MH Horsepower and running speed...

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

MH Horsepower and running speed...

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:53 pm

I was looking around on the web today and decided to look up a Horsepower to Miles per Hour conversion to determine exactly how fast a 150 ton Mortar Headd with a 1 trillion Horse Power engine could run. Now I know that current Horsepower to speed conversion wouldn't work right for Mortar Headds, because those converters are made for combustion engines designed to turn fuel into energy into Horse Power into Torque and that translates to a maximum speed based on the weight and streamlining of the vehicle in question. It is likely to work very differently with Mortar Headds, especially with the ability to re-route power to specific areas of the MH in various quantities to push its capabilities one way or another, but I thought it was an interesting thought nonetheless.

Apparently you take the Horse Power figure and multiply it by 33,000. This gives you a figure of how many ft/lbs (foot pounds) the engine is capable of pushing. Then you take this foot pounds figure and divide it by the weight of the vehicle in pounds. This figure will give you how many feet the vehicle can travel in one minute. Finally, you multiply the feet per minute figure by 0.0113636364 which will convert to miles per hour (so convoluted! we should just switch to Metric and be done with it!)

So lets take a 1 trillion HP basic MH like a Devonshire. So I am going to drop the 1 trillion figure to 1,000,000 because calculators don't like trillion figures. Multiply it by 33,000 and this gives us 33 billion. Divide 33 billion by the Devonshires weight (133 tons) in pounds (266,000lbs) and that comes out to 124060 feet per minute, which when multiplied by 0.0113636364 comes out to 1409.7 mph! But wait! We cut the initial HP figure from 1 trillion to 1 million (square root) for ease of math, so we need to multiply it by 1 million to get the correct number. This comes out to 1 billion, 409 million, 700 thousand miles per hour!

That's crazy!

The speed of light is 186300 miles per second. Multiplied by 60, that's 11178000 miles per minute or 670,680,000 miles per hour. So yes, a Mortar Headd can technically travel at the "speed of light"

Holy cow, Nagano is nuts.
Shinei!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Re: MH Horsepower and running speed...

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:10 pm

There is also a website I went to that had a very simple converter tool. You could plug in weight in pounds and the Horse Power figure and get MPH. The converter came up with a figure of 35,744.9 MPH, which seems more reasonable to me, but is still ridiculously fast for a 133 ton vehicle to run!

There's gotta be some missing equations here. I've tried to find figures on equating power figures to human muscle movement (the closest equivalent I can think of to MH movement) but came up with nothing. Perhaps we can come up with something using Hydraulic power figures...
Shinei!

levrin

Post by levrin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:24 pm

I prefer the "Nagano makes up numbers without thinking about them" explanation.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:23 am

levrin wrote:I prefer the "Nagano makes up numbers without thinking about them" explanation.
most likely this is the case :)
Shinei!