FSS Designs 4?

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

FSS Designs 4?

Post by Tachyon » Thu May 03, 2012 12:48 pm

Any news on FSS Designs 4? I saw some material that hints there will be a volume 4. Now that Gothic Made is finishing will FSS manga pick up again?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

DYNAKYRIS

Re: FSS Designs 4?

Post by DYNAKYRIS » Thu May 03, 2012 7:03 pm

None I've come across, but we do get hints as to what it could contain in the opening pages of a previous DESIGNS. THEN AGAIN, considering Nagano and the time that has passed since DESIGNS started rolling out, it could be more varied than planned.

I'm safely guessing we'll see more artwork concerning the pre-JC times and more of those cyber freaks marked with the "Hand of Caligula". It'd be sweet to see new work related to Lachesis' time-wandering.
Last edited by DYNAKYRIS on Tue May 15, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Fri May 04, 2012 4:59 am

My thoughts are that D4 will contain a lot of info on stuff that has only been hinted at. Monarch Sacred, Hand of Caligula, maybe info on Lachesis travels (mentioned above) and maybe some stuff about the various gods and spirits of Joker and Taika etc.
Shinei!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:59 pm

Hobby Link Japan just accepted my payment for 2 copies of FSS Designs 4. I'm pretty sure they're going to ship them to me on Monday. One copy is for reading while the other copy is for... setting next to the scanner. Yeah.

Dave Z

Post by Dave Z » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:27 pm

HLJ shipped my copy, tracking says I should have it by Thursday (fingers crossed).

levrin

Post by levrin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:37 pm

Still waiting on other stuff at HLJ for me, since I'm also getting March and April Newtypes and some gunpla.

Dave Z

Post by Dave Z » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:57 pm

Larger format then the last 3 Design book, the size of Knight Flags, but still softcover with 144 Pages.
Pages 10-31 detailing GothicMade mecha
Pages 32-55 Automaticflowers "Assiria Separate" and GothicMade Control Suits.
Pages 56-93 Laan character bios
Pages 95-114 The Empire Fillmore Great Scholti Combinart
Pages 115-126 Character Designs 4
Pages 127-144 Appendix

Not very much new art that hasn't appeared online or elsewhere.
Unfortunately very hard to scan without damaging or removing the spin.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:25 pm

My FSS Designs 4 still hasn't come. The Yamato 2199 books all came but no love from Nagano. :(

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:16 pm

My FSS Designs 4 arrived. Could you guys help me out? Why do the mortar heads look so different? I don't recognize the names. And what's with that funny knee joint?

levrin

Post by levrin » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:00 pm

The short answer is that Gothicmade has replaced Heavy Metal L-Gaim as the baseline for Five Star Stories. I imagine Nagano actually explains somewhere why he made that change, but since I don't have Designs 4 yet I don't know if it's in there anywhere. The joints are weird because Nagano is not a mechanical engineer but someone must have told him about the square-cube law so he can't just scale up human joints like he did before.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:41 pm

Maybe I'm way off (it wouldn't be the first time) but this sounds like a major revision for Five Star Stories. So, the GothicMade movie becomes an earlier era of the FSS universe? Should these new mecha designs be called mortar heads? Should we create a new section of the Gears Online FSS pages and isolate the new material there? What should I keep in mind as I approach adding FSS Designs 4 images to the Gears pages?

Perhaps it would be best to hold off answering my questions until you get your copy of the book and read it. Thank you for your help understanding this.

levrin

Post by levrin » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:43 pm

One of these days I'll translate the new timeline but yes, Gothicmade is officially part of the FSS timeline taking place on planet Both in JC451; GTM Kaiserin replaces MH Empress of Flame. The only mechanical changes to new FSS are the replacement of all MH with GTMs and spaads with gat-blow energy gunblades. The rest are just same-thing-with-new-name terminology changes (mostly in German). Presumably if the large-format manga reprint ever happens all the dialogue will be retconned to match.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:52 am

the only reason I can think as to why he would make such drastic changes would be is if there was some sort of Cease and Desist from Sunrise about the L-Gaim content in FSS. That makes the most sense. The other reason that makes sense is that Nagano finally snapped. Probably both.
Shinei!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:52 am

some scans from a FSS Tumblr.

http://thefivestarstories.tumblr.com/

Looks like some of where Nagano explains the inner workings of GTMs. Damnit Nagano! We just got the Internal Structure of MH article translated! Damn you to hell!
Shinei!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue May 20, 2014 2:12 pm

I noticed those in FSS Designs 4. So, what are we to make of them? Are they an addition? A major revision? Why is that new material there?