Re-read the entire series after each new issues come out?

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

LaughingMan

Re-read the entire series after each new issues come out?

Post by LaughingMan » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:15 pm

Do you guys ever re-read the entire series (from Volume 1) all over again after a new English volume comes out?

I find myself doing this every time because there is such a long lag between new English volumes coming out that i forget a fair bit of what happened previously and it also allows me to understand the significance of those brief moments whereby the story flashes to the past or future.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:42 pm

I'm waiting for my wife to take a day out of the house with our little one and then I'm going to sit down and read volumes 1 thru 10 in English. I've been needing to do that for a while but it's so hard to find the time.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

hitori

Post by hitori » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:17 pm

I don't.
There is just too much material to read in FSS.
Most likely Nagano and his editors don't remember everything nor do they try to.

That's why a place like this message board is great.
When someone points out your mistake, or when you read in a discussion somehting you haven't thought about in a while and go "Oh yeah...I remember now" that's a fun experience, too.

errol

Post by errol » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:07 pm

I do. I don't know if I really go all the way back to vol.1 though. But when I get a translated edition I definetly go back and freshen up before I read it. Which reminds me, does anyone know where to get the 2005 edition of vol.2 in english? For some reason i cannot find it. I ordered it from HLJ when it came out and they sent me japanese version. Useless to me but I forwarded it to my little cousin who is trying to learn Japanese. Hitori is definetly right, so much material. I love to read and really enjoy the art work, but I sure wish he would just create the FSS anime series. Maybe laziness but there is just so much to read and so little time. One last thing, John Wisnom PMed me and said that the translation process to english was suspended. That really sucked to find out. I have asked John to elaborate more on the subject with entire message board, but am just waiting to hear back. How cool is that? We have someone involved in the internal workings of FSS on the board. I'm sure we all appreciate his insight. On that note, someone else on the board put it best.

Starving.....
FSS.. Starving....
Need some..... FSS

hitori

Post by hitori » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:20 pm

errol wrote:...does anyone know where to get the 2005 edition of vol.2 in english? For some reason i cannot find it. I ordered it from HLJ when it came out and they sent me japanese version.
Sadly, no such thing as "Vol.2 2005 Edition in English" exists.

KOG

Post by KOG » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:37 pm

English translations... suspended? That SUCKS!!! But not entirely unexpected...

And errol, HLJ is an online shop that specializes in japanese goods, not translated versions of things... you can generally assume that most books and manga and magazines sold at HLJ are in japanese...

errol

Post by errol » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:14 pm

Thank you KOG, I realized that but if you go to thier web site even today and look at that item, in thier description it is listed as japanese(or english). I actually even e-mailed them to be clear that I wanted english and I still got the wrong one. Maybe it was a mistake in thier description. With our luck it probly never really was translated. I also ordered Factory 01-04 and never got it from them. They charged my card and claimed that they had shipped it and I never recieved it. It seems that it got shipped via PAL? I have ordered other model kits from them and never had a problem and figured it would have been shipped the same way. I went to PAL's website and there is no way to track or really figure out anything with your shipments. I also read that PAL, depending on customs, can take 3 months to recieve anything from them? Seems very inefficient and obviously inefective. I figured it probably got lost. But in the meantime, I'm screwed.
I usaually get all of new FSS books from a guy on Ebay who works at Kino in Cali. He seems to get the latest releases very fast and posts them on Ebay. I emailed him the other day and he has not responded. Maybe he is trying to track it down but I asked for something that doesn't exsist. I'm still hopeing John tells us his side of story about the translation mess.
Thank you also Hitori. I just cannot figure why it is not translated. The translations benefit everyone around the globe who speaks english, not just us in US. I mean how many other countries speak english even as a secondary language? It just seems like he is missing out on a whole lot of money. Unless of course he does not like money? I really don't know anything, I'm just a guy stuck in the rust belt trying to find some quality sci-fi and awsome robots. Thanks again to everyone for being so helpfull I really appreciate all the feedback from all of the seasoned FSS fans. I don't know what I would do without you guys.

hitori

Post by hitori » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:10 pm

The biggest problem with the English FSS is that it is just a vanity project of Nagano.
He is doing the English publication knowing that it won't make money or draw a large audience.
It's being published so that Nagano and ToysPress can say/brag that there is an English version.

If ToysPress really wanted to make money off of this, they should have advertised it.
They should have included it in the NewType USA.
I would have bought that stupid and useless magazine EVERY MONTH had FSS been serialized in it.

Instead, they pull themselves out of NewType USA, and market only though a single retailer (Kinokuniya) that's not even a nationwide chain.

I am surprised and grateful that ToysPress even decided to publish this relatively minor title in English and make it such a high quality product.
I love the large print and color pages that not even the original Japanese version can top.
But I just can't stand them refusing to agressively market it.

PS. about the vanity project thing, it's just my personal impression. :D

KOG

Post by KOG » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:23 pm

errol wrote:Thank you KOG, I realized that but if you go to thier web site even today and look at that item, in thier description it is listed as japanese(or english).
That's because it's a generic descriptor field used for ALL manga titles listed in their database. Browse their catalog a bit, and you'll see that all titles carry the japanese (or english) tag, even though most of the titles have never been translated into english at all. It's the same with other products as well. Check this one out:

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN934095

It's a set of waterslide decals, but the description reads:

"This item is an accessory or set of accessories for Gundam models. It requires both cement and painting to complete or use."

As you can see, HLJ uses a set of generic descriptions so they don't have to create a new, more specific description for every one of the thousands of items in their catalog. Overall, I would just disregard the HLJ descriptions and research product details elsewhere, as a general rule.

I actually even e-mailed them to be clear that I wanted english and I still got the wrong one. Maybe it was a mistake in thier description. With our luck it probly never really was translated.
As far as I know, it never was. FSS vol. 11 has never been translated into english yet, either, and the HLJ description lists THAT one as japanese (or english) as well. HLJ descriptions are definitely not item-specific. Instead, they are broad and category-specific.

I also ordered Factory 01-04 and never got it from them. They charged my card and claimed that they had shipped it and I never recieved it. It seems that it got shipped via PAL? I have ordered other model kits from them and never had a problem and figured it would have been shipped the same way. I went to PAL's website and there is no way to track or really figure out anything with your shipments. I also read that PAL, depending on customs, can take 3 months to recieve anything from them? Seems very inefficient and obviously inefective. I figured it probably got lost. But in the meantime, I'm screwed.
I have no idea what PAL is, since I've only ever had items shipped by SAL or EMS. I've had 2 shipments get lost, but in my experience, HLJ has been very nice about replacing the lost packages. At the time I contacted them, they said their policy was to wait 2 months after expected delivery time, just in case there was some kind of problem with the shipping service that would eventually work itself out. I went ahead and waited, and when my packages didn't show up, HLJ sent me replacements at no charge. If you want FAST shipping, and are prepared to pay for it, you should just select the EMS shipping option when you place your order...

I usaually get all of new FSS books from a guy on Ebay who works at Kino in Cali. He seems to get the latest releases very fast and posts them on Ebay. I emailed him the other day and he has not responded. Maybe he is trying to track it down but I asked for something that doesn't exsist. I'm still hopeing John tells us his side of story about the translation mess.
Which thing did you ask him to track down? The english version of FSS vol. 2 2005 edition? If so, he won't be able to get it, since as we mentioned, it does not yet exist... Guys at Kino may also have trouble finding the english editions that HAVE been published though... I live near 2 California Kinos, and neither stock much english FSS anymore.

It just seems like he is missing out on a whole lot of money. Unless of course he does not like money?
Actually, it has been said a time or two that Nagano does not indeed care THAT much about the money. That's why he hasn't cashed in with things like FSS video games, anime, and other merchandising opportunities. I suppose he must be somewhat well off and isn't overly concerned with amassing more money at this point... an enviable position to be in.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:57 pm

I re-read them all the time.

Its great becasue I'm always catching some little connection I missed before. Thats what I like about FSS...the details.

Whenever a new volume comes out, I usually read the entire chapter (book) all the way through a couple of times. Then at random times I will pick a story to read and read through all the volumes for that chapter.

I really hope they get back to translating volume 11 soon. I don't want Nagano to get too far ahead of the english volumes now that we've just about caught up...(and Jp Volume 12 is due at the end of the year?)
Shinei!

errol

Post by errol » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:53 pm

I just wanted to give an update. A couple of months ago I stated on a thread that I had not recieved my Factories book from HLJ. Well a couple of weeks later it arrived at my doorstep. It did take an unusually long time but I am sure that it was not HLJ's fault. I just wanted to clarify as to not discourage people from shopping there. I have had great experiences with them and plan to do more shopping with them. My order probably just got caught up in customs or something. Sorry for any misunderstandings.