FSS scheduled for May 2013 Newtype

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Euhsung

Re: FSS scheduled for May 2013 Newtype

Post by Euhsung » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:46 pm

I thought the Kaizerin was a good 5-10 m taller than the Empress. I guess it somehow got shrunk (and changed genders?) during reconstruction. Additionally, I am conflicted on the laser light shows that the LED displays (I will admit, when I first saw the redesign I was half expecting it to be one of the 'Wedding designs' he puts on the back of the Design series).

Also, I finally figured out what was bugging me about the colouring used: Nagano employs a rather flat technique to his designs, like traditional cel colouring or 9801-era computer art. It makes for a weirdly nostalgic feel, it must be due to working on Gothicmade.

levrin

Post by levrin » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:39 pm

Trying to make sense of Nagano's inconsistent math is likely to drive you insane. Best to stop while you still can.

http://translate.google.com/#de/en/kaiserin

Edit: Apparently this issue of Newtype is running out so fast it's getting a second printing!

Dave Z

Post by Dave Z » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:28 pm

The FSS fans here in Detroit, and on the East Coast are in as much shock as everyone else over the retconning of FSS. I figured there was going to be some changes, its not like this is the 1st time Nagano has retconned FSS. However this is the biggest and most bizzarre retrocon I have seen.

The story moves along apparently unchanged, yet the unique terminology are almost all modified. The Mortar Headds are all now gone, and not just changed to be called GothicMades but have new names and designs as well. Characters and Nations seem to be the same still.

The biggest most jarring change seem to be that the First Easter Mirage Corps aka FEMC has been replaced by the Zarathustra Krieg Kampfritter Mirage aka ZKKM.
With the loss of the Blood Cross Dagger symbol, hands down the most recognized symbol of the FSS.

I have been trying to keep up with the changes as much as possible, posting changes to tumblr and reddit (although the FSS subreddit is only read by like 5 people).

Professor Desty Nova

Post by Professor Desty Nova » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:19 pm

I was curious if the GTM movie would influence FSS, but... Wow!

Is it for being "photo scans", or did almost everybody, including Mortar Heads, gone on a diet!? :?

And doesn't the Black Knight now looks like a classical music instrument ( violin, viola, cello, etc.)! :shock:

PS: Does the story continues from the end of book 12?

PPS: And getting a "copyright problem" more than 20 years after the last L-Gaim... :(
Professor Desty Nova
Researching Karma the Hard Way!

levrin

Post by levrin » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:04 pm

Nagano has always been fond of skinny stick people, but it does seem a bit more extreme this time around. The story does continue from the end of book 12: Hathuha is broken into pieces and all their neighbors are either trying to eat them or help them with the intent of increasing their own influence. The various chunks of Hathuha are having enough trouble on their own that none of them have the resources to help each other. AKD is ostensibly neutral, but a lot of the Mirage Knights put in for vacation and come by anyway.

HydraMirage

Post by HydraMirage » Wed May 15, 2013 1:13 pm

Whoa!!!
I'm actually in Japan for a few days and it's been a while since I checked out some FSS. I was going to drop by the Volks HQ in Kyoto, so I was doing a bit of FSS research and this came up !!!
What did I miss !?
1) what is FSS Tracer EX1&2 ? I can't find anything in English about them, all the manga stores are carrying it...
2) I picked up GTM world guide... Is this FSS ? There is a Redesigned siren... and what looks like a flying Bang Doll... Are the two connected ?
3) I haven't seen the Newtype scans yet, June issue is out here... Redesigned FSS mechs ? All of them ? Whoa ? Seems like an impossible challenge, he spent years designing the originals, we still haven't seen the Mighty series in battle, something I was really looking forward to...

[edit] ok saw the scans... No idea whats happening with the story, I need to get some translations of vol12...
New AKD Mirage armor is beautiful, Black Knight is awful... Like a Cello Transformer...
I wish Nagano had gradually introduced the new designs within the story, rolling it out this way is crazy, unless it was a copyright thing...
Either way, good to see new stuff, I'm looking forward to watching GTM once there is a copy with subs...
4) what is the main gothic made mech called ? Is it AKD?

Looking forward to some info...
Thanks !

PS. Will try to drop by Volks tomorrow... Questions anyone?

levrin

Post by levrin » Wed May 15, 2013 3:27 pm

Tracer Ex1 and Ex2 are basically Nagano and a bunch of other authors/artists/whatever talking about FSS. A lot of interview articles, illustrations with commentary.

GTM takes place early in the Joker calendar and there's a lot of foreshadowing of future events, so technically yes, it is FSS.

Should I seriously just write an extended summary of volumes 11 and 12 for all those people who can't read Japanese?

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu May 16, 2013 8:54 am

levrin wrote:Tracer Ex1 and Ex2 are basically Nagano and a bunch of other authors/artists/whatever talking about FSS. A lot of interview articles, illustrations with commentary.

GTM takes place early in the Joker calendar and there's a lot of foreshadowing of future events, so technically yes, it is FSS.

Should I seriously just write an extended summary of volumes 11 and 12 for all those people who can't read Japanese?
You offered! Just now you did!
Shinei!