FSS scheduled for May 2013 Newtype

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Re: FSS scheduled for May 2013 Newtype

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:54 am

levrin wrote:I'm not happy with apparently everyone using Gat Blows as default weaponry. After spending so long establishing melee combat as standard, suddenly everyone has a beam rifle.
Agreed. i hope that use of the classic melee weapons dont go away. the reasonfor the use of blades and heavy weapons in headdliner combat makes sense con sidering that bullets and beams simply do not do enough damage to the body to stop a headdliner consistently.
Shinei!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:01 pm

well, I saw the scans. It seems to be the same old FSS but with new mecha.
Shinei!

Euhsung

Post by Euhsung » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:32 pm

I think they are inspired by PSO's Gunslash. It looks like Nagano is adding another element to the Speid/Spaad business by having them both long/short range weapons.

The scene where Miron hangs on to that Shoelace's arm is hilarious.

I also like Ninaris's design.

levrin

Post by levrin » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:39 pm

Oh, this isn't the first time Nagano's used them, but if I wanted Nagano mechs wielding gunblades I'd watch Brain Powerd again.

DYNAKYRIS

Post by DYNAKYRIS » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:28 pm

Any chance of getting that ZIP on a Dropbox or file upload? It took forever to come halfway through before just giving up on my end.

levrin

Post by levrin » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:12 pm

Euhsung wrote:The scene where Miron hangs on to that Shoelace's arm is hilarious.
Yeah, the size difference between Schmeis and the fatimas around him makes it look like he's carrying an oversized doll and in the small text they're all acting like rescued kittens.

I'll rehost the zip for now: (edit: link removed now that better scans are available)
Quick summary: Black Knight and gang make a surprise attack on an undermanned base to destroy undeployed equipment, while those present mount a desperate defense.
Last edited by levrin on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

DYNAKYRIS

Post by DYNAKYRIS » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:16 pm

Excellent, I'll do the same on my end when I catch it later tonight. Thanks.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:51 am

I actually down loaded it onto my Android phone. Took a little while and to my surprise, the office app was able to open the zip file. I plan to d/l them on my desktop sometime today and get a better look at the scans than on a 4" screen.
Shinei!

DYNAKYRIS

Post by DYNAKYRIS » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:33 pm

Thanks again, Levrin!

Readers must've been floored when they turned that page.
EST in the cockpit looks insane.
It appears that the FatimAutomatic Flowers got reinspired by the Chobits that were inspired by them. It also seems as if the computergirls this time around are too thin to get hit by bullets anymore. :p (Spoke to soon.) Hope to see more ruined Fatimas as in the earlier days of FSS, lest we forget the edgy factor of these things being glorified iPhones and not just cute little ladies. (Or in the case of that one guy, tiny ladies.)
Schpeltor looks ridiculous. Heh, this is like watching a bunch of dangerous chandeliers having it out. This is gonna take some getting used to.
EST!!! I wonder what she and Decors are chatting about. "40 years...?" He's being NICE to her? (Either he's getting old or he's gonna die next issue.)
"Zarathustra Kreig Kamplitter Mirage"...whuh?

So what of all those exotic European, Japanese, and Star Warsian swords that practically counted as admission to appear in FSS Designs?

& who's the Gaw Ha ESTee-looking Headdliner(?) next to the little girl in those TRACER scans?

What a ride!

levrin

Post by levrin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:04 pm

Apparently Decors gets a bit mellow after a fight; they're talking about the accumalated stress damage to the Black Knight's Lion Detonics Frame over the 40 years he's had it (Joker years are something like 1/3 Earth years?). So Decors decides to send it in for an overhaul and tells Est to go to Morard for maintenance as well, having heard from Meeth previously (when she was fixing up casualties regardless of which side they were on) that good fatima maintenance can't be done by just anyone, especially for a special case like Est. Meanwhile, Joe seems to be frustrated that he's still only #2 after Decors even with Schpeltor.

levrin

Post by levrin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:35 pm

DYNAKYRIS wrote:& who's the Gaw Ha ESTee-looking Headdliner(?) next to the little girl in those TRACER scans?
My Chinese is not nearly as good as my Japanese, but I'm pretty sure that's Kaien's genetic mother from the Super Empire, upon whom the Black Knight and Est were eventually based.
fss_v11_p51.jpg
fss_v11_p51.jpg (155.01 KiB) Viewed 4444 times

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:31 pm

levrin wrote:
DYNAKYRIS wrote:& who's the Gaw Ha ESTee-looking Headdliner(?) next to the little girl in those TRACER scans?
My Chinese is not nearly as good as my Japanese, but I'm pretty sure that's Kaien's genetic mother from the Super Empire, upon whom the Black Knight and Est were eventually based.
fss_v11_p51.jpg
That would be Skinzu, Kaien's Father. His mother would be the "little girl" next to him, Princess I Yarn Vatshu a member of Super Empire royalty (not sure how she relates to NEIN) and thus she has both Headdliner and very powerful Diver genes. Yeah, EST's appearance is based on her and the Black Knight MH was named after her before "the change".
Shinei!

levrin

Post by levrin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:55 pm

Not my fault tall image attachments need to be scrolled~ Also, the little girl is Magdall; that picture was in Smoke Walls. A number of the new illustrations seem to be old ones with Gat Blows added to them.

Euhsung

Post by Euhsung » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:32 am

It is worth noting that in Tracer (which has been translated into Chinese), Nein is Unio (sp?) III, and her Fatima is Optical Typhoon. Yarn is now Unio IV and Nein's literal daughter; her fatima is Neeb. Unio V is a shadowy figure who will never be revealed in the manga, and is the symbol of Joker (as Nein was the symbol of AD), the memory of humanity. Pretty lofty stuff. I think it may have something to do with the mysterious girl in School Designs.

Tower will make her debut in Part 3, something I am immensely looking forward to. I think O'haine of the Lake looks absolutely gorgeous as well in the April photos. There is also a tribute page to Chieko Honda, VA for Fanneria Amu, who passed away in February of cancer.

Finally, the AF website has updated. Depre now pilots the Kaizerin. Concord now has the epithet 'Glass'.

@Levrin: I never watched Brain Powerd (only seen models from conventions), but the impression I get from the GUT Blow is PSO inspired. I am not very fond of them, they look more like crutches with funny handles than actual weapons.

levrin

Post by levrin » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:39 am

I think Designs 3 mentioned in passing that Kombinat Unio was an alternate name for the Super Empire.

Looking at new timeline stuff indicates that the oracle girl in Gothicmade is basically the Atoll Priestess, so it's no surprise that Kaiserin is actually The Empress. (Nagano is so obsessed with German.)