Watched the FSS Movie Again...

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Watched the FSS Movie Again...

Post by Tachyon » Sun May 15, 2005 10:39 pm

Yesterday I finally got the chance to watch the FSS movie on DVD that I purchased weeks ago. I invited over a friend who is new to FSS.

I really enjoyed it. I'd seen it before but it was years ago and there were no subtitles available then. My friend and I laughed and cheered at appropriate times and both agreed that Landwan Spaccorn is very cool.

The movie took liberties with certain details and [sadly] left out Rognar but I recommend it to anyone looking for a good sci-fi movie.

How about a sequal that covers book 2?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun May 15, 2005 11:13 pm

Well, with Nagano and Wife's new studio which focuses on such things as Animation, we could very well get to see more of FSS animated. I'm hoping that this is one of the reasons for creating Edit! And considering the Author of the book is The Big Boss, I don't think they have any choice but to be faithful to it :)

I also aquired a new copy of the FSS movie and it never ceases to astound me how goregous the animation was...especially considering that it was made around 1988-89. At that point very few animations reached its level of quality with the exception of a few anime films with incredibly high budgets (Akira) so that goes to show how much dedication the animators had for the tale, that they put in so much effort...

And it is just plain fun to watch.
Shinei!

Schpeltor

Post by Schpeltor » Mon May 16, 2005 5:48 am

Just got the DVD on Saturday - very well done. Had a fansub from some friends from back in 1990, and the 2 translations were very close. Not much in the way of extras on the disc, but ah well.

Character design was slightly off, and they did leave out Rogner and the prologue & epilogue to chapter 1, but otherwise it was pretty accurate.

Is it true Nagano was unhappy with the way it turned out?

PS - Oh yeah, they left out Voards discovering Sopp in the shower...

:)

2000YearsOldMan

Post by 2000YearsOldMan » Mon May 16, 2005 2:56 pm

To: All FSS fans
Nagano was very happy about the character's look in the movie.
And there will be no any FSS movie for a long time, because from what I heard, the biggest reason why not to animate FSS is: MH is too much detail, and that is why in movie MH only fought for 5 minutes.
Sorry to all the FSS fans. :(
original gundam series rule.
my site www.ericguoart.com

Falk

Post by Falk » Mon May 16, 2005 7:22 pm

Broarf, really ?

Make CG MH, a toon shader, and there you go :D

Wasn't there a story about Nagano removing the distribution rights or something ? A bit too much if it's only about the mecha... ^^
Well I'm not sure anyone knows the exact story...

What I really didn't liked in the movie was the voices, and something in the way they drew the characters, not really sure what exactly, just a few details, that make them look a bit too much shojo, or clamp-ish.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Mon May 16, 2005 9:21 pm

I agree with Falk here:

With computer animation today, MH's would be no problem at all. Just check some of the MH CG art in the "Fan Art" threads. Those look fantastic..think what an Anime studio with budget could accomplish.

Ultimately, now that Nagano owns his own animation studio (or whatever it is) FSS could conceivably be animated because Nagano would have full control...he would probably just need investors (of which I'm sure there would be several willing to contribute)
Shinei!

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Wed May 18, 2005 8:46 pm

I remember reading something like Nagano saying that he really liked the way the characters looked, that he thinks they looked better than his own drawing, much like what 2000YearsOldMan said.

However, his idea was to have 3D CG for the MHs, I think he was really disappointed that this was not done. As for the leaving out the prologue, reason is to prevent confusion for people who are new to FSS.

BTW, did u guys know that Nagano was deeply influenced by Star Wars? His idea about skipping to and fro when telling the story is becoz he was surprised when he learnt that the old trilogy of SW was infact the "middle" 3 stories (episodes 4 to 6) of the total of 9 parts. He found it to be a very unique way of telling a story. :roll: Nagano's FSS version sure confused the hell outta everybody. :twisted:
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

2000YearsOldMan

Post by 2000YearsOldMan » Fri May 20, 2005 12:15 am

I am really happy if they can make a CG MH FSS animation.
But I don't like they to do the character in CG. :wink:
original gundam series rule.
my site www.ericguoart.com