior to being able to buy the English manga from lurking around Waxtrax/Heika. I first became aware of FSS in the late 80s from seeing the VOLKS resin MH adverts in Fine Scale Modeller magazine and subsequently in Hobby Japan and Model Graphix. At the time, I thought the MH designs looked rather silly because they seemed overly fancy and delicate. I did not have internet access then to look things up.

My interest in FSS was really piqued about 5 years ago when i saw three really beautifully built MHs (there was a Bangdoll, Water Dragon and LED Mirage) at the IPMS model show in Vancouver. The owner had each kit stored inside a metal carrying case with foam lining. Since then I never seen that guy show up again at the local IPMS contest. I really wished he would come back to compete in the shows because I would love to take photos of his works. Sometimes, I really wonder if he one of the board members.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:52 pm

Well, what I would like to do, and it seems Tachyon is on the same page that I am, is to make a definative website in English devoted to FSS. Something that is currently missing from the web. Sure there are a few small sites (there's actually one pretty good one you can find on the Turnpike) but nothing for a FSS fan to get the information they crave.
A well-travelled message board is essential for that and I believe that Gears Online has provided that for us, in the absence of Wax Trax.

Ultimately I would like to have profiles for every MH, Character, Fatima and creature/god/spirit/being that has appeared in the FSS tale. A daunting task to be sure, but with everyone's help, its a task that we can accomplish.

I would also like to create a sort of "Lexicon" or FSS Encyclopedia for newbies. An explaination of the various aspects and terms used in Joker and the rest of the Nagano-verse. That will likely be the most difficult task, but again I believe that with everyone's help, we can achieve this goal.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has helped us by posting information and translation and by starting interesting discussion of topics that inspire others to post in kind. Most especially thanks to Hitori and Rubel Colus for their incredibly informative posts. Without those two, a lot of the MH profiles wouldn't be possible because a majority of that information remains untranslated.
And a special thanks to Mr. John Wisnom for all his hard work in translating the tale into english which has helped bring Nagano many more fans in the English speaking world. He has shown great patience in dealing with our "fandom" and has taken criticism in stride and maintained a good sense of humor throughout it all. Keep up the great work!
Shinei!