The Five Star CDs

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

DYNAKYRIS

The Five Star CDs

Post by DYNAKYRIS » Wed May 30, 2012 6:14 pm

I had always enjoyed bits of the FSS movie's soundtrack, but it wasn't until a particular viewing last summer that I really got into tracking its CD down. Eventually (YouTube-surfing) I learned of other related albums, hunted 'em down, and now am sharing the hell out of 'em for the enjoyment of fellow fanatics. Follow this link for their storage grounds. Encoded into 320k-MPIII with freshly-scanned 600x600 album artwork with the Genre set as "Anime" for simplicity's sake. Brace yourself for album title variation. ;|

The Five Star Stories Original Soundtrack (FSS-OST.rar)
Tomoyuki Asakwa's orchestral soundtrack to the 1988 animated adaptation of FSS book one; just GRAND all over the place!
The early part of "Prologue" sounds like outer space; the kick-up sends you traveling the stars, Star Trek-style. (This sudden jump may be a little jarring to those very familiar with the way of the music in the movie opening, which cuts in a bit of "AT THE SUNRISE" before the spacejump at the title card.)
The gentle, passionate, and tragic strings of "Fatima no Teema" have made this one of the most listened to bits of music in recent memory. This extremely romantical-sounding tune, played as Colus and Clotho get acquainted, is the reason I made the soundtrack mine.
BLEGH, the harsh organs of "DESTINY", the only track I wouldn't stick around for. X| I don't mind organs, usually, but the one taking center stage seems a bit...I don't know. I just can't take it in stride for an entire track. (Not to mention I don't remember it being in the film.) Harp comes in for a bit, at least. I read somewhere there's a musical cue to another show Asakawa had scored, Vampire Princess Miyu.
Unfortunately, a couple of songs in the film are no-show, such as the background of Laki's reveal.
I tag in Romanized Japanese [with certain habits* when it comes to stuff like the dash-mark, for example], but if you'd like to retag into English, refer to its VGMdb entry, which I just had to update the day the CD came in. :]
*[VGMdb editors have undone some of these into their standard.]

THE FIVE STAR STORIES: GREEN and GOLD (FSS-G&G.rar)
Maria Kawamura's 1988 Image Album dedicated to the world of The Five StarS. I needed to get this for "LANDSCAPE" (first caught YouTube-surfing), which, so far as I can tell, is about a sad wind crossing an arid land and further demolishing a ruined town. I think. But the way she says, "kara-kara...kara-kara...kara-kara." sounds hot. ("Karakara" is apparently an onomatopoeic word for "parched" or "dry".)
Mamoru Nagano does an interesting job bookending the album with "WONDER STORY" and "BURNING BLUE", you get a groovy break in the midst with the acoustic "WINDY TALES", and "GITANO" (which I've been feeling recently) hits you off with the prog-rock.
Overall, it's a decent album with a broad selection of aural flavors and moods.

THE FIVE STAR STORIES (FSS.rar)
Nagano's 1990 debut album, also dedicated to one of our fave comics. IMHO he did a more interesting job with his GREEN and GOLD cuts than with the entirety of this brief record. :| "LEFTSIDE-MIRAGE", which I enjoyed a little bit, returns to the present as the theme for his podcast, MAMO☆SHIN. ("WHITE (A, on E)" is another tune appearing on the 'cast, backing end-of-show info.) "BABY SITTER" sounds like what's happening in the painting of the same name (used as the cover of FSS III as well as the album), and, while...interesting...I just find the idea of being locked in a rusty chamber for centuries with Laki & Clotho casually practicing synth-keyboard terrifying. 'Specially the part where I happen to be the Colus-mummy. 8| Scary stuff.

Well, that about does 'er. Download 'em, torrent 'em, seed 'em, spread 'em around, and let these obscurities prevail! Enjoy, FiveStar feenS!

...and if any of you know where I can buy the CD for Maria Kawamura's SUPER NOVA, warnabrother! O_O

levrin

Re: The Five Star CDs

Post by levrin » Thu May 31, 2012 7:34 am

I'm not much for buying CDs, but it looks like a couple of the used sellers on Amazon Japan are willing to ship internationally. http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/offer-listin ... ition=used

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu May 31, 2012 11:45 am

Thanks! I'll be listening to these as soon as I have a chance to sit down at home.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

DYNAKYRIS

Post by DYNAKYRIS » Thu May 31, 2012 4:30 pm

levrin wrote:I'm not much for buying CDs, but it looks like a couple of the used sellers on Amazon Japan are willing to ship internationally. http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/offer-listin ... ition=used
:D

Would you happen to know if I need to create a Japanese account to do this?

[EDIT: Seems so. Like Mario says, "Here we gooo!"]

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:27 am

I used to have the FSS Original Soundtrack. I have no idea what happened to it. Sucks, I liked that disc.
Shinei!